AFIII Axe-Fx III sounds great via monitors and speakers- recording with any software via USB it has crackling / oversaturated sound quality

Mine is the exact same ... over saturated and almost fizzy sounding. Sounds great out of the monitors and really good through the headphones but USB recording doesn't sound great on playback. Frustrating. My Kemper is the same into Logic

I'm gonna try using the headphone out with a TRS cable and see if that works ... Sounds really good in my headphones.

I observed something on the meters page that could explain what my ears are telling me.

The USB OUT 1/2 meters are most likely clipping.

The ANALOG IN and ANALOG OUT meters behave according to the dynamic they get from the guitar. My preset level is adjusted so that the analog output just hovers the 0Db line.
However, the USB OUT 1/2 meters a always topped. There is an amplification somewhere pushing the USB OUT signal. This is happening whether the usb cable is pugged into my computer or not. (USB OUT 3/4 seem to behave normally).

This fits exactly with what I hear of recorded tracks over USB. A heavily compressed and unnatural sound having a quality loss that looks like a constant clipping (top end digital white noise).

Now I need to find if there is a parameter somewhere controlling this or if it's a problem with my unit or the firmware.
I will probably turn this to the official Fractal Support.

Back
Top Bottom