Axe FX or FM9?

etwinn

Need some friendly advice….

I’ve had an FM9 since release and it’s served me very well. I play out a few times a month and run a SD power amp and Zilla cab on stage, as well as direct to FOH w/IRs.

I’ve recently added IEM and am thinking the Axe FX III might be the way to go moving forward, with everything put in a 6U rack case. My presets are usually around 75-79%, so I’m pushing the limits of the FM9.

Other than the obvious CPU differences, has anyone switched from the FM9 to Axe FX III? Regrets? Thoughts from the experts that I might not be thinking about?

Any thoughts are welcome:) Thanks!

I haven't switched, nor am I an expert, but I'll talk anyway. One thing that comes to mind is the on-unit editing. Do you often edit presets on stage without a laptop? I would think doing that on a rack unit would be more cumbersome than on the FM9.

The Axe-Fx is wonderfully lightweight given everything that it does. At about 15 lbs (6.9 kg) most of its volume contains air.
I'm 6'1" and 140 lbs. and I can easily carry my whole rig in one trip: Axe-Fx rack case (right hand) -- guitar+cables (backpack) -- and FC-12 (left hand).

I agree with Unix-gux that having the front panel up and forward facing makes for quick/easy edits. I put my rack up on a little Ultimate tripod stand with the laptop riding above for backing tracks.

I typically don’t edit patches once we start playing, but every room is different. This is one aspect I did not think about so thank you for the perspective.

Is there a significant “real world” difference from MK I, II, and turbo versions?

I’m also researching using midi controls instead of an FC6 or FC 12.

I'd stick to the FM9. You will end up paying a lot of extra for the FC footcontroller if you want to make the most of the Axe-Fx 3 for live use.

Hauling around the Axe-Fx 3 really comes down to form factor rather than weight. You can throw a FM9 into pretty much anything whereas you want a rack case or something to move around the Axe-Fx 3.

On top of that the Axe-Fx 3 fan becomes noticeable and IMO annoying if the unit is angled instead of straight horizontal or vertical. Obviously not a problem for live use where you would have way more noise from a lot of other stuff but noticeable in a home or studio environment unless the rack manages to muffle it. I just have mine sitting on a desk.

I adore my FX3/FC12 but would jump at the chance to get an FM9 for the portability. I really doubt I would ever hear any difference. But I might miss those extra 3 switches?

I’ve even thought of jumping ship to FM3 land, so I can bug Cliff for updates on every beta FX3 thread. Also for portability, but mainly the first thing.

I’ve had an FM9 since release and it’s served me very well. I play out a few times a month and run a SD power amp and Zilla cab on stage, as well as direct to FOH w/IRs.

I’ve recently added IEM and am thinking the Axe FX III might be the way to go moving forward, with everything put in a 6U rack case. My presets are usually around 75-79%, so I’m pushing the limits of the FM9.

Other than the obvious CPU differences, has anyone switched from the FM9 to Axe FX III? Regrets? Thoughts from the experts that I might not be thinking about?

A few questions:

Can you economize your presets to use less CPU? Perhaps split one preset across 2 presets or use lower grade (yet still stellar) verbs?

Adding a rackmount IEM rig, I can see how that changes things logistically but I dont think if I had a form factor I was happy with, I’d look to change that solely because I now use an IEM transmitter.

What ELSE is going in this 6U case? Think of weight. In and of themselves, the Fractal and a half space IEM rig is pretty light but not weightless. If you’re thinking of throwing a power amp or something else of weight in there, there’s a big difference between 50 and 70 lbs, especially if you fall in the “other than athletic” category and dont look at heavy stuff as a challenge.

I personally have both a III and an FM9, and never the twain shall meet. One lives on my desk, the other on my board. I wouldn’t be thrilled subbing one for the other.

A few questions:

Can you economize your presets to use less CPU? Perhaps split one preset across 2 presets or use lower grade (yet still stellar) verbs?

Adding a rackmount IEM rig, I can see how that changes things logistically but I dont think if I had a form factor I was happy with, I’d look to change that solely because I now use an IEM transmitter.

What ELSE is going in this 6U case? Think of weight. In and of themselves, the Fractal and a half space IEM rig is pretty light but not weightless. If you’re thinking of throwing a power amp or something else of weight in there, there’s a big difference between 50 and 70 lbs, especially if you fall in the “other than athletic” category and dont look at heavy stuff as a challenge.

I personally have both a III and an FM9, and never the twain shall meet. One lives on my desk, the other on my board. I wouldn’t be thrilled subbing one for the other.
^THIS^

Another round of great ideas! I’m very comfortable sticking with one preset and wanted to use my RMC Wah and Whammy 5, vice using the blocks in the preset. Making a small board seems to make sense to me…although maybe I’m having FOMO at the moment??

I received an FM3 MKII invite and that’s probably the better option, so I can use my petals. Plus it’s much cheaper!

Another round of great ideas! I’m very comfortable sticking with one preset and wanted to use my RMC Wah and Whammy 5, vice using the blocks in the preset. Making a small board seems to make sense to me…although maybe I’m having FOMO at the moment??

I received an FM3 MKII invite and that’s probably the better option, so I can use my petals. Plus it’s much cheaper!
Now more variables (this is good, helps us help you).

The FM3 will likely not run what you’re doing on the FM9 if you’re really close to 80% now on the FM9 (although maybe the FM3 turbo is a huge step up, I dont know but Im guessing here).

incorporating pedals to lessen the load? Yes! I use an H9, myself.

Cost? If cost is really an issue, there is no contest here. It’s the FM3.

I will tell you personally, if you’re going to incorporate the FM9 into a board, “small” isnt the word I’d use. However, an AxeFXIII with a FC6 could be. You’d have more than double the firepower and contain everything in a rack (which presents both a solution and a problem as mentioned before).

If you are just under 80% and you have a first gen FM9, maybe just get the FM9 Turbo? Then you have the other as backup...

True. I had the FM9 on a board for a bit, but with the power supply and other pedals, it made it less convenient than what I was looking for.

In my head, the rack and small pedal board (RMC/Whammy/tuner/6 switch midi) were a viable option. Plus it keeps the drunkards drinks from spilling on my Fractal gear…lol

If I decide with the AF3, are the diff negligible between the MK I, II, and turbo (sound wise)?

True. I had the FM9 on a board for a bit, but with the power supply and other pedals, it made it less convenient than what I was looking for.

In my head, the rack and small pedal board (RMC/Whammy/tuner/6 switch midi) were a viable option. Plus it keeps the drunkards drinks from spilling on my Fractal gear…lol

If I decide with the AF3, are the diff negligible between the MK I, II, and turbo (sound wise)?
Sound wise they’re not negligible, they’re non existent. The sound will be exactly the same. The difference is how many blocks you can load and a couple of slight other things. I think the MKII loads more presets or cabs. Check out the specs. But the sound is exactly the same.

They all run the same firmware.

I’m somewhat in the same boat as you. Inhave an FM3 and just ordered an Axe 3. For me, the FM3 was my first experience with fractal. I didn’t want to take the leap on the top unit but rather “graduate” to it. The FM9 looks great and I added myself to the waitlist. But passed it up. I went with the axe3 for many reasons. One being j didn’t want to be in the same place again wishing I had paid more for more versatility. With that said, I came across a YouTube video of a guy showing how he uses his IEM with the axe. It’s really impressive and he controls the mix within the axe itself. I would like to get IEMs in the future and I especially liked how they could integrate into the rack unit. Not ti mention keeping all inside one case. I guess fine will tell. Lol. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom