Axe Fx III vs Fm9

IMG_20220815_203334.jpg
Why not both?

CAF!

Anyone compare the virtual capo\pitch block from the Axe III and FM9... I know the FM3 doesn't track as close as the Axe III

<opinion>
This is strictly my experience. I have always been a rack everything guy and yet I purchased an FM9 specifically for the studio. I will continue to gig with amps or, for gigs where amps are not practical, a tiny HX Stomp (I know, I know).

In the past I have always purchased rack gear given a choice. However, I have also learned that I tend to be lazy about gear and that my creative periods tend to be brief and somewhat fragile. Therefore, once a piece of gear is racked, I'm very unlikely to climb behind it and experiment with routing in the heat of battle. Patch bays can help, but, for me, having all patching options laid bare, my pedals, amps and patch cables laying out beside a floor-based unit is just quicker for me and inspires more experimentation when the red light is on.
</opinion>

Last edited:
AX3 Turbo, FM9 Turbo, and FM3 owner here.. without question the AX3 is the most fun and most easy to go nuts with.. trying out everything in the fractal world but 95% of folks would be more than happy with the FM9, 50% with the FM3... this is just my opinion.. I gig with the FM9, when packing space is at a premium I can make the FM3 work.. I am spoiled but its cheaper than a boat...

AX3 Turbo, FM9 Turbo, and FM3 owner here.. without question the AX3 is the most fun and most easy to go nuts with.. trying out everything in the fractal world but 95% of folks would be more than happy with the FM9, 50% with the FM3... this is just my opinion.. I gig with the FM9, when packing space is at a premium I can make the FM3 work.. I am spoiled but its cheaper than a boat...
Couldn't agree more. If the FM9 had all the blocks available in AF3, it would be more like 98%. I know several players in my area who just don't need many effects. It's pretty much input, amp, cab, reverb, output. FM3 nails that and fits in many guitar soft case pouches.

Go for the III, it’s the best of the best. I’m going to add an FM9 just to make some grab & go jams easier, but if I could only have one it would be the III Turbo, hands down. As mentioned, if it can be done on a Fractal modeler, the III can do it, and some things only it can do.

Like YJM points out… “more is more!”

I am very lucky to have both. AXE III for the studio and FM9 for rehearsal and gigs for me. FM9 gets more use and I just set it up to record while I play through my power amp and cab for easy demo's at rehearsals. Love both of them.

The thing that keeps me from the FM9 is the lack of global blocks, which I use quite a bit. Everything else, I think I could work around by not using kitchen sink presets.

Go for the Ax3 and the FC-12. The Ax3 in a case is pretty darn portable. Carry a 2x12 combo amp, then try carrying the Ax3 for perspective.

FM3 + FC6 is slightly cheaper than the FM9. And, you'll have a FC6 to use with the FXIII when you get one of those :)
Hmmmmmmm. I hadn't considered that actually. Maybe that would be a good route for me.

Not to hijack the thread, but how limited is the FM3 for effects usage? I can see there are fewer delay and reverb blocks, which may be an issue for me.

Sometimes I like running my Fractal stuff into a solid-state amp, and then a traditional guitar cab. In that case, if I'm already taking a rack to the gig (for the power amp, power conditioner), then racking my III isn't a big deal. With the FM9, I like having the option of not having to worry about any of that. I can just go direct to FOH if I want, and optionally into a FRFR monitor.

I initially went with the III because, for that much money, it made sense to pay a little more and get the longevity and features of the flagship. Now I also have an FM9, but I'm keeping the III. I may even replace it with a Mk II Turbo if there's a point where it doesn't do everything I want.

Back
Top Bottom