Axe-FX Re-Amping Tutorial

On the third hand, if I'm recording a mono preset, I'll generally record it to a stereo track with the wet in one channel and the DI in the other channel. That way, audio edits, like comping, are easily applied to both wet and DI. I might do an "advanced re-amping" video at some point to demonstrate techniques like that.
Thank you Glenn for sharing your re-amping knowledge. Did you ever get around to the advance re-amping video? It never occurred to me to record a dry and wet signal to the same track to simplify or help with editing/processing both together. It is a great tip.

Hi there, I'm trying to do reamp with my AXE FX2 and Reaper. Maybe may you help me...
I'm connecting the Axe FX2 via USB and I'm arming 2 tracks in reaper. One with "IN 1" and other with "IN 3" so I get the wet and the dry signal respectively in separate tracks. So far so good.
The problem is, when I want to reamp the dry signal I have to set the AXE to "USB" in I/O->Audio->Input source. This make the dry signal being processed with the AXE tone but it process ALSO the other tracks (drum, bass, etc...)
SO, how can I reamp just the recorded guitar dry signal while the other tracks sound unaltered?
In logic, you are using that I/O plugin. I have found nothing similar here in reaper.
Thanks in advance, and sorry if my english is not good enough

SO, how can I reamp just the recorded guitar dry signal while the other tracks sound unaltered?
In logic, you are using that I/O plugin. I have found nothing similar here in reaper.
Thanks in advance, and sorry if my english is not good enough

As I mention in the tutorial video, the plugin you’re looking for in Reaper is called “ReaInsert”.

Forgive me if I missed this, but do you set the D.I. output to -6 db for reamping per the manual?

Edit: DAW output to the Axe Fx input

Forgive me if I missed this, but do you set the D.I. output to -6 db for reamping per the manual?

No. I mention that in the video, but the purpose of recording the DI into a stereo track is to eliminate the need to do any such adjustment. (That instruction in the manual is incorrect anyway).

Thank you @GlennO for the tutorial! I never had looked into it and used the Looper block for tweak purposes, but this was actually an easy setup (with Cakewalk by Bandlab in my case).

What would be a recommendation for a D.I. tracking setup (output, specifically) when recording via SPDIF? I've got an AXE-FX III -> SPDIF -> Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre w/ProTools.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the video , I am having an issue in logic with output 5/6 not being available to send my D.I. Track.
1) I have the Axe 3 as my Input device.
2) In setup have changed input 1 to Digital & selected USB Channels 5/6 in the Digital input Source

When I attempt to change my D.I. Track from Stereo output , the only other option is surround.
On the new track I can select 5/6 for input. I tried adding the I /0 as in your video , not available there either.
Missing something simple im sure ,Thank You ! ...Ray

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the video , I am having an issue in logic with output 5/6 not being available to send my D.I. Track.
1) I have the Axe 3 as my Input device.
2) In setup have changed input 1 to Digital & selected USB Channels 5/6 in the Digital input Source

When I attempt to change my D.I. Track from Stereo output , the only other option is surround.
On the new track I can select 5/6 for input. I tried adding the I /0 as in your video , not available there either.
Missing something simple im sure ,Thank You ! ...Ray

Set your Axe-FX as your output device.

I'm having an issue with using this method via Aggregate devices in Logic.
When I have my "Output Device" set to Aggregate Device (Ae-FX 3 and Audient Interface), I get no output. Is that normal?

I'm having an issue with using this method via Aggregate devices in Logic.
When I have my "Output Device" set to Aggregate Device (Ae-FX 3 and Audient Interface), I get no output. Is that normal?

That should work fine, but sometimes it's not obvious which channel in the aggregate corresponds to which channel in the physical device. Use the Audio MIDI setup app that you used to create the aggregate to see which channel in the aggregate you should use to get output on the physical device.

Note that if you create the aggregate so the Axe-FX is the first device in the aggregate, all the channel numbers mentioned in the tutorial will work for your aggregate device.

That should work fine, but sometimes it's not obvious which channel in the aggregate corresponds to which channel in the physical device. Use the Audio MIDI setup app that you used to create the aggregate to see which channel in the aggregate you should use to get output on the physical device.

Note that if you create the aggregate so the Axe-FX is the first device in the aggregate, all the channel numbers mentioned in the tutorial will work for your aggregate device.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to get it to work. Settings in Axe-Edit are as shown in your video.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 4.51.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 4.54.03 PM.png

That looks right. Check the meters page on the home screen on your Axe-FX to verify you're getting input on usb channels 5/6. If so, make sure you've got your input on the Axe-FX set to Digital as shown in the tutorial.

That looks right. Check the meters page on the home screen on your Axe-FX to verify you're getting input on usb channels 5/6. If so, make sure you've got your input on the Axe-FX set to Digital as shown in the tutorial.
Sorry for the delayed response. Very busy with family stuff this week.

I'm not seeing any input on the meters page.

Are you sure you've set both the input and output audio device in Logic to "Aggregate Device 1"?

Yes, input and output is set to Aggregate Device 1.

In your tutorial, are you using a similar aggregate device setup?

In this current configuration, I have to set the output of the tracks to 9-10 to get any output. This also shows no output through my stereo bus in Logic but I do hear audio via my Audient interface.

I'm wondering if that is a clue as to what might be wrong?

Last edited:
9/10 for the output is correct. When I set up an aggregate just like yours, re-amping works fine. It’s hard to think of a reason why it wouldn’t work. If you send output to AxeFX usb channels from any source on your computer, you should see input on the AxeFX usb meters. So that’s the thing you need to troubleshoot. I'm pretty sure your problem doesn't have anything to do with the use of an aggregate. It’s almost certainly something simple like the usb input level on the AxeFX turned down.

Here's a brief video showing re-amping with an aggregate just like yours. As you can see in the meter activity, re-amping the DI track works fine:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom