Axe-Fx Q3.03 vs real Mesa Mark IV + **Free Preset-Cab Bundle**

Thank you Bishop! I'm sure you can make the Axe-Fx sound like anything but this sounds pretty much identical to the real life amp I'm most familiar with. :)
I hear ya. My real life amp is the 5153. Been using it since 2009 so I know how it's supposed to sound which makes it easier for me to dial in the Fractal version. I personally can't hear the difference between the real one and the digital one. But 20+ years of halfstack's blaring behind me and standing next to cymbals my ears aren't quite as sharp as they used to be.;)

I hear ya. My real life amp is the 5153. Been using it since 2009 so I know how it's supposed to sound which makes it easier for me to dial in the Fractal version. I personally can't hear the difference between the real one and the digital one. But 20+ years of halfstack's blaring behind me and standing next to cymbals my ears aren't quite as sharp as they used to be.;)
I also had the 50w version of the 5153. I also thought it was spot on similar as far as the preamp goes. We only had the 100w version of the 5153 amp sims back then.

I think that the two guitars and players are the most important difference between the two clips.

I remember helping out a guy who needed to create some sound for his Schecter 7 and 8 string guitars, when i tried the preset with a Caparison the sound was just different :)

I think that the two guitars and players are the most important difference between the two clips.

I remember helping out a guy who needed to create some sound for his Schecter 7 and 8 string guitars, when i tried the preset with a Caparison the sound was just different :)
Tell me about it. I can not for the life of me slightly palm mute the same way and down/up pick the exact same way etc. Getting my playing to be somewhat close was the biggest challenge here. :)

When I was teaching sometimes my students whanted to try my gear and they never sounded the same. Even with high gain if you keep it not too high (BE at 4-6 so to speak), the hand still makes a huge difference in the tone depending on how you mute, how hard you play, the picking angle, picking position....

A great thing about the Axe is that it keeps this thing of the good real amps.

This preset/cab combination really do sound good together.

With my EBMM-style guitar (w/ SD Custom Custom) it sounded thin and wonky. But with my custom swamp ash tele (w/ SD JB) it sounded huge and glorious, with slightly less gain than the clip you posted.

This preset/cab combination really do sound good together.

With my EBMM-style guitar (w/ SD Custom Custom) it sounded thin and wonky. But with my custom swamp ash tele (w/ SD JB) it sounded huge and glorious, with slightly less gain than the clip you posted.
Yeah these PRS 24 fretters have quite a high output with a lot of beef to them. Actually for this EP we used a JPXI and PRS Custom 24 through these amp settings. Could be that the Custom Custom is brighter also. :)

If you feel like there isn't enough gain then raise the gain knobs to about 9. We changed the gain level based on every riff on the official record we did for my band with the Mark IV.

Yeah these PRS 24 fretters have quite a high output with a lot of beef to them. Actually for this EP we used a JPXI and PRS Custom 24 through these amp settings. Could be that the Custom Custom is brighter also. :)

If you feel like there isn't enough gain then raise the gain knobs to about 9. We changed the gain level based on every riff on the official record we did for my band with the Mark IV.
I was really just making an observation on how much each guitar contributes to the sound. Very often a preset will only sound good with specific guitars. Personally, I find it very frustrating because there's no guitar that does everything, as much as I wish there was.

is Clark Kent = ML Sound Lab? I remember my old AxeFX II fav cabs were all from Clark Kent. Now that I have an AX8, I gotta get some more of these. Digging this one so far

No guessing here. First one is the Axe-Fx and the Preset-Cab Bundle that I'm sharing for free. The second one is the real Mesa Mark IV and a real Mesa 4x12 Traditional cab with an SM57 in front of it. The IR shoot is a bit dirtier than my Cab Packs but it's close enough. (didn't remove all the color from mic pres, cables etc. as I do with my Cab Packs)

Different guitar player. Different guitar. Different palm muting style is pretty evident. Same exact amp settings on the real amp and the amp sim. The GEQ is a bit different and the speaker page has been fine tuned to somewhat match the real amp. There's a high mid bump on the real amp that's been compensated for with a PEQ which you will see in the preset. You can tweak it even closer to the real amp as this is just what I got after around an hour of tweaking today and I felt I got close enough to where I'm happy. :)

Try the preset out and let me know what you think. The guitars used here are a PRS Custom 24 and a PRS CE24.

EDIT: There's now an AX8 version of the preset as well thanks to FracTool!

thank u mikko.....sounds perfect!

Back
Top Bottom