Axe-Fx III w Morningstar MC6 MKII - Looper issue

is9582

Power User
I can’t seem to get the MC6 MKII to trigger/call the Looper. I’m a noob with MIDI but Ive programmed other switches to call presets directly as well as incrementally (+ and -) as well as scenes directly and incrementally. I’m still sure it’s aomething simple I’m missing, but it sure is frustrating.

I’ve also seen videos (sure don’t think I dreamed it ) of the MC6 w v2,5 calling the tuner and displaying the tuner on the foot controller’s screen. I can call the tuner, but only see it on the AxeFX’s screen.

As info, I’m running v3.1.0 on the MC6 MKII and 1.09 on the AxeFX.

I’d appreciate any guidance to help resolve my issues!

Lee

**I posted this under the AxeFX III since I’m not sure if it’s just poor MIDI programming on my part (probably) or if some aspect of the III isn’t happy.

Hi Chris,

I set my Looper1 in settings so Bypass = CC33. And just as info, I the CC#s I assigned for the Record, Play... all trigger their respective portion, if I manually start up the Looper. I also confirmed all of the following messages were set with Channel=1

I’ve tried the Looper initial call two ways. Msg1 I had switch 4E send Type=Looper Mode on switch press, with Msg2 sending Type=Control Change, CC Number=33, CC value=0 on switch press.

In a second attempt, I had switch 3E send Type=Control Change, CC Number=33, CC value=0 on switch press, when that didn’t work, I tried the same with value=127. No joy!

Thanks again for the assistance.

Lee

I can at least confirm that this does not appear to be a bug in the Axe-Fx III. I just tested it by setting Looper Bypass to "33" and sending CC#33 with values of 0 and 127 to bypass or engage the Looper respectively.

I tested this using both the MIDI IN port and MIDI-over-USB.

Is your switch set to LATCHING? Have you tried MIDI LEARN?

Hi Matt

Thanks for the confirmation. Always good to rule out.

I’m not even sure on the latching. I’m sure I can find that with some digging (not automatic for me yet in the III). Unfortunately I wasn’t aware of a Midi Learn function on the III or the MC6 MKII! (As Matt takes the old guys hand and has to lead him down the path )

Hi Chris,

I set my Looper1 in settings so Bypass = CC33. And just as info, I the CC#s I assigned for the Record, Play... all trigger their respective portion, if I manually start up the Looper. I also confirmed all of the following messages were set with Channel=1

I’ve tried the Looper initial call two ways. Msg1 I had switch 4E send Type=Looper Mode on switch press, with Msg2 sending Type=Control Change, CC Number=33, CC value=0 on switch press.

In a second attempt, I had switch 3E send Type=Control Change, CC Number=33, CC value=0 on switch press, when that didn’t work, I tried the same with value=127. No joy!

Thanks again for the assistance.

Lee
you're using terms i don't understand. you didn't really answer any of my questions either.

what exactly are you trying to do? control the looper Record, Play etc? or just Bypass and Engage the Looper Block?

what is "Looper initial call"? what is "send Type=Looper Mode"?

why are you trying to Bypass the Looper block anyway? if you aren't playing anything it doesn't do anything.

here's an example of my Record button in the MC6. just a CC message on the CC# assigned to Record in the Axe, then a value.

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 10.09.14 AM.png

pretty simple.

to do this, you need to use the new TOGGLE CC Midi mode, which i highly recommend for all 3rd party controllers. it's in the Axe3 setup menu. this will allow any value to trigger the function sending the same value over and over (which is good), rather than needing to set your MC6 to send alternating values of 0 and 127. i explain it here:

if you don't want to use that new TOGGLE mode in the Axe, then you have to use a CC Toggle message on the MC6 like this:

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 10.14.07 AM.png

please answer the questions above and we can help you more.

I’m using the web editor on Morningstar’s site and the headers (like Type) displayed over the contents. The screen caps you posted look slightly different than what I’m using, for whatever reason. Just as info, I wrote computer programs while working for the government, which is likely where my verbiage originates. Sorry, I was trying to be as clear as possible so we’d be on the same page.

From the same programming thinking, I expected I’d need to engage the Looper, prior to using its functions. That’s why I was dealing with the bypass CC. I’ll adjust my settings to follow what you’re doing, and hopefully it’ll work.

Cheers

Lee

I’m using the web editor on Morningstar’s site and the headers (like Type) displayed over the contents. The screen caps you posted look slightly different than what I’m using, for whatever reason. Just as info, I wrote computer programs while working for the government, which is likely where my verbiage originates. Sorry, I was trying to be as clear as possible so we’d be on the same page.

From the same programming thinking, I expected I’d need to engage the Looper, prior to using its functions. That’s why I was dealing with the bypass CC. I’ll adjust my settings to follow what you’re doing, and hopefully it’ll work.

Cheers

Lee
You can probably just leave the Looper block Engaged (on) and save the preset that way. No need to bypass it when you’d just stop the loop.

The verbiage wasn’t “non-understandable” but seemed more out of context. Like where does “send type=looper mode” come from? What is send type? Where does that appear?

Chris,

Its from the Morningstar Midi Editor. As I'd mentioned in a previous post, I was a bit surprised the screen caps you posted didn't look like what I was seeing in the editor. Here is a capture from my system:

Morningstar headers sml.jpg

"Looper Mode" on the MC6 II drops the sensitivity of the buttons, so that the stomps are more responsive. Doesn't actually send any MIDI anywhere

@JustinAiken True. I’d seen a vid that mentioned it was beneficial during usage, so had it set to engage Looper Mode activate and also send CC33 on the switch press.

Quick update.I tried just using the switches for Record and Play, rather than getting stuck in my mindset of needing to initiate the Looper first. Unfortunately it didn’t work.

I did get it so now the Looper block in my Preset will bypass and un-bypass with sending CC#33 via the pressing of the switch. Even with the Looper block engaged, the other switches don’t seem to do anything. I’ve verified the CC#s so I must just not understand how to make the Looper do its thing. ‍♂️

I’m clueless on this, huh. Anyone?? Haha

Lee

@MorningstarFX James,

The results are the same as what I'd set them, so hopefully will provide some insight for those more MIDI knowledgable than myself! ;) Bottom is my switch to turn on Looper. Middle is my Record switch and the upper is my Play switch. CC#s all seem to jive with what I have in the AxeFXIII. Look forward to any input. Thx.

MC6 MKII Looper output.jpeg

Ok, guess I’m going nuts. I’ve gone over everything multiple times, and damn, now its working! Friggin crazy!! Really appreciate everyone that gave me input/suggestions.

Anyone got anything on making the tuner display on the MC6 MKII?? (and yes, I just tried that again just in case!)

Ok, guess I’m going nuts. I’ve gone over everything multiple times, and damn, now its working! Friggin crazy!!

This is how midi works for me 80% of the time, lol!

I had the tuner working on my AF2 but, now that I got the the 3, it seems I’m having some issues. I’m not at the unit now but, will check it out more thoroughly tomorrow and report back here with my findings. I’m not even sure we can get the tuner (edit: mc6) to display the AF3’s tuner. If I remember, Morningstar only claimed to display the II’s. Oh, I’m using the mc6 mkI.

@Pettymusic Haha, glad it’s not JUST me!

I’m hopeful we’ll get the tuner displaying before long. I appreciate you chiming in and look forward to hearing what you find. I’ll continue posting on this subject, including any resolution.

In my opinion, we are still early in the AxeFXIII lifespan and growth cycle. Some of the perifory functionality is yet to be attained, but I’m not saying that my specific tuner display issue is related. Likely just me!

Ah, that reminds me. The device ID might have changed on the III. We'll take a look and update accordingly once I get more info..

@is9582 did you get the tuner function to engage/display on the AxeFX though?

@MorningstarFX I tried the one cable between the 5-pin in/out on my MC6 MKII. I didn’t disable the midi thru (but didn’t check it either). I was on Bank 3 where I have a switch setup to send a PC, and when I pressed the switch, the display was much less bright and Bank 10 was static in the display.

As for your most recent message, my pressing the switch on my MC6 MKII that I assigned to Tuner, has always triggered the Tuner on my AxeFXIII’s display. It just doesn’t display on my MC6 MKII. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom