Axe-Fx sounds flubby and too distorted

Start a new preset and do a tonematch of a good tone but find an isolated point. Tweak from there maybe?

try this:

guitar -> 5153 model (gain: no more than 5, bass: 4, mid, treble, pres.: 6, speaker drive: 0.5) -> ML 5153 cab (or some other equivalent) with NO R121 (my current favorite is 57+421). IR's shot with that mic just have too much bass for electric guitar, IMO.

In the cab block, set the low cut to 120Hz, and hi cut to some value you like (I set it to 12KHz, since ML IR's don't have too much fizz).

That should be tight enough.

If lots of presets exhibit the same issue then you need to think about external factors... maybe your room has some resonant peaks in the frequencies associated with 'flub'. Of course this wouldn't apply when monitoring through headphones.

Ultimately there is a list of things to try including the following:

Use different guitars
Try different rooms
Move and adjust the position of your monitor speakers
Compare and contrast with other people using the same preset to obtain a baseline
And.. other 'things'... but more advice will be on hand from others too.

Thanks for your input but,

I've been using the Axe-Fx for over ten years, in the same room, with the same speakers, with lots of different guitars.
So that's not the issue.

some of the stuff you'd done in the cab block like lower the hi cut and turn up proximity weren't helping

I've checked the preset and proximity was on 0. Cab was set to Global Cab 10 so that might have been it. So you were probably seeing your own settings.

I had some trouble unlinking it. It was linked to Cab10 but I could only unlink it by first linking it to Cab9 and the unlinking it. Strange.
Anyhoo.
Here's the link to the preset I recorded with:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrb2wfsx63exsz7/Plexi 100W 1970.syx?dl=0

I know the controls go up to ten - too bad they don't go up to 11 ;-) - but I just wanted to use the default settings - since they are a good starting point - and just record something as an example.

So, in my cabs I have Lo cut at 80Hz, Hi Cut at 7000 Hz with a filter slope of 12Db/Oct.

@Unicorn62
Since the cab was linked to a global block, you should disregard this. i've posted a link to the preset with the cab unlinked. I used a Factory Cab #057
The ENGL had waaaaaay to much gain for my taste.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've been fiddling my presets - one with the 6550 plexi and one with the #34 JCM 800 - and all sounds fine now

Here's an example:
Rain - Plexi 6550 - Tele DiMarzio AreaT

The Cab: OH 412 Mar-CB H75 160-06

i can't load the patch, it just comes up with the amp block set to default, but the recording sounds pretty bad

you are using quite a bassy cab, with the proximity turned up

try this
amp - reset it and then
bass 0
mid 8
treb 7.5
pres 7
treb drive 7
norm drive 2
motor drive - 4

cab - reset it and then
F103

some of the stuff you'd done in the cab block like lower the hi cut and turn up proximity weren't helping

it's quite a dark amp that one

keep the same cab and then try the 50w 6550 amp
gain - 6
bass - 3
mid - 7
treb - 7
motor drive 4

here's what the 6550 sounds like to me with those settings

http://simeonharris.co.uk/misc/plexi.wav
Just tried the settings for the 6550 as Simeon has proposed. Great idea, inspired me to play some good old hardrock stuff for more than one hour. Put a superdrive and a eq (to boost the mids) in front of the amp. Awesome sound, thanks Simeon

Back
Top Bottom