axe fx sounds muddy

listening to the clip I'd say at best it's an IR problem, worst case your guitar is just a darker instrument (which isnt even a worst case imo its just something to learn to work around, usually with a really bright IR). try using the citrus 4x12 mix its one of the last factory IR's

I also have been playing with my ibanez prestige 7 string and it's the total opposite of my les Paul and I'm getting the same muddy tone as my les Paul. Idk. Every preset I try lacks tight crunchy tone that you seem to be getting.

The Illuminators in the Majesty are surprisingly hot. That may be part of the gain difference you're hearing.

Is your input level set at default, 50%? You can play around with that if you want to see if it helps. Just don't stay in the red. Also, make sure on the I/O menu on Input 1 Mode is set to Left Only. It makes a difference in gain opposed to using L+R Sum.

Hitting red occasionally is fine, the threshold is -6db when red lights up. It's when you're hitting solid red all the time that you need to be concerned. Bump it up to 50% and see if it sounds better to you.

OK, since i lost fractool on my hard drive somewhere I had to re download it to load the preset but here's what I came up with. all i did was drop the master, fiddle with the BMT and input gain and then swapped IR's to one of the ML stock IR's (the mesa trad 57-421 mix). the guitar is a blackmachine copy the ash bodied and has a dimarzio titan set in it

Edit: I feel like I should also mention that particular HBE model is pretty bass heavy as is (unless im confusing the mid prominent and mid scooped ones, entirely possible)

Try a filter block at the end of the chain with a +1db high shelf from 1khz :)

Try the 5153 amp

Last edited:
I did try the 5153 50w blue and it lacks gain tightness and clarity just like all the other amp models even when I put a ts 808 in front of the amp it still is lacking. Don't get me wrong I don't mind tweeting I actually love it but with my set up these amp models seem unworkable.

I did try the 5153 50w blue and it lacks gain tightness and clarity just like all the other amp models even when I put a ts 808 in front of the amp it still is lacking. Don't get me wrong I don't mind tweeting I actually love it but with my set up these amp models seem unworkable.

If tightness is what you want then lower that gain. I had a really bright crunchy tone by using the green 5153 100watt model. Use about 5.5 on input gain, bass 3-4,middle 6-7,treble 6-8 , presence 6, master 7.5. Then put a 808 drive or a FAS boost In front of it with around 1-3.5 gain and around 8-8.5on the output.
For cabs I used the stock 5153 mix 1 cab for the meat mixed with a Marshall for the bright fizz.

With djent I think less gain = more clarity and brightness.

I've found with my taste in guitar tones, what I consider dark and muddy is usually a perfectly good sound for others. I just tend to prefer really bright tones.

Try messing with the character parameter on the final page of the amp block. For almost all of my high gain rhythm patches I'll set the character type to dynamic, frequency around 600 or 630, leave the Q where it's at and set the amount somewhere between 2 and 4. This along with turning on the bright switch and adjusting its setting and amount could help. Just don't go to crazy as it can make your tone brittle and harsh if you go overboard.

How is you pickup height ? If it's too far from strings it will be weak and muddy

All soundclips so far sound muddy and bass heavy to me. Not an open sound. Did you try another amp model or cab model or mess with the EQ?

Back
Top Bottom