Axe-Fx III Power Cycles and Blinks & Power-cycles when FC-12 Connected (Resolved)

almesy

Just curious if anyone has run into this issue... (I emailed support today - with it being Easter, I'm assuming it'll be a day or two to hear back)

It just started this morning when I powered the AXE III up and connected the FC-12. AXE fires up fine, no issues. It's fine when I connect the (Fractal) foot control cable in the back. As soon as I plug into the FC-12, the AXE III screen starts to blink white, and then it power cycles. The FC-12 never lights up.

I've tried the usual suspects already - different cable, different order of connecting things, reverted firmware back from Beta 16 to 15.01, etc. Still behaves the same. I did try connected a OneSpot power adapter to the FC-12 and it did prevent the AXE III from power cycling, but the FC-12 didn't power up. Tried to reload firmware via FractalBot but it didn't "see" the FC-12.

Anyone run into this before? (I do have a buddy who has an FC-12 so I can try plugging his in to test but wont get to see him for a day or two to try it out).

Try another cable. I know you already tried, but if you have another try that, too.

Has it ever worked or is it new?

There was someone a while back that went thru a handful of XLR cables before finding one that worked. If they are the same brand it could be a manufacturing issue.

Hopefully support will get you sorted out.

It’s always worked perfectly- I’m guessing it’s about a year and a half old. Just randomly started this morning.
I haven’t tried a third xlr cable but will also give that a shot as well.. thanks for the suggestion.

(the one I’ve always used was the fractal supplied one.)

I had this problem about 2 years ago. I believe in my case it was a combination of either my XLR cable or the neutrik jack on my pedalboard that I had it plugged into that was shorting out and causing the issue. I changed the cable and the jack and have never had this happen again. However, it seems that you may have already tried the cable part so you will probably need to call support.

I'm fortunate enough to have a buddy with an FC-12 as well, along with the same Fractal FASLink / XLR cable that I use. So I can swap his stuff in and out as well for more trouble shooting. I'm sure it'll probably come down to the jack on the FC-12 at this point but we'll see - just weird that it started so randomly, but I guess that happens. I'm sure FAS Support will help me get it squared away here shortly.

Thanks guys...

Just an update to anyone who may be interested or have a similar scenario in the future:
1) No surprise Fractal Support responded very quickly (both directly to me and as is obvious from Matt’s post above). I ended up needing to ship back today at their recommendation to have them look at it.
2) Fortunately I have a friend with an FC-12 and he let me borrow both that and his cable. Connecting my AXE III to his FC-12 with both of my cables as his all worked perfectly. That was helpful narrowing down to it not being related to cables or the AXE III (and specifically the FC-12).

So, FedEx has it and it’ll be in Fractal’s capable hands Thursday....

Just a quick shout out of appreciation to FAS Support. Already have the FC-12 back and in use as of today. In case anyone else runs into similar a problem, it was the "power barrel jack" that was bad and needed replaced.

FAS got it done and I had UPS return tracking within a day of them receiving it - thanks FAS Support!

Back
Top Bottom