Axe Fx main rotating knob problem

shinodax

Hey Axe-fx-ers,

It's been a while since I got my Axe Fx Ultra but it's 2nd hand from another guy locally. I normally tweak my effects through Axe-Edit instead of the front panel but I usually switch presets through the main round knob. The irritating problem I'm facing right now is the sensitivity of the main knob.

For e.g I'm on preset 005 and I want to switch to preset 006, I turn the knob clockwise but sometimes it just zoom to preset 007 or further. And even worse, it goes backwards to 004 or further.

I wonder if it's a normal problem for all axe fx and how can I solve this. Thanks!

Cheers!

thanks for the answer. I'm located far away from US and I cant live without my Axe Fx. Maybe I will ask them for a DIY repair guide or something.

Do a search for encoder and you'll see many people with the same problem. I read in another post that this problem is common and a squirt of DeOxit contact cleaner is supposed to fix it. The plastic cap on the top face of the encoder knob pops off (The flat surface on the front). I'm going to try it in the next few days.

thanks! I emailed fractal and they gave me the exact encoder model so that I can replace it myself. I guess I wont need to replace it if the contact cleaner can solve the problem. It's getting up my nerves right now and I really need to get rid of the problem. So you can actually pull out the round knob and give a little deOxit to it?

Apparently, you dont take off the whole knob, just the flat front cap of the knob and then sparingly spray some DeOxit into the pot. BTW, what is the decoder part number in case the DeOxit doesn't work?

to install the bournes, would I have to solder and desolder the old encoder or how does the installation go? I'm comfortable working in my guitar with a soldering iron, would this be much different? I found an mk2 with a broken encoder and if this is easy to do, I can probably get a steal of a deal! let me know what's involved.

to install the bournes, would I have to solder and desolder the old encoder or how does the installation go? I'm comfortable working in my guitar with a soldering iron, would this be much different? I found an mk2 with a broken encoder and if this is easy to do, I can probably get a steal of a deal! let me know what's involved.
This thread is 13 years dead and about Axe Fx Ultra.

Also, when you say "mk2", what specific device are you talking about? I don't think there was a mk2 Ultra so either you're meaning an Axe Fx II mkII or an Axe Fx III mkII.

I would not assume that the same parts can be used.

This thread is 13 years dead and about Axe Fx Ultra.

Also, when you say "mk2", what specific device are you talking about? I don't think there was a mk2 Ultra so either you're meaning an Axe Fx II mkII or an Axe Fx III mkII.

I would not assume that the same parts can be used.
good catch. I was thinking of the mkii axe fx iii. Better ask fractal support I guess.

Back
Top Bottom