Axe FX in your pocket??

Jeff B

Inspired
Hey all! Just was reading some things on this new BIAS app by Positive Grid. Not sure if you've all heard about it, but if you're interested in a short read, here's a link to a review:

Tone Report

Also, here's their FB page link with some vids and such:

https://www.facebook.com/positivegrid

I'm pretty impressed with what I'm hearing so far. And for $7.99... wow! Can't beat that! Could this be the next major competitor to the AxeFX??

Anyways... I just was posting to get a friendly conversation going as to your thoughts on if you ever think we'll have an AxeFX on an ipad/iphone app and if you think it's a good thing and so on. I think that we're in an amazing time of digital technology that is not only offering amazing results, but in such compact formats, that we're now able to take our "rigs" in our pocket, literally. Eventually, nobody will ever have amps at this rate! Haha!!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

Anyways... I just was posting to get a friendly conversation going as to your thoughts on if you ever think we'll have an AxeFX on an ipad/iphone app and if you think it's a good thing and so on. I think that we're in an amazing time of digital technology that is not only offering amazing results, but in such compact formats, that we're now able to take our "rigs" in our pocket, literally. Eventually, nobody will ever have amps at this rate! Haha!!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

I ran across an interview with David J. Wineland who was one of two Nobel Prize winners in Physics for 2012. In the interview he talked about computing power in the near future. Wish I could find the interview.

Here's an excerpt from the link above.

"Their ground-breaking methods have enabled this field of research to take the very first steps towards building a new type of super fast computer based on quantum physics. Perhaps the quantum computer will change our everyday lives in this century in the same radical way as the classical computer did in the last century."

Imagine what can be done with stronger processing? Generally speaking processing power and it's costs is what governs features. If I remember correctly he predicted that within the next decade we'll see more progress in computing power than we've seen to date.

10 years from now, what we consider cutting edge amp sims may very well be a small app on mobile devices. I can't imagine what pro level gear would be like then. These conversations always remind me of my first 100 meg hard drive. I remember saying "Wow! I'll never fill this up!". Now we carry 100's of times more storage space on our phones.

Bias is totally amazing for what it is and it's costs.

I did extensive testing against my axe fx and although bias is really wonderful it still doesn't have the depth of tone /3d qualities the axe has.

However when plugged into a tube power amp the way I use my axe I can say I would be happy to use it anywhere, in fact considering a European tour on bass guitar right now with only bias.

It does destroy everything line 6 ever did for the price of a Starbucks.

if anybody has any feedback on this app would appreciate it, loocing for a travel rig that small and compact to replace my pod xt

G \../

"Their ground-breaking methods have enabled this field of research to take the very first steps towards building a new type of super fast computer based on quantum physics. Perhaps the quantum computer will change our everyday lives in this century in the same radical way as the classical computer did in the last century."

Imagine what can be done with stronger processing? Generally speaking processing power and it's costs is what governs features. If I remember correctly he predicted that within the next decade we'll see more progress in computing power than we've seen to date.

10 years from now, what we consider cutting edge amp sims may very well be a small app on mobile devices. I can't imagine what pro level gear would be like then. These conversations always remind me of my first 100 meg hard drive. I remember saying "Wow! I'll never fill this up!". Now we carry 100's of times more storage space on our phones.

Yeah, I'm really excited with where technology is taking us. I'm generally "old school" in my thinking and in much of what I like, but being that the new digital products are helping us take more of what we love wherever we choose to go, that's a big plus IMO.

Thanks for the link!

Bias is totally amazing for what it is and it's costs.

I did extensive testing against my axe fx and although bias is really wonderful it still doesn't have the depth of tone /3d qualities the axe has.

However when plugged into a tube power amp the way I use my axe I can say I would be happy to use it anywhere, in fact considering a European tour on bass guitar right now with only bias.

It does destroy everything line 6 ever did for the price of a Starbucks.

I agree... and suspected that there would be major differences in real-world listening to the AFX. I am still looking to try this out and play around with the tones a bit. Sometimes when I travel home to visit family around the holidays, I'm asked to jam with my old band and the last time, I had to use other people's gear and it just wasn't a good experience for me. With the AFX, atleast I could fly home with my guitar and a 2sp rack and have everything I would need to get by for a gig, but with something like BIAS, I can see just taking my guitar and my iPad and done. MUCH more portable and, from what I can hear in the vids, quite sufficient to produce some great tones (tweaked to your exact likings) that would fit well in a live mix. Definitely worth the "price of a Starbucks" for that luxury. :)

Well I have to say it is pretty impressive and it's only going to get better. Fractal fan boys beware. You may one day eat your words. Who knows.

Stupid question, but has anyone ever used this an fx unit for acoustic guitar?

Sure! There are others as well. If I were near my AXE now I'd post my Acoustic patch - basically compression, EQ, optional chorus/delay/reverb, etc. Sounds great!

Bias,I bought it ,great idea but has a loooong way to come :eek: I'd rather use pod farm.

Isn't that how cliff started off? Writing sound plugins? I remember reading that somewhere in his interview.

In the end, anyone venturing into the music plugin biz will end up creating a hardware device as soon as the algorithms mature enough. Piracy is a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom