Closed Axe-Fx IV wireless IEM transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agvs

It'd be great to have IEMing all solved out in the box.
So how about this, maybe have
- a mic input (that passes phantom power thru, the mic signal inctact)
- a stereo input just for backing tracks or whatever
- an IEM (block?) that can be part of the output config on any preset.
- a built-in wireless transmitter inside the AXE, that outputs whatever mix you made.
- a Fractal quality receiver , where you can hook up your preferred earbuds.

well one can dream.

Can we at least get this out of the Axe III section? Seems like a wish for a whole new product. This comes up every few months and it's gotten ridiculous.

Can we at least get this out of the Axe III section? Seems like a wish for a whole new product. This comes up every few months and it's gotten ridiculous.
There's no non-product specific wish section, so no: we can't. You can always ignore the OP and then you won't see the thread.

Ridiculous is what you make it.

Good to know we aren’t required to reply to each and every thread but one can at least strive for that lofty goal in 2019 (along with trying to drink more water)

That said, I respectively would have no need/desire for any of the listed features. I can understand that they may be valuable for other users though. I would also imagine that many who need similar features already have existing setups which provide them, and/or may have more unique needs where soemthing like a single mic input doesn’t cover it, requiring additional hardware. I also think such features would raise the price considerably, which may lessen my likelihood of buying it.

Have a nice day and pleasant weekend

While integration of other hardware can resolve some issues it can also introduce others in terms of functionality, options and price.

It's also important to consider what the high level design of the Axe FX rack unit (be it a III or a IV) is which, as far as I can tell, is the to be the best sounding amp modeler and effects unit available. Don't get me wrong, there is not harm is asking but it helps to at least know what the box is before you think about going outside of it.

Last edited:
that's what the stereo input would be for.
it doesn't HAVE TO be backing tracks. just an example. you could send a mix of the band
(☞ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)☞

While integration of other hardware can resolve some issues it can also introduce others in terms of functionality, options and price.

It's also important to consider what the high level design of the Axe FX rack unit (be it a III or a IV) is which, as far as I can tell, is the to be best the best sounding amp modeler and effects unit available. Don't get me wrong, there is not harm is asking but it helps to at least know what the box is before you think about going outside of it.

Absolutely, I understand that this while idea may not be a must for many.
Anyway I thought it was an interesting issue to address as I feel amps, fx, and routing capabilities will always be the best of the best in a Fractal product and that won't change.

I think the biggest issue is that some of us do not want to use IEMs. All of this can be done with another rack space if you want it. No need to increase the AxeFX cost and complexity for features some of us don’t want.

A whole new realm of approvals for wireless transmissions. And different in various countries. Better left to the companies that already do this IMO.

I used to work for one the world's premier wireless systems developers. Unless you are hoping for 'license-free' (2.4 or 5GHz systems), which come with a host of challenges, the development of a bespoke professional system is a 2 million USD prospect. Dealing with licensing and certification for each country/territory actually takes more time and more $$$$ than the actual product development.

Terrible idea since pros hook up ethernet networks of wireless devices regardless of being an instrument or mic. Then one monitor engineer controls ALL the wireless. If you're just on your own the Shure stuff is great. Line 6 is fine.

Hi, it’s sounds like a nice convienient addition to a great product.

My only realistic concern is the rate that wireless technology advances and I worry that come 10 years time the iem or commercial wireless headphones of the time will not be compatible with the old wireless interface in the “IV”.

In my opinion when I spend 2/3k on a guitar amp modeller, I want to to still be usable in 10+ years time to its full potential. Xlr leads and jacks will be always present in our gear and more Reliable at being always usable than “Bluetooth 4.0/5.0/6....” and so on.

Happy Axe fx 2 owner for nearly 7 years.

The primary concerns are parts obsolescence and, to a much greater degree: reduction of available frequencies due to regulation.

I feel for the OP -- there are times these features would be very useful to me, too. However, we'd be looking at significant additional cost and weight--not to mention engineering difficulty of cramming all that into the existing case. Probably not going to happen.

What WOULD be realistic, however... is another one-rack space product (probably from another company) that offers:

1) Transformer isolated mic splitter
2) Mic preamp
3) Wireless IEM transmitter

Something like this would make my life easier in many situations (to pair with the Axe III), and I'm not aware anyone is making it ?

Swiss army Fractal :rolleyes: A single professional IEM system is 1/2 the cost of a III. I think the cost of a transmitter/receiver would be at least that. I say keep em separate so I can still afford the III when I need to buy one....which may be soon!

It'd be great to have IEMing all solved out in the box.
So how about this, maybe have
- a mic input (that passes phantom power thru, the mic signal inctact)
- a stereo input just for backing tracks or whatever
- an IEM (block?) that can be part of the output config on any preset.
- a built-in wireless transmitter inside the AXE, that outputs whatever mix you made.
- a Fractal quality receiver , where you can hook up your preferred earbuds.

well one can dream.

• you are not obligated to respond to every post on this forum;

MUST... POST... REPLY... :D

So, specifically WRT the wireless part... All wireless audio solutions are either unreliable, region-locked, low-quality, or expensive (and even the cheap ones are a couple hundred). Want one that's affordable? It'll either be on an unlicensed band and subject to Wifi interference & such, only work in certain cities, or sound... not wonderful. Want one that sounds great all the time and works anywhere (or at least anywhere within one country)? Those start at probably $1.5k. Anyway, I'm guessing Fractal doesn't want to have five versions of the AxeFX IV (one for each of the downsides, plus another for people who just don't want to pay for it at all).

WRT to wanting your AxeFX to essentially contain a built-in private monitor mixer, that might be achievable today, in the AxeFX III, depending on your needs. You could use input 1 for your guitar, input 2 for an external stereo FX loop return, 3 for your mic input (this is where you'll need an external mic preamp), and 4 for a stereo send from the monitor console containing the rest of the band. WRT outputs, 1 could be the stereo external FX loop send, output 2 could be the post-FX loop stereo outputs, output 3 could be an alternate output for like if you use a Leslie or want to send a different signal to the monitor console than to FOH, which leaves output 4 to be the stereo feed to your IEMs.

There are several affordable stand-alone preamps on the market and some of them even have both TRS and XLR outputs which would allow you to send the signal both into your AxeFX and to the PA. If you need a splitter, you could get something like a Radial ProMS2 or Whirlwind SP1X2 or SP1X3, send the direct output (which passes through phantom power) to the PA, and the isolated output to your preamp (and then into your AxeFX). Those splitters I mentioned all cost around $100-$120, and preamps start at probably $50 (and can go up pretty much as high as you want).

Personally, I could go either way on having a preamp & iso split built into the AxeFX. In addition to the use case Agvs is interested in, a built-in preamp could also be used to get a mic'd acoustic guitar into your AxeFX (for reverb and such... or fuzz, I guess, if that's your thing). OTOH, either scenario is probably niche enough that most people wouldn't want to pay much for the extra hardware that's required, and I have no clue what Fractal's cost would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom