Axe-Fx III to replace mixer

secondwindow

Power User
Hello

I’m lookimg forward to getting my III, but still on the wait list. In the meantime ...

Is anyone using their III to replace their mixer for studio monitoring and recordiding via USB?

I’ve been using a Presonus mixer and only using two mic inputs plus four more inputs as stereo pairs for a sound module and drum machine ... plus the outputs from my AX8. It occured to me that this input setup is pretty much what I’ll have on my III.

With the above in mind, could I just use the III instead of my mixer for monitoring and USB recording to my PC? If so, I could sell my mixer and have more cash to fund my III as well as clear off some space on my desk.

Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated!

Eric

the Axe-Fx III does not have mic preamps. so that's a big one.

otherwise, no, i don't think it functions as a mixer. it has inputs, but it's not really a mixer, especially since all inputs and outputs operate on the Preset level.

could you plug things in? sure. is it a mixer? nah, not really.

Ok, that helps. I’d at least have to use an external mic preamp, hadn’t thought of that.

I’m trying to decipher just what they mean on the website. It sounds promising, but I’m not clear on what they mean.

“...
The Center of your Music Workstation
A 16-core, 500 MHz microcontroller provides 16 channels of flawless USB audio (8 in, 8 out) allowing the Axe-Fx III to be the center of your music workstation. The audiophile-grade signal path components and converters provide better audio performance than most dedicated USB audio interfaces. With 8×8 channels you can record multiple tracks of processed audio, DI signals, etc., while monitoring backing tracks, auditioning stereo reamps in real-time, and more. A USB audio sound source can even be placed on the grid with its own dedicated block. Windows 7/8/10 drivers are included, and the Axe-Fx III requires no driver on a Mac running 10.7.4 or newer.
...”

i guess it depends on what you mean by "mixer." if you mean something that you can use to real-time mix things, then maybe no.

but if you mean an audio interface to plug things into and get sound to your DAW, then yes, which is what the paragraph you quoted describes.

Thanks much, Chris. That makes sense. Although I might be able to get some mixer-like functionality, I’d need to have the routing as part of each preset. Cheers! Eric

Here’s a curious question: could i use its inputs to say, have mybassplayer, singer, and a central mic for the drums plug in and mix it so I can use in ear monitors to mix the band for band practice?

Here’s a curious question: could i use its inputs to say, have mybassplayer, singer, and a central mic for the drums plug in and mix it so I can use in ear monitors to mix the band for band practice?
would everyone share 1 headphone output and mix? or is this just for you? again, no mic preamps are on the Axe-Fx III, which microphones need.

can it work? sure. but it's not ideal.

So the mics would go into our pa that has an unused “monitor out” which I can then ?plug into axe input and similarly mic drums for mix just for me?

So the mics would go into our pa that has an unused “monitor out” which I can then ?plug into axe input and similarly mic drums for mix just for me?
maybe. if you're planning on using the Headphone out on the Axe itself, then you have to route everything you want to hear to Out 1 block, and your guitar signal by itself to another output, so you don't send another copy of mics and drums back to the PA.

again, workable, but not ideal.

Back
Top Bottom