AXE FX III - White stuff on the screen

sidsin

Inspired
Hey everyone,

I was just cleaning the screen of my FX III today and noticed some white fog like thing on the screen. Anyone else experienced this?

1645136198465.png

Are you running a humidifier in the room? I had the same problem and it ended up being mineral residue from the humidifier. There was an older thread about the same issue: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/condensation-under-lcd-screen.162083/#post-1945438

If it's from a humidifier, the only way to fix it is to have support remove the screen and clean it. I had them do that and then bought an evaporative type humidifier, which has a filter to prevent mineral dust from getting everywhere. I haven't had any issues since.

Are you running a humidifier in the room? I had the same problem and it ended up being mineral residue from the humidifier. There was an older thread about the same issue: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/condensation-under-lcd-screen.162083/#post-1945438

If it's from a humidifier, the only way to fix it is to have support remove the screen and clean it. I had them do that and then bought an evaporative type humidifier, which has a filter to prevent mineral dust from getting everywhere. I haven't had any issues since.
I don't think it's the mineral deposits we'd get from a humidifier, it's something different. I could see it well before I got a humidifier in the room and don't see it on my FM3 or FM9 displays which are in the room too, and are supposed to be the same panel.

I don't think it's the mineral deposits we'd get from a humidifier, it's something different. I could see it well before I got a humidifier in the room and don't see it on my FM3 or FM9 displays which are in the room too, and are supposed to be the same panel.
I talked to the OP in the older thread I linked. Both of our issues were definitely from a humidifier. I was using a cool mist type and noticed it within a few days. I brought my unit to FAS in person and they took the screen apart and cleaned it for me. There is a slight gap between the outer plastic and the actual LDC display and it must not be sealed up well enough on the Axe-FX III. The residue can get on the back side of the outer plastic, which you can't access without taking it apart. It's possible that there is more than one issue going on, but I figured I'd mention it, since it's happened to more than one person.

I've been using this type of humidifier without any problems: https://www.honeywellstore.com/stor...to-care-top-fill-humidifier-white-hcm-710.htm

It has a filter which removes the mineral dust, or at least enough of it not to cause problems. I go through probably 2 filters per winter. I was going to buy another one for a different room, but it doesn't seem to be readily available at the moment. The other option would be treating the water or using distilled water. I would think having to constantly buy distilled water would be annoying though.

I have this issue as well. Very strange. Can't see it when the screen is lit but looks terrible off. Wondering if I could take the top off & swipe the glass from the inside. Doesn't look like much room to get to it from the inside. I have no humidifier & my older Ax2 didn't have this issue. I'm anal to so that doesn't help. :confused:

Attachments

• noname(1).jpg
    noname(1).jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 63
Is the Screen made all plastic? Or is there a glass Layer?

It could be delaminating that results in stains maybe due to heat or manufacturing defect.

I ordered my B-stock AXE-FX III Mark II from G66 03/21. It already had this "problem" when it arrived. They offered to send another B-stock unit to me. I opened my unit, removed the display module away and cleaned the front glass from the inside. If you have proper tool you can remove the display unit away from the front glass. It was a bit complicated as I didn't had small enough tool for one of the four nuts, but I managed to loosen (and tighten) the nut. I didn't want to disassemble "the whole unit", but then it would have been much easier to reach the nut with my tools. All nuts are the same size, but there is not much space around. If I remember correctly, it was the one on the bottom right when you look the unit from the frontside. Three year warranty is still valid, I confirmed it from G66 beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom