Axe-FX Live Rig Setup Question

Chelmer

Hi guys! Still pretty new to the whole Axe-FX thing, but I'm loving it so far. The next step for me, though, is designing a live rig. To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm going to need to invest in - I know the direction I need to take, but not really any specifics. I play mostly metal, high gain stuff, at least live. I do have a few older (not great) amps, speakers, perhaps a crappy power amp somewhere. What kind of gear do I need for a good live rig, so that I can potentially invest in some new stuff or piece together something from existing gear?

Thanks for any help guys!

The Axe-FX is a preamp, so you'll need a power amp and speakers, or a powered speaker, for your backline. Most new users feel more comfortable using a stage cab that they're familiar with, such as a 4x12 box, so if that's your preference, you'll need a power amp. Opinions are split on Tube vs. SS power amps - some players are like, "tubes have mojo, man" where others swear that a SS amp is lighter and sounds amazing, too.

If you opt for the SS route, be sure to buy an amp with at least five (5) times the power rating of your normal tube amplifier. This not because you want to be five times louder LOL - it's to provide sufficient headroom so the SS amp can accurately reproduce peaks and transients without clipping. Popular options for SS power amps include Matrix and Carvin.

If you decide on the tube route, be sure to turn off the power-amp modeling in the Axe-FX by setting the SAG parameter to zero (0) in the AMP block. You probably don't want your sound going through both a simulated amp and a real amp.

In both cases, when you are using a guitar cab, you probably shouldn't also use a CAB block, as the tone may be adversely affect by going through both a CAB IR and a real cab.

There's a ton of other great advice on the Axe-FX WIKI page. If you haven't checked out the WIKI, you should probably make that your next stop.

Best wishes and welcome to the forum!

Thankyou for the reply! I'll have a look into different setups and see what suits me the best. Sorry if this is a silly question, but if I'm using a power amp and speakers, rather than a guitar cab, I can still use a CAB block within my tone, can't I?

Thanks again!

Owning the Axe FX has been a long road full of tough lessons and trials for me. But I came down to one perfect setup, after having tried every other method. I started off doing 4CM with my 6505+ when I first got it, to using the 6505+ as a power amp through my Mesa Cab. Then I sold all that, and went to QSC K12's. Sold those, then got K10's. Then I bought a custom Port City OS cab, and got a Matrix GT1000FX. Ended up selling the cab, and got an Atomic CLR. I love the CLR to death, but that is for practice and at home.

So here is what I do now, and it is perfect: Just go direct to FOH. I use Wireless IEM's so no need for a monitor, but my entire band's live rig is in one rack. My Axe FX II, other guitarist's POD Pro X, bassist's Sansamp, IEM's, interface and DI for clicks and all that fun stuff, etc. I had a rack panel made on the back that houses all of the connections easily, so I just let the sound guy plug into the rear of it. It requires no setup, just flip the on switch and go. My patches even change to the click for my live show.

After trying everything else, I find this to be the best way. Takes up way less space, sounds GREAT, and I can load in and out my whole band super fast. Touring is a breeze too. Don't even need a trailer for a lot of gear.

Owning the Axe FX has been a long road full of tough lessons and trials for me. But I came down to one perfect setup, after having tried every other method. I started off doing 4CM with my 6505+ when I first got it, to using the 6505+ as a power amp through my Mesa Cab. Then I sold all that, and went to QSC K12's. Sold those, then got K10's. Then I bought a custom Port City OS cab, and got a Matrix GT1000FX. Ended up selling the cab, and got an Atomic CLR. I love the CLR to death, but that is for practice and at home.

So here is what I do now, and it is perfect: Just go direct to FOH. I use Wireless IEM's so no need for a monitor, but my entire band's live rig is in one rack. My Axe FX II, other guitarist's POD Pro X, bassist's Sansamp, IEM's, interface and DI for clicks and all that fun stuff, etc. I had a rack panel made on the back that houses all of the connections easily, so I just let the sound guy plug into the rear of it. It requires no setup, just flip the on switch and go. My patches even change to the click for my live show.

After trying everything else, I find this to be the best way. Takes up way less space, sounds GREAT, and I can load in and out my whole band super fast. Touring is a breeze too. Don't even need a trailer for a lot of gear.

My band is all in-ears so no onstage cabs as well.
It's a great solution.

Playing thru in-ears will not be for everybody though.
Some people will need that "sound thru the air" feeling.
I kind of miss it but I monitor my Axe in stereo so that more than makes up for it for me.

Get a Gator soft/hard case, a couple of 50' XLR's, and a Behringer 812NEO...a cheap and VERY effective solution. I've had the $30000 rigs, and this by far is my best...

Back
Top Bottom