Axe-FX III + UA Apollo Twin X

Paul Abell

Over the last year or so, I have been unable to get my Axe-FX III to transfer signal to my MacBook Pro M1 Max

I believe it quit working after the OS update last year, but I have been busy with other work, and I have been using other gear... I would really like to get this back up and running, and I figured I would get thoughts from anyone that has the same setup on the best way to set this up...

XLR - TRS cables output from AF3 to the input of the Twin X... this has worked in the past with my monitors connected to the Twin X. I have also used USB, but the only connection I now get is the AXE Edit... Again, no audio!

Any thoughts?

Paul

Over the last year or so, I have been unable to get my Axe-FX III to transfer signal to my MacBook Pro M1 Max

I believe it quit working after the OS update last year, but I have been busy with other work, and I have been using other gear... I would really like to get this back up and running, and I figured I would get thoughts from anyone that has the same setup on the best way to set this up...

XLR - TRS cables output from AF3 to the input of the Twin X... this has worked in the past with my monitors connected to the Twin X. I have also used USB, but the only connection I now get is the AXE Edit... Again, no audio!

Any thoughts?

Paul
Still looking for any help...

Rule #1 when faced with "How come I don't hear anything?" is: visit the meters page on the home screen. That will show you which usb channels are getting output. If that looks good, make sure you've got things set up properly in your computer (see the link below). Otherwise, try reinstalling the usb, not dsp, firmware. That's a pretty unusual problem, so if that doesn't sort it out, try contacting FAS support.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

P.S. The other "Rule #1" in these cases is: the problem might be a bad cable.

Last edited:
Have you gone through the guide of how to get Apollo devices to work on apple silicon? You have to alter some security settings in a boot menu

Have you gone through the guide of how to get Apollo devices to work on apple silicon? You have to alter some security settings in a boot menu
I did, and I am constantly having to redo this with Apple updates, so I can not guarantee that it is 100% sourcing as it should. Obviously, there is an issue somewhere... However, my UA Apollo Twin X works fine when I pug directly into the instrument jack on the front. The AF3 is what no longer gives signal... Axe Edit works fine...

Hi Paul,

If the Axe-Fx III is producing output at its headphones jack, then this almost certainly means the problem is farther downstream.

Rule #1 when faced with "How come I don't hear anything?" is: visit the meters page on the home screen. That will show you which usb channels are getting output. If that looks good, make sure you've got things set up properly in your computer (see the link below). Otherwise, try reinstalling the usb, not dsp, firmware. That's a pretty unusual problem, so if that doesn't sort it out, try contacting FAS support.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

P.S. The other "Rule #1" in these cases is: the problem might be a bad cable.
thanks for the link... Impressive PDF... as best I can recall, I must have been running and setup as listed in option 4... I looked and did not see my aggregate setup, so I did it again... Still no luck; I can get the speakers working but not the AF3 signal... I am sure something is cutoff that is keeping signal from being heard. I can hear hot though the headphone jack on the AF3... I need to check out the meters page. TO be honest, I am not sure I have ever looked at it...

Hi Paul,

If the Axe-Fx III is producing output at its headphones jack, then this almost certainly means the problem is farther downstream.

I assumed as much... I just need to figure out where the issue is. I do not think it is the Apollo Twin X interface... It is only a little over year old, as I replaced my older one when I upgraded computers last year.

Back
Top Bottom