Axe Fx iii with power amp and real cabinet

I've thought about that sort of rig. I find my Fryette PS-100 is a little bit noisy and I have heard complaints about the LXII being noisy. While this is not going to be an issue for live use, how do you (or other LXII owners) find that setup at lower volume?

I think this sort of setup can be pretty powerful because you can run it in stereo or wet/dry without hauling a ton of gear.

To me the easiest way to get a modeler to sound on par with a tube amp is to run it through a "neutral" tube poweramp like the Fryette into a real guitar cab. Using studio monitors, PA type FRFR setups etc is always about dialing those cab sims to perfection and the end result is still closer to what the audience would hear through a PA.

There's also no substitute for real actual volume. If you are going to compare to a tube amp, get a decibel meter and make sure you are actually playing at the same volume. When modelers amp sim behavior is indepenent of their volume, we often run them quieter and then perceive that sound as "not as good" as a tube amp that needs to be louder.
The LXii has a loud fan. For a bedroom it could be annoying at low volume but at a rehearsal you’d not notice it.

I echo what others say in that you will notice the feel and thump associated with a good old valve head. The models translate very well.

I think the axe through my LXII is spot on with my vintage tube amps. I send a signal to front of house with IRs and just pull an output before that to the power amp and cab. This to me is the best sounding rig I have ever owned.

This post is a few months old but I wanted to put something out there for anyone considering using a modeler such as one of the Fractal units along with a solid state power amp and a real cab.

I recently started using my Axe FX III through a SD Powerstage 200 solid state amp into a Mesa 4x12 OS cab and absolutely love it. The Powerstage 200 has plenty of power and adds a Presence control which the 170 doesn’t have in addition to a built-in cab sim and more.

For a few years I’ve played a modeler such as Helix and now AFX III in 4 cable method into various tube amps (Mesa JP-2C & Triple Crown, EVH Stealth and most recently a Revv Generator 120 Mk III) through my 4x12 cab and I’m happy to say that right now, I don’t miss a single one of them. I’ve currently settled on the Engl Powerball (or is it a Fireball) amp model and occasionally a Soldano SLO 100. Both my ears and my hands feel as if I’m playing through a real tube amp and overall I feel the tone and control I get are even better in some ways now so “kudos” to Fractal Audio for creating convincing models of both preamps and power amps.

I do also own a Synergy rig and have the SYN-5050 power amp which is 6L6 tube driven but I’ve yet to try it with my Axe Fx. I probably should give it a shot someday soon but I’m seriously happy with the Powerstage 200. I love the small form factor of the PS 200 but it packs serious punch and drives my 4x12 with no problems for something so small. It runs cool and sounds great and when I’m done playing, I simply put it in my gig bag and off I go.

The other guitarist in my band had been playing through a Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 combo in 4 cable method with an AX8 for effects and he loved how well my rig sounded so much that he got himself a PS 200 and a Mesa 2x12 extension cab so he could ditch having to lug around his beast of a combo. He dialed in a Mesa Rectifier tone that he loves and feels that it sounds like his real amp. We’ve been playing together with our new rigs for a couple of weeks at rehearsal and the band hasn’t sounded better than it does right now. We have been smiling during practice because everything sounds great. We both loved our tube amps but wanted the convenience of downsizing and figured we would probably have to give up some of that awesome tube tone and feel that we were used by switching to amp modeling and solid state power amps but nothing could be further from the truth.

I highly recommend giving this type of setup a shot. I was resistant for quite some time but I do also like new toys and so I’m glad I decided to go this route. I won’t list all my amps for sale just yet because I love just having them but I’m more than satisfied gigging with this modeling setup.

I have been using real cab with Axe FX since the Ultra came out and then a II and now a III. Compare the Brit 800 to my JCM 800 head it sounds 98% exactly the same. I have a Matrix amp that is quite old now i use and a guest setup with an Art SLA 2 both going into cabs with Axe FX both amps are fine with cabs. Speakers I use are Celestion Vintage 30s. I have a stack of two 412s. But lately I have been running into 1x12 el Cheapo Harley Benton cabs for portability they have Celestion V30s in them and they are a very good deal.

Just asking because it affects power efficiency of the 170, ie. most efficient at 4 ohms, less at 8, etc.

But also because maybe it’s not something to be concerned about.

Ahhh, I wasn’t aware. I honestly can’t remember which power amp is hooked up to which cab anymore! I can’t even cranked them past TV volume in my apartment, so I’ll have to find out next time I get the chance to open ‘em up!

Ahhh, I wasn’t aware. I honestly can’t remember which power amp is hooked up to which cab anymore! I can’t even cranked them past TV volume in my apartment, so I’ll have to find out next time I get the chance to open ‘em up!

Thanks!

Also, just to add, all my cabs are 8 ohm Mesas, hence the wondering.

I have been using real cab with Axe FX since the Ultra came out and then a II and now a III. Compare the Brit 800 to my JCM 800 head it sounds 98% exactly the same. I have a Matrix amp that is quite old now i use and a guest setup with an Art SLA 2 both going into cabs with Axe FX both amps are fine with cabs. Speakers I use are Celestion Vintage 30s. I have a stack of two 412s. But lately I have been running into 1x12 el Cheapo Harley Benton cabs for portability they have Celestion V30s in them and they are a very good deal.

How does the Art SLA 2 compare to the Matrix?

Thanks.

How does the Art SLA 2 compare to the Matrix?

Thanks.
Honestly almost the same I think the Matrix is supposed to be flatter in response but to my ears the art is just as good. Put it this way if my Matrix were to die I would replace it with another Art SLA 2. One thing to keep in mind with the ART is that it has binding post for speaker outs what I did is put a rack filler plate drilled it for 1/4 jacks and wired to the posts.

Back
Top Bottom