Axe-FX plugged in FOH - more chance of a shock?

RichardC

Inspired
Hey all

Just about to debut the Axe-Fx at a club here. I have been wondering for a while if I should get a wireless system, not only for ease of moving around, but mostly to reduce the chance of a shock when singing BU vox and playing.

If I'm using a cable into the Axe-FX and going direct into FOH, is there more or less chance of a ground shock if I'm touching a mike than if I was using a regular miked amp? Is there LESS chance of a shock if I'm wireless and going FOH with the Axe-FX?

Thank you for this, and all advice offered past & future. This forum is an invaluable resource.

Richard.

(Edited for clarity).

If you go wireless you will be removing a potential ground path and in theory you will be safer. However, I would say the chances of a serious shock are miniscule anyway. Most modern pro-audio gear is built to much higher standards of safety compliance and build quality than it did years ago, with some tube gear being particularly dodgy. Most stages and venues should have RCD protection now but if you have concerns then your own RCD protector wouldn't cost very much.

POB said:
If you go wireless you will be removing a potential ground path and in theory you will be safer. However, I would say the chances of a serious shock are miniscule anyway. Most modern pro-audio gear is built to much higher standards of safety compliance and build quality than it did years ago, with some tube gear being particularly dodgy. Most stages and venues should have RCD protection now but if you have concerns then your own RCD protector wouldn't cost very much.

+1. Wouldn't worry about it. I'm plugged into the Axe-FX, singing, and playing keys sometimes, never had a problem.

I don't know if I'd say "don't worry about it", though.

I don't think being plugged into FOH changes your risk level (I'm not an electrical engineer). But there are risks when the power outlet you plug your rig into is faulty (no ground, no neutral, or flipped polarity, for example). There are even greater risks that the FOH into which your mic is plugged is faulty (I mean, you know your Axe-FX is properly grounded and all, but what do you know about the mixing board at the venue?).

I never plug my rig into an unknown outlet unless I check it first (with one of those low cost power outlet checkers). The other thing I always do is this: before taking any chances, and usually during sound check, I grab my guitar by the body, making sure I don't touch any metal, and I make the strongs touch my micreophone. I've seen two events where it sparked like crazy (cost me a set of strings once), but I prefer that to dental work or a frontal lobotomy.

Daniel

Back
Top Bottom