AXE FX III taking control over Sonarworks

Interesting thread. I've been using the program on Windows 11 for a few months now. Set up 4 different sets of speakers.
I have a few instances in the daw w the different curves. Turn em on and off depending on what set of speakers. I even did it for the Headrush 108s we use for studio jams.
Works fine here. No crashes yet.

Same here as Dickie. Occasionally I might find that the default PC audio device has changed and I have to reassign but maybe this happens once a Month.

Hi all,

This is Marco from Sonarworks once more, I hope you’re all doing great!

We have released a new SoundID Reference 5.7.3 Beta update, and it includes the major macOS driver rework, as discussed earlier here. The update includes a complete driver rebuild, as well as moving the audio processing fully from the SoundID Reference app onto the HAL driver format instead, resolving some permissions and process priority conflicts, and improving the overall performance and stability. It also introduces a new Audio Sync Mode feature with 4 different clock sync modes to choose from.

The new driver addresses a variety of audio driver issues reported by our macOS users, such as the “Preset Switch Failed” errors, no sound and/or audio driver disappearing after computer sleep or regular idle time, climbing latency, audio dropouts, some leftover issues with native Apple Silicon compatibility, and a string of other issues.

The driver rebuild has been in progress for the past 18 months with a massive development effort behind it, and we are excited to finally have entered the public Beta testing phase. If you have experienced the issues mentioned above, it would be fantastic to get some feedback on the new Beta.

Join the conversation on our Community Page for more details and instructions:
https://www.sonarworks.com/communit...ta-testing-soundid-reference-beta-version-573

Many thanks, and happy mixing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also if you are using your Axe-Fx 3 as an audio device, you can take the corrections from Sonarworks and make IRs out of them.
  1. Generate a sweep. My understanding is Logic can do this on its own, otherwise you can use Voxengo deconvolver.
  2. Add the sweep to a track.
  3. Run that through the Sonarworks plugin with corrections enabled and then the saved track into e.g Voxengo deconvolver or Logic's own tools.
  4. Do this separately for left and right channel.
  5. Export IRs and import them into Axe-Fx 3.
  6. Load IRs in the IR Player block, pan them L/R and adjust output volume if needed.
  7. Route your USB audio into the grid, through the IR player block into your preferred outputs.
Now you have Axe-Fx as room or headphones correction. You might want to save this setup to the library for the IR Player block and save a preset just for music listening.

It's a shame that IR Player does not support global blocks as it would be perfect for this use.
Could you please describe this a bit more in detail? I'm not very technically accomplished when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks in advance.

Could you please describe this a bit more in detail? I'm not very technically accomplished when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks in advance.
This video explains the process. You'd just replace BiasFx with the Sonarworks plugin in this case.

Also if you are using your Axe-Fx 3 as an audio device, you can take the corrections from Sonarworks and make IRs out of them.
  1. Generate a sweep. My understanding is Logic can do this on its own, otherwise you can use Voxengo deconvolver.

Yes, Logic comes with an IR Utility that you can use to generate a sweep, but no, you can't use Voxengo Deconvolver since that's Windows only.

These days though, generating IR's with MLSTool is usually a better option than IR Utility or Voxengo anyway. Just create a loopback audio device pair with Rogue Amoeba Loopback (or your audio interface or your Axe-FX), and use that for input and output on both your DAW track and MLSTool. Press "Start" and a moment later you'll have an IR .wav file, already cropped and normalized and ready to import into your Axe-FX.

There are various ways to do it, but here's how I would do it. Load the attached preset and set your input 1 source to digital. In your DAW, go to the track with the plugins you want to capture, turn on input monitoring and set the output usb channel for the track to 5. Set up the MLSTool (https://www.wavearts.com) audio settings as in the screenshot below. Press the MLSTool "Start" button and you're done. You now have an IR .wav file you can import into your Axe-FX that captured the plugins on that track.

Dual Loopback.jpgMLSTool.jpg

Attachments

• Dual Loopback.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
There are various ways to do it, but here's how I would do it. Load the attached preset and set your input 1 source to digital. In your DAW, go to the track with the plugins you want to capture, turn on input monitoring and set the output usb channel for the track to 5. Set up the MLSTool (https://www.wavearts.com) audio settings as in the screenshot below. Press the MLSTool "Start" button and you're done. You now have an IR .wav file you can import into your Axe-FX that captured the plugins on that track.

View attachment 126498View attachment 126500
Thanks Glenn!

I managed to get the IR-files out of MLSTool via your Axe FX loop preset and I/O settings but when I import the wave files into my AXE FX IR Player block it's dead silent.

Switching to my normal use if IR at Channel A (some AutoEQ stuff from https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq) I get sound but switching to the new IR:s at channel B in my IR block in the Axe FX it's completely silent. For information, I use two output in my presets; Output 1 is for my monitoring of the guitar tone with correction (the IR Player block is set up in stereo with two IR:s) and Output 2 records the tone in Logic without any correction from the IR Player block (because I got Sonarworks loaded on my master channel there).

This is how I'm set up:

Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 17.01.49.png
Should I alter any of the settings above? I went what loaded up as default.
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 17.01.52.png
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 17.08.09.png

Don‘t forget to turn on input monitoring on the track and send the track output to channel 5. If you have it set up right, you’ll see activity in the RTA block when you press the Test or Start button.

You can verify you got a good IR by loading it into a cab block and looking at the align page.

Last edited:
Don‘t forget to turn on input monitoring on the track and send the track output to channel 5. If you have it set up right, you’ll see activity in the RTA block when you press the Test or Start button.

You can verify you got a good IR by loading it into a cab block and looking at the align page.
Oh, of course I forgot the DAW part in the first place....:p
However now I've done that - I don't see any activity in the RTA block. I also get a very very loud static noise while the MSLTool is doing its job....?

This is how DAW is set up. I cannot place the Sonarwork-plug in directly on the track, so I have to place in on Output 5-6 in Logic.
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 19.19.34.png

In the Axe? I did that but it won't still won't work for me.
Go to the meters page of the main screen on the Axe-FX. When you press the Test button you should be getting activity on USB Input 7 from MLSTool and USB Input 5 from Logic. You should see output on channels 1 and 3.

Go to the meters page of the main screen on the Axe-FX. When you press the Test button you should be getting activity on USB Input 7 from MLSTool and USB Input 5 from Logic. You should see output on channels 1 and 3.

This is what it looks like when I press Test in MLSTool.
I get activity in Logic on the track as well. Still nothing in the RTA block in the Axe though.

IMG_7616.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe you don't have the Axe-FX Input 1 source set to digital/usb(channels 5,6) as in my screenshot above?

Back
Top Bottom