AXE FX Recto Red vs real MESA Roadster

Definitely preferred the first clip over the second clip... the 'honk' description was spot on. Very muddy and undefined is what I heard with the second clip. I'm sure it may sound much different in person.

Preferred one over the other but you are correct, they are not the same.

Exactly. It doesn't matter which one you prefer. What matters is that they are not the same. That thing you call "honk" is exactly the way a Recto cuts through in a mix.

I think the gain isn't exactly the same either. Roadster was a lot "hairier". Also normal Recto has that irritating stereotypical over the top presence which people try to kill eith tubescreamers but Roadking has a very smooth character.

Preferred one over the other but you are correct, they are not the same.

Exactly. It doesn't matter which one you prefer. What matters is that they are not the same. That thing you call "honk" is exactly the way a Recto cuts through in a mix.

I think the gain isn't exactly the same either. Roadster was a lot "hairier". Also normal Recto has that irritating stereotypical over the top presence which people try to kill eith tubescreamers but Roadking has a very smooth character.

Also normal Recto has that irritating stereotypical over the top presence which people try to kill eith tubescreamers but Roadking has a very smooth character.

Thats it - the roadster was darker/smoother which for solo'ing is great, for rhythm not so much. The honk I hear on the roadster seemed to be too low in the freq spectrum to cut - more 600-800 hz where as 1.2-1.5 is where to cut tends to be. The AFX Recto had more bright/presence in it making it tighter for me.

Either way - knock the presence and treble down and add some low mids to the AFX and it should be much closer.

An isolated track can be hard to judge. There is nothing
to fit into ?

A good idea to decide wich is good sounding is to use
it in a songrecording. I have noticed that the axe can make the mix
sound kind of weird when you add a couple of tracks. If I add a bunch of
tracks done with real amps it usually doesn't fuck up the mix in that way.

Hi,

I own a Road King 1st version.
I got very close to channel 3 vintage w/EL34 and "tube rectifiing/bold", with the SOLO 100 LEAD in AxeFXII.
The best results I got going for channel 4 modern w/6L6 and "diode/bold" are with FRYETTE D60M (also FAS modern) + a tone match. The tone match is very easy to do with this amp because it has a "slave" output that reproduces exactly the signal (at line level!) sent from the power amp to the loudspeakers. It's a perfect way to tone match.
The tone I get is very interesting : more clarity and still that same (or even better) feel of "richness" in the sound, without the background noise... and the ability of playing at low volume.
The only difference for me is not being able to reproduce the sound of hi gain on the amp + guitar volume knob turned down, loads of bite on a clean/edgy sound. Haven't found the way to do that in the AxeFX yet...
Anyhow, I'm selling my Road King.

+ Tom

recto orange-roadster.jpg

I got this close with recto orange. This shows that normal dual doesn't have that top end that roadster has. But pretty close anyways..

Hi,

I own a Road King 1st version.
I got very close to channel 3 vintage w/EL34 and "tube rectifiing/bold", with the SOLO 100 LEAD in AxeFXII.
The best results I got going for channel 4 modern w/6L6 and "diode/bold" are with FRYETTE D60M (also FAS modern) + a tone match. The tone match is very easy to do with this amp because it has a "slave" output that reproduces exactly the signal (at line level!) sent from the power amp to the loudspeakers. It's a perfect way to tone match.
The tone I get is very interesting : more clarity and still that same (or even better) feel of "richness" in the sound, without the background noise... and the ability of playing at low volume.
The only difference for me is not being able to reproduce the sound of hi gain on the amp + guitar volume knob turned down, loads of bite on a clean/edgy sound. Haven't found the way to do that in the AxeFX yet...
Anyhow, I'm selling my Road King.

+ Tom

You are absolutely right about the Fryette D60M!! Damn!! Thanks man!

Here is Fryette matched to Roadster
Fryette-Roadster.jpg

The funny thing is, before we had axe fxs, I played through a black star and the other guitarist in my band had a dual rec. my 600 dollar blackstar sounded better and cut through better. He always had to use a tube screamer or he wouldn't cut through the mix at all

I bet he tweaked his settings before you started playing? Rookie mistake. If you can't make a Dualrec cut it's broken or you don't know how to tweak it. :D

Back
Top Bottom