Axe FX loop / Converters / Latency and Drive Pedals

Matt Steele

Experienced
I have some technical questions about the best way to set up an external drive pedal in front of the Axe FX.

Per the Drive Pedal with science thread that was around last week, I got to thinking, I haven’t tried a real drive pedal into the Axe. I ended up trying a real one and I’m in love with the outcome, but I currently just have a Tube Screamer mini plugged in, in front of the Axe FX II. I would like to be able to switch to different presets that either incorporate the pedal, or not but that will mean incorporating the FX loop. I have fears of additional latency or sound degradation doing so.

Can anyone tell me if the signal path incorporating the FX loop has additional a/d d/a converters the signal will be forced to go through? Does this create additional latency? What is the best way to incorporate a real drive pedal with the Axe? I’d love to be able to switch to a dirty patch that incorporates the drive pedal and also switch to a clean patch that does not incorporate it without having to shut the pedal off manually.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I think you'd find more latency walking 6 foot away from your speakers than in the Axe DA/AD converters...

Back
Top Bottom