Axe-Fx III, world class USB audio interface?

thanks all, looks like i misinterpreted the functionality here. i should've jumped on this site long ago.

i can live with the output 1 controlling the guitar and the computer together through USB.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to have a seperate USB interface dedicated to just the SM58 plugged into my pc at the same time as the Axe FX? and hear both outputs?

if not, would i want to get a different interface that would support this? any reccomednations appreciated
Here is what I use (though mine is an older gen)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

YOu run the SM58 into one of the inputs, with a mic preamp the axe OUT1 to paired input for stereo. Control/mix the levels from the Scarlett, going to the PC, via USB.

YOu could always opt for the smaller Scarlett 18i8

There is also software to route the 18 inputs to the 20 outputs, output mixes to headphone jack for real time latency monitoring etc. Once happy in software, you load it on the Scarlett (Well for the 18i20, not sure on the smaller). Well depending on sample rate used. THe higher you go, the fewer input and output options you have (8 n + 2 S/PDIF to 10 out in highest rates 0ver 176 khz)

THis should handle everything you are wanting, both recording and live.

Last edited:
First general note: don't record your voice and guitar at the same time, you're just adding unnecessary complication. Record one, get the takes perfect, then do the same with the other on another track in your DAW.

3) i want my computer's audio playback to be controlled by OUT2 volume knob, which it's not. It's connected to OUT1 volume knob, so i cannot independently toggle the volumes of the INSTR jack guitar audio and my computer's audio output. They are both mapped to OUT1, so adjusting OUT1 adjusts both the guitar and the computer's audio simultaneously.

The OUT2 knob is the volume control for output 2, it has nothing to do with the USB audio volume being sent to output 1. Your best bet is to use the output 1 knob to set your guitar's volume at an appropriate level, and then use your computer's built-in volume control to mix in the USB audio from your computer. On PC this can be done once you install the AX3 driver, on Mac you'll need a 3rd party app to control USB volume with the mac volume up/down buttons; I use an app called soundsource. Has a lot of other controls which are quite useful too.

4) i want to plug in a Shure SM58 stage mic (XLR connection feeding into the SM58, 1/4" audio cable feeding into the axe fx iii) and have it controlled by OUT3 volume knob, independent of both the guitar audio and the computer audio. which it's not. I can see input levels from this 58 coming into the axe fx iii but i hear nothing through my monitors.

Same as above goes for the OUT3 knob. The AX3's XLR and other inputs are line level, for processing balanced line level signals like synths (or the output of a mic pre). They do not have mic preamps. You will need a separate mic preamp in order to get the mic level signal from the 58 up to line level which you can then plug into input 2, 3, or 4. A good budget preamp that you can rack up with the AX3 is dbx 286s. It has some analog processing built in which is useful for live since for example you may need to tweak the gate on the fly depending on the environment. They are under $200 used.

When you say "live," is this at a venue where you're plugging each line into a stage box, or is this a busking setup where you want everything coming from the same output? For the former, use out1 for the USB audio, out2 for your guitar, and out3 for the mic. 2 and 3 can be swapped, but usb audio channels 1+2 are "hard wired" to output 1 as far as I know (you could set your DAW's outputs to USB 7+8 and then use the Input USB block on the grid but there's no reason for this). Connect each of the outputs to FOH. For busking, just use separate inputs and paths for the guitar and mic, and join them both at the end so they both go to output 1. Use the row level parameters in the output block to control their relative levels.

Last edited:
on Mac you'll need a 3rd party app to control USB volume; I use an app called soundsource. Has a lot of other controls which are quite useful too.
just clarifying that there is a control on the Axe for the USB volume. the app might provide additional functionality, but isn't completely required to use the Axe and control the USB volume.
there is a USB Return volume adjustment, but it's in the Setup menu. i think you drag that control to the Perform Page with Axe-Edit, but i could be mistaken. then you could just show the Perform Page on the front panel and adjust the volume with a knob there for the USB audio only.

I run my AF3 into a gen2 Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 for this reason. It comes with a software mixer program and you can independently adjust levels of any input sources. You can also run 4 different mixes to the Headphone 1, Headphone 2, Monitor and SPDIF outputs. Windows audio itself gets routed to Software DAW 1-2 Playback and this level can also be adjusted from the Focusrite Control mixer software, as well, and the level can be different for each Output mix. Very slick! I have never owned an Audio Interface that didn't have a software mixer application bundled with it. Even my old Creative Audio SoundBlaster Audigy 4 had this software, and that was 20 years ago. This is sorely lacking in the Fractal units.

If it is just the relative volumes of signals from the Axe-FX and Windows Audio that you are concerned about while using the Axe-FX as an interface, you can use the built-in Windows volume mixer to control the Windows Audio volume for each application after setting the base volume to an appropriate level, based on how loud you want the signal from the Axe to be. It's not ideal but it should work.

Last edited:
I run my AF3 into a gen2 Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 for this reason. It comes with a software mixer program and you can independently adjust levels of any input sources. You can also run 4 different mixes to the Headphone 1, Headphone 2, Monitor and SPDIF outputs. Windows audio itself gets routed to Software DAW 1-2 Playback and this level can also be adjusted from the Focusrite Control mixer software, as well, and the level can be different for each Output mix. Very slick! I have never owned an Audio Interface that didn't have a software mixer application bundled with it. Even my old Creative Audio SoundBlaster Audigy 4 had this software, and that was 20 years ago. This is sorely lacking in the Fractal units.

If it is just the relative volumes of signals from the Axe-FX and Windows Audio that you are concerned about while using the Axe-FX as an interface, you can use the built-in Windows volume mixer to control the Windows Audio volume for each application after setting the base volume to an appropriate level, based on how loud you want the signal from the Axe to be. It's not ideal but it should work.

THIS!

I use my Axe Fx III as my main studio interface and it works great.

I run my guitar and bass into input 1 on the front and a Warm Audio TB21 preamp for my mics into output 2 on the rear.

What you are trying to achieve, setting the volume for guitar, mic and computer playback with output knobs 1-3, does not make any sense, except if you would like to run all three sources through three different playback systems, e.g. three different sets of studio monitors, since these three knobs are hardwired to the physical outputs.

Assuming that you have one set of speakers, like most people do, you would do the following:
Your speakers are plugged into output 1, so the output 1 knob controls the overall volume for everything.
When you assemble your patch in Axe Edit, you run one processing line for the guitar beginning with input 1, which goes then through amp, cab, reverb etc. whatever you want, and before it goes into output block 1, you just insert a volume block.
You run a second, parallel processing line for the mic, and if you don't have a mic preamp but run your SM58 straight into the rear input 2, then you run it from input block 2, first through a volume block that you crank really high to add all the gain that a mic pre would usually add, and then you run it through whatever blocks you want to use on vocals (e.g. comp, EQ, reverb). At the end, you run it into another volume block (so that s three of the four available volume blocks used) before you also run it into output block 1, where the guitar signal chain goes.
So the two processing chains start with different input blocks (1 and 2), go through their processing, before they end with a volume block for each of them and then both go into output block 1.

Now you have three signals on output 1:
  • Your computer audio is routed there anyway
  • The guitar signal
  • The mic signal

Now here is the trick how to do it with volume:
You play back your computer audio and set the volume with the output 1 knob to a level that you like.
Now you play your guitar, and you adjust the level of that signal in the volume block right before the output 1 block, so that it is in the relation to your computer playback audio that you want it to be.
Then you do the same with the mic signal.
So: Computer playback and overall volume set with the physical output 1 knob on the front panel, the guitar and mic volume set in the right relation to that by using the volume blocks at the end of their processing lines.

Last edited:
You play back your computer audio and set the volume with the output 1 knob to a level that you like.
Now you play your guitar, and you adjust the level of that signal in the volume block right before the output 1 block, so that it is in the relation to your computer playback audio that you want it to be.
So: Computer playback and overall volume set with the physical output 1 knob on the front panel, the guitar and mic volume set in the right relation to that by using the volume blocks at the end of their processing lines.

It might require always using Axe
This method may not work for all situations.

If you adjust your guitar/preset volume relative to USB, your preset might clip or be quieter than necessary. It’s best to level your preset using the VU meter in Layout>Zoom out. Then adjust Out 1 for your guitar. This makes your preset the best volume to prevent clipping.

Then use the USB return volume in the Setup menu to adjust the USB volume as needed.

If it works for you that’s good, but adjusting the preset volume without reference to the internal meters may not be the best idea in the long run.

This method may not work for all situations.

If you adjust your guitar/preset volume relative to USB, your preset might clip or be quieter than necessary. It’s best to level your preset using the VU meter in Layout>Zoom out. Then adjust Out 1 for your guitar. This makes your preset the best volume to prevent clipping.

Then use the USB return volume in the Setup menu to adjust the USB volume as needed.

If it works for you that’s good, but adjusting the preset volume without reference to the internal meters may not be the best idea in the long run.

Great way to do it, better than mine! For me, my method worked since I basically only record from the Axe into Cubase, and since I leave plenty of headroom in my Cubase projects, I never had to turn up the volume of my Axe presets so high that it clipped. But yeah, what you describes has also covered that case, so - thanks for sharing that!

I use my Axe Fx III as my main studio interface and it works great.

I run my guitar and bass into input 1 on the front and a Warm Audio TB21 preamp for my mics into output 2 on the rear.

What you are trying to achieve, setting the volume for guitar, mic and computer playback with output knobs 1-3, does not make any sense, except if you would like to run all three sources through three different playback systems, e.g. three different sets of studio monitors, since these three knobs are hardwired to the physical outputs.

Assuming that you have one set of speakers, like most people do, you would do the following:
Your speakers are plugged into output 1, so the output 1 knob controls the overall volume for everything.
When you assemble your patch in Axe Edit, you run one processing line for the guitar beginning with input 1, which goes then through amp, cab, reverb etc. whatever you want, and before it goes into output block 1, you just insert a volume block.
You run a second, parallel processing line for the mic, and if you don't have a mic preamp but run your SM58 straight into the rear input 2, then you run it from input block 2, first through a volume block that you crank really high to add all the gain that a mic pre would usually add, and then you run it through whatever blocks you want to use on vocals (e.g. comp, EQ, reverb). At the end, you run it into another volume block (so that s three of the four available volume blocks used) before you also run it into output block 1, where the guitar signal chain goes.
So the two processing chains start with different input blocks (1 and 2), go through their processing, before they end with a volume block for each of them and then both go into output block 1.

Now you have three signals on output 1:
  • Your computer audio is routed there anyway
  • The guitar signal
  • The mic signal

Very helpful, thanks. I just had a question about this portion:

I understand that this is how you "mix" between your direct monitored wet guitar signal and the USB audio, but let's say you turn down the volume block a bit so you can hear more of the USB audio, won't this affect the level going being recorded on USB 1/2? So during a session you'd have to pick a level for the volume block and then you'd be unable to change it until you're done recording. I need to be able to adjust the direct monitoring and USB audio mix on the fly. I came up with this:

Untitled.png

So with this setup I would just set the track in my DAW to record USB 3/4 (output 2 block), but I could use the volume block (or output 1's level parameter) to independently control the direct monitoring level relative to the USB audio. I'd just have to make sure Output 2's "Copy Output 1" setting is "Off." Any thoughts?

I am using Cakewalk, and you are able to mix / level IO's while recording /playback. For example, I record a track and then playback - and add live guitar during playback. I am able to set my recorded playback level to whatever I want....all through Output 1...so all mixing is done externally.

I have no lag whatsoever either.

I understand that this is how you "mix" between your direct monitored wet guitar signal and the USB audio, but let's say you turn down the volume block a bit so you can hear more of the USB audio, won't this affect the level going being recorded on USB 1/2? So during a session you'd have to pick a level for the volume block and then you'd be unable to change it until you're done recording. I need to be able to adjust the direct monitoring and USB audio mix on the fly. I came up with this:
First, there's NO need for a Volume block - the Output blocks all have a Level control.

Second, use the USB Return Level controls in the global menu to balance your wet level with your DAW levels.

First, there's NO need for a Volume block - the Output blocks all have a Level control.

Second, use the USB Return Level controls in the global menu to balance your wet level with your DAW levels.
much easier, especially using the editor, thanks!

Very helpful, thanks. I just had a question about this portion:

View attachment 76723

So with this setup I would just set the track in my DAW to record USB 3/4 (output 2 block), but I could use the volume block (or output 1's level parameter) to independently control the direct monitoring level relative to the USB audio. I'd just have to make sure Output 2's "Copy Output 1" setting is "Off." Any thoughts?

What he said. :)

My method as I described it works for me most of the time, but what chris and unix-guy described regarding using the USB playback volume control is much better. I will probably adjust my workflow accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom