Axe-Fx settings for "Money for nothing..." ?

setzinger

Hi,

my band wants my Axe sounding like the fat guitar on the beginning of "Money for nothing ..." from the Dire Straits album.
What settings may come close to this sound?
My stuff: PRS Custom 24 -> Axe-Fx Standard -> two RCF 310a (stereo FRFR).

thanx for help!

setzinger

Les paul is used.
Part of the soundis that the two pick-ups are wired in reverse. The resulting phase cancellation makes it so special.

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_classic_tracks_dire/

Read that. It'll give you more info than we could. The shortest useful clip is:
Dorfsman says that on "Money for Nothing," Knopfler played a Les Paul Junior through a Kelly amp miked with two Shure SM57s, one close and the other "in that weird spot, like seven inches back and pointing to the side," he laughs.
He talks about how the mics were in some unique configuration that they could never achieve again. No wah or other tricks, just messed up mic placement.

I find that if I play it correctly it sounds right. It's more about technique than amp settings. That said, I use the high gain channel from my Guytron, the Soldano model will do the trick for modelling. Then add in a good amount of midrange via a graphic EQ or park a wah model or filter.

JT

scarr said:
http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_classic_tracks_dire/

Read that. It'll give you more info than we could. The shortest useful clip is:
Dorfsman says that on "Money for Nothing," Knopfler played a Les Paul Junior through a Kelly amp miked with two Shure SM57s, one close and the other "in that weird spot, like seven inches back and pointing to the side," he laughs.
He talks about how the mics were in some unique configuration that they could never achieve again. No wah or other tricks, just messed up mic placement.

I guess they never played it live then ;-) They were miming!!!

Get a Pod XT...there used to be a 'Money...' patch which, when played right, sounded pretty close :lol: ! It used a parked wah definitely. If I find the time I'll try to find my old XT and have a look how it was done...

There is more of a story to this than the Mix article lets on. Does anyone else know the Billy Gibbons part of the tale? Mark called him and asked how he got the "Legs" tone. He wouldn't say... So the resulting experiment is what produced the tone in question!

Back
Top Bottom