Axe FX sounds muffled and muddy

If everything is on as it should be (power amp modelling and cab), you're hooked up properly and your guitar isn't doing anything weird (tone control wound back), then it's your monitoring and the level you're monitoring at.

With all the above in place, I would adjust the EQ on the global output that you have your speakers connected to, and at the volume you are playing at, to get them to sound how you want. A great way to do this is to play some music through the Axe FX (connect via USB to your computer and use as the audio interface) and adjust the EQ until you're happy. Then try your presets and tweak those to taste based on your guitar/playing/preferences/volume etc.

It's easy to overlook that you really need to EQ your speakers for your room, volume and speakers themselves to get a baseline of what will work for you.
Thanks for the reply, I’ve tried adjusting the output eq to various presets but I haven’t tried adjusting it to music yet. I’ll definitely have to try it.

On the monitor side of things, the Arc Studio has done wonders for my monitor setup. You use a mic to take measurements and then the box applies EQ to adjust for the room and the monitor itself. After the initial setup, it's all XLR cables and doesn't need a computer. It's been a game changer for me as I can finally make tones at home that translate properly to the PA.

Hmm... I guess it depends on what we're talking about.
OP would likely be using a mic cable - XLR to XLR.
But to a Fryette Power Station line input (it's unbalanced) that's correct. Guitar cable is fine, humbuster's better in some cases.
I've got clients who are sometimes trying to take a TRS line level +4 outs to TRS line level inputs with a guitar cable (sometimes with only tip connected lol) and swearing "yeah but it worked last week"...
The 1/4" (TRS for Humbuster) outputs on Fractal should not be connected to TRS inputs according to the manual.

I have never seen a power amp or FRFR with a TRS 1/4" input. They are usually TS and designed for instrument cables, or they are XLR (or Combi XLR/TS). Doesn't mean they don't exist but I've not encountered any...

I did have a co-worker/friend connect my power amp that I was selling to his speaker cabinet with an instrument cable... And then tell me he didn't want the amp because it sounded bad! Even after I explained his mistake he didn't want to buy it...

The 1/4" (TRS for Humbuster) outputs on Fractal should not be connected to TRS inputs according to the manual.

I have never seen a power amp or FRFR with a TRS 1/4" input. They are usually TS and designed for instrument cables, or they are XLR (or Combi XLR/TS). Doesn't mean they don't exist but I've not encountered any...

I did have a co-worker/friend connect my power amp that I was selling to his speaker cabinet with an instrument cable... And then tell me he didn't want the amp because it sounded bad! Even after I explained his mistake he didn't want to buy it...
Yes exactly - you'd use XLR to TRS cables from Fractal to TRS inputs, eg 1/4" line inputs on an audio interface or 1/4" line inputs on a mixer. Trying to run a TRS line level output into a direct box with a guitar cable pretty much = sucky audio.

re: power amp and FRFR 1/4" - I guess most of my current use cases are with studio gear and running FOH. So smaller mains speakers e.g. QSC K12.2's or whatever... these are all balanced inputs on the XLR-1/4" Combi connectors - so the 1/4" is TRS. Perhaps you don't consider these as FRFR? (just wondering if I've misappropriated what FRFR encompasses). Same with studio monitors that have Combi inputs, stage boxes etc.
Same for power amps - if they have 1/4" inputs they are generally balanced inputs - in fact I can't think of a power amp that has unbalanced 1/4" inputs unless it's a pedal board amp expecting a direct in from pedals or guitar - but these are TS not just unbalanced but high impedance.

fyi I don't mean to be niggling - just trying to wrap my head around terms and perspectives...

Yes exactly - you'd use XLR to TRS cables from Fractal to TRS inputs, eg 1/4" line inputs on an audio interface or 1/4" line inputs on a mixer. Trying to run a TRS line level output into a direct box with a guitar cable pretty much = sucky audio.
Or connect the 1/4" outputs with TS cables.

It works just fine. I did that for years with Axe Fx II and Axe Fx III plus a Matrix GT800 with Combi jacks.

I've also used TS to connect to my EV PXM-12MP although I mostly use XLR to XLR.

I've also used TS to connect to my studio monitors.

If you weren't intended to use TS cables then the Axe Fx III wouldn't come with 3 sets of outputs designed to use them ;)

Back
Top Bottom