Axe FX keeps screwing with my DAW!

OSX El Capitan, Macbook Pro user here. With Logic, it will recognize the Axe and ask if I want to use it, with Pro Tools I would have to go in and select is as an interface. In both cases, this is controllable through preferences, and although I haven't needed to do it, I think I could tell OSX to ignore it as an audio interface in general. In other words, I don't have any problems with the system switching interfaces automatically.

I'm sorry to be that guy that makes broad generalizations, but it's just not uncommon for DAWs, or ASIO, or Core Audio to get confused by having multiple external audio interfaces engaged at the same time.

I tried to read the thread thoroughly, and I'm sorry if I missed something:

Is there a reason you need the AxeFx's USB engaged while the session is hot? Is it acceptable to quit axe edit, unplug the USB, then boot up your session?

Again, I could have missed something in the thread. Apologies if this is the case.

I'm confused a bit-I am on Win 8.1x64-Sonar Platinum- AxeFX XL+ (although I have owned "every" axeFX since the Ultra and used Sonar) I do not have this issue-The Axe does not show up in Sonar and it does not matter what order I start things in. I always have the AxeXF driver installed and usb cable. But I do NOT use the audio part of the USB connection. I use analog outs. Just sayin...............

Make sure AxFX does NOT appear anywhere in the Sonar preferences-there are a few places where the audio device is mentioned.

I'm sorry to be that guy that makes broad generalizations, but it's just not uncommon for DAWs, or ASIO, or Core Audio to get confused by having multiple external audio interfaces engaged at the same time.

I tried to read the thread thoroughly, and I'm sorry if I missed something:

Is there a reason you need the AxeFx's USB engaged while the session is hot? Is it acceptable to quit axe edit, unplug the USB, then boot up your session?

Again, I could have missed something in the thread. Apologies if this is the case.

You're forgiven... ;-)

I only record and don't play-out, so the XL is permanently wired into my desk (inc. USB to the PC) so alas physically unplugging each time is impractical even if I could do without Axe Edit.

I'm confused a bit-I am on Win 8.1x64-Sonar Platinum- AxeFX XL+ (although I have owned "every" axeFX since the Ultra and used Sonar) I do not have this issue-The Axe does not show up in Sonar and it does not matter what order I start things in. I always have the AxeXF driver installed and usb cable. But I do NOT use the audio part of the USB connection. I use analog outs. Just sayin...............

Make sure AxFX does NOT appear anywhere in the Sonar preferences-there are a few places where the audio device is mentioned.

I'm on Windows 7 64bit at the mo (Windows 10 pending, gulp!) but I don't think it's an OS issue.

Do you have the 'USB Audio Driver' installed, or just the 'USB Driver Package'? Both are listed in my add/remove programs list. It was suggested earlier that I try removing the 'audio' one?

My problem is that I don't get to not select my Axe Fx. When it's switched on is when it takes over.

I'm on Windows 7 64bit at the mo (Windows 10 pending, gulp!) but I don't think it's an OS issue.

Do you have the 'USB Audio Driver' installed, or just the 'USB Driver Package'? Both are listed in my add/remove programs list. It was suggested earlier that I try removing the 'audio' one?

My problem is that I don't get to not select my Axe Fx. When it's switched on is when it takes over.

I have both installed, so I don't think that's it. so is the axe fx still listed in your Sonar prefs and unchecked or is it gone? The only thing listed in my driver settings in Sonar is the interface I use, Echo Layla 3G..... Hmmmm-wish I could be of some help...
Have you tried posting in the Sonar forum?

Do you have prefs set to advanced at the bottom?

OK-when it's switched on (the axe and it takes over) do you go into prefs and unselect it and make sure your audio device of choice is showing in the places it should? 3 places in my prefs.

When I start Sonar with only my TC interface running it appears in Audio -> Devices, Driver Settings, Sync and Caching and MIDI -> Devices (as does my Virus Ti even though it's off). No mention anywhere of the Axe Fx.

If I start Sonar without the TC interface running it appears nowhere (though again my Virus Ti is listed even though it's off). Again, no mention anywhere of the Axe Fx.

If the TC interface is on and Sonar is running, then I switch-on the Axe Fx, sometimes it play nice (asks me if I want to use it as an interface, I select 'no' and it doesn't even appear in the driver listings). However, sometimes it either ignores my selection and switches to the Axe Fx anyway, or doesn't even give me a selection and switches to the Axe Fxe, or, as it's just done now, doesn't even recognise the Axe Fx being switched-on at all).

If I start Sonar with only the Axe Fx on, Sonar automatically uses the Axe Fx drivers.

If I then switch on the TC interface too, it is not recognised / nothing pops-up.

Howsoever it occurs, once the Axe Fx has stolen control, all my TC inteface drivers are greyed-out. I cannot switch to them. I have to turn-off the Axe Fx, at which point Sonar tells me there are no inputs and outputs. Even if I exit Sonar without saving any changes, switch-off the Axe Fx and restart Sonar, it does not revert to using the TC drivers and gives me the same 'missing inputs / outputs' message. I then have to manually tick all the TC's inputs and outputs and re-assign all my track ins/outs (quite a laborious process!)

Gadget,
I wish I could offer more.....The only message I ever get is this (copy\pasted below) if I turn the axe off while Sonar is running(but it still is no where in devices etc.) I say no or sometimes I say yes. Sometimes the FAS driver appears in Prefs drivers, but rarely-only if I fool around turning the axe on and off. But it never ever takes over-IOW, it is always greyed out if it appears at all. So the only annoyance for me I guess is the stupid message I pasted here.

The axe fx appears in the sonar ini . I would imagine there is a way to tell sonar to ignore the axefx but that would be a question for the Sonar forum. I have an edit in the ini or config file that tells sonar to ignore silent busses. I really would ask in the sonar forum if you can do this-because it's not a forever edit-you can change it back easily enough
Happy Thanksgiving-----
Frank

---------------------------
SONAR Platinum
Axe-Fx II

The above Audio/MIDI device was disconnected from your system. Would you like SONAR to reroute these outputs to an available device?
Clicking 'No' allows SONAR to remember output settings to this device.
Note: If playback is in progress, clicking 'Yes' will stop the transport.
Yes No

Thanks for your help, Frank. I appreciate your taking the time.

I am asking about things on the Cakewalk forum about this. I will also ask about the .ini mod.

At the moment, I am being given no choice. This message has appeared several times when I've started the Axe Fx with Sonar running "The default audio format is not compatible with one or more sound cards. It has been reset to 48000 Hz (32 bit), as suggested by the driver."

I am then forced to accept this message and am given no option to reject the switch. Sonar has thereby forced me to use drivers and a sample rate I don't wish to use.

In my view there should be a 'lock preferences' option in Sonar so that drivers and sample rates can't be changed without the user's express permission....

... and the Axe Fx should have a setting which switches-off audio over MIDI (if there's no current way to do it).

My pleasure.....That happened to me also-I cannot remember the solution-sorry. I don't remember if the answer was here or on the Sonar forum, but I am pretty sure it was sonar.....After my company leaves I was planning on playing a bit---so I'll search for it. That is the key...same exact issue-as your #31 post. A long time ago though-well seems like it anyway. We'll get it-at least we now know there is a solution because it was given to me. That's progress anyway.....

I am pretty sure this happened to me "only" when I was using my roland octa capture. It's my USB audio device for travel\laptop. I used it with my desktop for a while.

EDIT correction: sample rate and bit depth-that's the key I believe...something was off between sonar and the octa capture...so sonar grabbed the fractal when it could..hmmm-I am trying so hard because it's bugging me that I cannot remember what the hell the answer was- senior moments I guess

Last edited:
I am pretty sure this happened to me "only" when I was using my roland octa capture. It's my USB audio device for travel\laptop. I used it with my desktop for a while.

EDIT correction: sample rate and bit depth-that's the key I believe...something was off between sonar and the octa capture...so sonar grabbed the fractal when it could..hmmm-I am trying so hard because it's bugging me that I cannot remember what the hell the answer was- senior moments I guess

Yes, I think it's the sample rate that's the key. I record at 44khz and the Axe Fx is only 48khz, so as soon as the Axe Fx is switched-on Sonar defaults to its rate....

... but it surely shouldn't be able to just do that. When the pre-existing project I'm working on is 44khz, I have my default project set to 44khz and my TC interface is set to 44khz, switching on the Axe Fx should not just ignore all that and force me to use 48khz. Crazy. That seems sure to be a Sonar issue...

... but I still think there should be some preference setting to stop the Axe Fx reporting itself as a digital audio inteface, when all you want to use is the analogue outs and USB purely for program control.

Did you check the bit depth? What I meant was my roland octa capture was the issue because something was not right, so when a better. more compatible option came up-like turning on your axefx, sonar immediately grabbed it.
Do you record 32bit? I use 24 bit record. Your error message says 32bit? I use a render bit depth in Sonar of 32bit but record is set to 24bit...Check prefs\File\audio data....Record 24, render 32 import original.

I really believe the issue is with the TC electronics....not that it is bad-I mean settings and\or drivers. Everything is x64 bits for me-Sonat and my echo Layla 3G drivers...when I got the message you get, I did "not" get the 32 bit part, just the sample rate message.

That's not really how it works mate. It sounds like the DAW is polling the ASIO client, looking for additional devices. CoreAudio does a similar thing. When the Axe turns on it looks for a clock source, and depending on your settings uses its internal clock or external clock; I clock mine externally via my Focusrite Scarlett interface.

I don't get this behaviour with Cubase 8, Reaper 5.1, Studio One 3, Ableton Live 9.5, or Bitwig Studio. I'm on Windows 10.

Yes but I don't get it with Sonar Plat....it has to do with his interface...No I am no engineer, but I had a similar issue.....The issue was between my ext usb interface (roland octa capture and Sonar) Hadd nothing to do with the axe fx per say.

Which TC electronics "exactly" do you have Gadget?

You still have not mentioned if you have checked the drivers for the TC?
Curious why you get that 32 bit mentioned in your message about the axe taking over?

Something is wrong between the TC and Sonar....

I guess I am done at this point---nothing left to offer if you have done everything I mentioned and checked everything I mentioned.

Sorry...........

Last edited:
I'm same as you: I record at 24bit, render at 32bit, import original.

I agree that Sonar is choosing the 'best' option as it appears, ie: the Axe Fx's 48khz 32bit instead of the existing project's / default 44khz 24bit. But why does it get to decide - mid project - that something is 'better'?! There should at least be the option to reject it.

Which TC electronics "exactly" do you have Gadget?

You still have not mentioned if you have checked the drivers for the TC?
Curious why you get that 32 bit mentioned in your message about the axe taking over?

Something is wrong between the TC and Sonar....

I guess I am done at this point---nothing left to offer if you have done everything I mentioned and checked everything I mentioned.

Sorry...........

I have the TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48. Drivers for it are all okay, where they should be and fully present when it's switched-on.

Thanks for your help anyway :)

I think it's just going to be one of those annoying things that crops-up from time to time, which I'm just going to have to put up with...

Back
Top Bottom