Axe Fx III with SS PA + Cab

indeloon85

Inspired
So I recently came into possession of a solid state power amp. I don’t believe it’s an ideal one (Crown Microstage 600) compared to what’s out there but my only experiences with the axe Fx was powering my Ultra and II thru my EVH 5153 head into the matching cab. Outside of that, it’s just mainly been studio use.
After getting a little time with the SS amp into one of my cabs, I just wanted to say how blown away I was with this. I’ve turned off the Speaker sim + changed the FRFR thing in the speaker tab to SS + Cab. I think that’s all I need to do? Either way, this just opened a whole new side of hearing this outside of my studio speakers and just continually fall in love with it. Axe Fxs seriously have been the best investments I’ve made.
Thank you Fractal for always pushing the envelope and bringing a smile to my face each time I plug into this thing!

Only other thing would be to spend some time getting to understand the speaker tab of the amp block. Leon Todd does a great video about finding your cabs resonant frequency. But yeah I had the same experience - a power amp and a cab sounds great from the get-go, whereas powered monitors require a full 5 minutes more of tweaking and don't sound as good in the room.

Thanks for the tips! Just curious, any reason the speaker parameters don’t just default to 0 when selecting SS AMP + Cab?

Oh maybe it does? Based on the first reply above and I thought the speaker drive parameter was still doing something when I was turning it, I figured these were still active even with SS AMP + CAB selected. I’ll have to try it again later

Following up on this. Ya it seems like the speaker controls (Speaker Drive, Speaker Thump, etc.) are still active in the Amp Block even with SS Pwr Amp + Cab selected.
That being said, I'm setting up my Axe Fx at the moment to have Output 4 to go to the SS Amp + Cab, and Output 1 to go to my interface. Long story short, I'm wondering if it's possible to separate the Speaker parameters per output for this type of setup? Thinking it'd be great to track my axe fx thru the simulated cab in output 1 but monitor my guitar thru my actual cab out of output 4.

Back
Top Bottom