AFIII Axe-FX III Tri-Chorus vs. Fulltone TERC (reprise)

hippietim

Axe-Master
A while back I posted a comparison of the Trichorus simulation in the Axe-FX III and a Fulltone "That 80's Rack Chorus" TERC which is a faithful recreation of the original Dyno-My-Piano. If you've heard 80's music, you've heard this effect. Since that original post, I managed to get the Axe-FX III even closer - to me it actually sounds better. And it's quieter than a real one too.

The Fulltone was connected via In/Out 2 as the loop. The Trichorus is mono in/stereo out so in the system setup, In 2 is configured as Stereo, Out 2 is configured as Sum L+R and +4db. The input level is straight up noon and the Output 2 knob on the front of the Axe-FX is straight up noon as well.

Here's a quick demo I made comparing them again. I have no idea if any of the things I'm playing in this demo actually used a Trichorus or not, I just thought they sounded appropriate. The guitar I used is a Warmoth/Musikraft Tele partscaster I built with Fralin Split Blade pickups.

I've attached two presets: Tri Chorus Clean.syx is just the clean amp and chorus settings I used in the demo without the loop for the Fulltone. Tri Chorus Demo.syx is the patch I used to compare the Axe-FX and the Fulltone - it's really only useful if you've got a Trichorus yourself to try using In/Out 2 as a loop.

Attachments

• Tri Chorus Clean.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Tri Chorus Demo.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 36
That's a beautiful sound. I can't wait till I get my III to try your presets :)

Thanks for posting these! :)

Sounds good although I have some questions about it :
- I remember testing years ago a , TC2290 , PCM80 delay vs Axe FX2 delays.....when routing the TC2290 , PCM through the Axe FX , it sounded good.....BUT when routing them straight into my DAW , it sounded so much more fuller , warmer.....so now that you have routed your TERC through the Axe , it may loose some of its 'bigness' ???

Perhaps you could do the test this way too :
- Guitar > TERC > DAW, so without the AXE
- Guitar > Axe FX > DAW , NO amps, cabs , verbs and stuff.....ALL DIRECT in both clips.....

Can it be done with a Strat sound , in 4th position.....please ?
:)

Pete Thorn got the best sound out of the Fulltone on his YouTube video. He used a Strat and had a very glassy sound. I keep saying I am going to sit down and try to match that when I have time. I think the Fulltone is also detuning also in the unit. Pete also stated that you can run the preset mode and manual mode at once with the LFO's turned up. This is the holy grail of all chorus out there. It appear to me that The Axe 3 can run a detune before the TriChorus with slow speed LFOs and then another one directly right after that with LFO speed at a faster rate. I also noticed that Pete did not have a lot of reverb mix on his sound to take away from that lush chorus. I don't think he had delay, but if he did it also had a low mix with a lot of regenerations. When I have time I do want to play with this. The thing about this, you have to have a strat that is as glassy as you can get without being brittle. You have to watch how much bottom end you use also. So let's take the TriChorus for a spin and see if anyone can match Pete's demo of the Fulltone. He did start out the demo with just chorus and then added reverb later.

It's also important to remember that the trichorus-effect itself doesn't give you that good 'ol Landau sound. Heavy compression, detune, modulated delay/verb, out-of-phase position and preferable mid-boost is all components that is needed to to get THAT sound. I remember this Youtube clip, that I discovered at hugeracksinc (back in the days), which demonstrates perfectly how important each component is to get instant Landau-vibe. And best of all - it's fully possible to recreate with the Axe-FX.

Last edited:
It's also important to remember that the trichorus-effect itself doesn't give you that good 'ol Landau sound. Heavy compression, detune, modulated delay/verb, out-of-phase position and preferable mid-boost is all components that is needed to to get THAT sound. I remember this Youtube clip, that I discovered at hugeracksinc (back in the days), which demonstrates perfectly how important each component is to get instant Landau-vibe. And best of all - it's fully possible to recreate with the Axe-FX.

Interessting Information from the comments:

I recorded this with a sm57 and a Sennheiser 421 (in stereo). The power amp is a marshall 9005. As for the speakers; it's just a standard marshall1960B (not sure about the speakers).

That sounds great. I did 2 detunes and two delays. I should have put a Multiplex delay. I have compression there but not quite as much as you have. Some of my favorite tones of the 80s is Landau, Huff, and Luke. The Strymon and Eventide delays and reverbs are really nice. I have not compared them to my Axe yet. Another thing I noticed is I used 20 and 30 ms delays on the detune and it sounds more like 30 and 40 ms and more like the multiplex delay with more compression than what I had. I would like my delay level down just a tad from what you had, but I like the regenerations. Good job!

Last edited:
I did add 6/1 compression, a plex delay and two detunes with delays 30,40,50,60 ms. Now it has three delays to allow me to create 8 scenes for just clean and graduated chorus, delay, and reverb. I have not done the scenes yet, but I will soon. I just want a glassy clean preset that covers all the glassy stuff.

This video has one of the best trichorus sound imho, my question is, with new trichorus block in Axe 3 is any chance to sounds like this video?

This video has one of the best trichorus sound imho, my question is, with new trichorus block in Axe 3 is any chance to sounds like this video?

I can get it close. I can't get the percussion of the compressor graping it. I tried every compressor. I can get 80 percent there, like I said on the Pete Thorn video. I did do some editing to my original preset and got it closer. Most I have seen uses a DBX 160 to get that sound. There is a compressor grab and analog warmth that is missing. When I have time I will move blocks around. A guy here did a demo and compared the two, but he ran the trichorus into his Axe and it did not sound like yours either, but the real one sounded the same through the AXE. Another guy said Landau ran into a DAW and did not use speakers. I might try to use just a preamp and keep trying. Pete Thorn went straight into his DAW, used two Suhr heads in stereo. I used a Fender amp and have not tried just a preamp. I did not use a cab. Like I said, it is 80 percent there and really sounds great, but not as good as your example. I adjusted the delays and reverb and those are there. It is that percussion of the note grap and a little analog warmth that is missing to me. On one video, the Dbx was a 6 to 1 ratio and that is what I am using. You can't go higher without stomping too much on the sound. It would be nice if someone had a DBX 160 and insert it in the AXE and see if that is all it its. I have it detuned with 40,50,60,70ms at -08 left and +08 right side. I turned the reverb off to get the regenerations right on both delays and then used a delay length of 9 sec and all the effects are there. I did not have enough regeneration on the preset I have here or enough room size, but I have fixed that. If may be just the way the DBX graps the preset and it might even color the sound. Another thing I did was add a parametric and add some highs too. It is glassy and clean and the effects are right. I am thinking that a DBX would fix it. If not, it is because the AXE converters are dulling the sound. I do know this. if I plug into the Axe and only put in a input and output it it dull sounding. If I plug into my DAW it is clear, pristine, and better. Maybe a good idea is to do a tone match of my guitar going straight into my Daw and put the tone match block right after the input. Still that does not solve the compressor grab.

Last edited:
Any way of converting or getting this on the Ax8 I know you have multiples of effect s but the tri chorus ? Any way of converting this ?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom