Axe-FX III Not Connecting to MacBook (M1 w/ USB C)

Hey everyone,

Don't kill me, I have not updated my Axe-Fx III since March of 2020. I have been insanely busy and with Covid, school, work, life, time really got away from me. I finally got some time and was going to back it up, update it, and play with the shiny new Cygnus. I was really looking forward to this.

However, I've run into a hitch. It won't connect to my Macbook or iMac on Axe-Edit III. I've tried different USB cables and USB-C adapters (tested the cables and adapters too on different devices - they all work fine). I've tried restarting and uninstalling Axe-Edit and restarting my computer. Fractal-Bot won't connect either.

Are there settings I might be missing on the Axe-Fx III that I may have accidentally tampered with and it's not connecting because of that? Is there something special I need to do on this M1 Macbook? It's my first time using it with Axe-Edit and the III. Any help is greatly appreciated. I've spent hours troubleshooting this and would love some help.

Thank you!

However, I've run into a hitch. It won't connect to my Macbook or iMac on Axe-Edit III. I've tried different USB cables and USB-C adapters (tested the cables and adapters too on different devices - they all work fine). I've tried restarting and uninstalling Axe-Edit and restarting my computer. Fractal-Bot won't connect either.
Check to make sure your System report (About this Mac) shows a "Axe-Fx III" device on the USB 3 bus. Note that the USB firmware is a separate download from the dsp firmware.

Check to make sure your System report (About this Mac) shows a "Axe-Fx III" device on the USB 3 bus. Note that the USB firmware is a separate download from the dsp firmware.
I looked and I don't see it. I don't know how I will update the USB if Fractal-Bot won't see it. I feel like I'm in a catch 22. Unless there's something I'm missing.

Are you trying to connect via a hub? I’m using a CalDigit hub and my FX3 connects to my M1 Mac Mini. Also, have you tried a different cable?

I have an M1 Mac Mini with my AF3, and I'm using an USB A to B cable, which works fine since the Mini has a choice of USB-A or USB-C (shapewise). Are both of your computers USB-C port only? If the prior question is true, are you using a cable built as USB-B to USB-C, or are you only able to try USB-A to USB-B with an adapter A to C?

@Veritas0Aequitas I think @GlennO might be right. Check here: https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/

Axe-Fx III USB Firmware Update v1.10​

If your last update was March of 2020, it could be the USB update that's preventing the computer from seeing it.
It’s a MacBook, they don’t have a USB download…
No Driver is required for Mac OS X.
Connect the Axe-Fx III via USB and it will appear
in System Preferences and all audio/MIDI apps.
See https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB#Troubleshooting

You’re confusing the driver with the firmware. There is no Mac usb driver, but there is usb firmware for the AxeFX.
I never needed to load anything for my units to work with my Macs. They just worked. I had problems with a hub but connecting around it solved those problems.

I looked and I don't see it. I don't know how I will update the USB if Fractal-Bot won't see it. I feel like I'm in a catch 22. Unless there's something I'm missing.
You should be able to transmit it via midi, but I’d be surprised if that’s the problem.

@GlennO is right that there's an update for the USB driver inside the FX3 if the embedded driver is older than v1.10.

From the READ ME:

To check your current version:
1. Press HOME
2. Press SETUP (push-knob E)
3. Select Utilities using the Nav buttons.
4. Press ENTER to show the Utilities menu.
5. Page right to the Version page.
6. Your USB firmware version is shown on the screen.
If it's prior to 1.10 then you need to update, but you won't be able to if you can't get the Mac to see it, so, again, you'll need to fall back to support.

but you won't be able to if you can't get the Mac to see it,
As I explained above, the firmware update is a .syx file, so you can simply transmit it via midi if usb is not available. That's the old school way of doing AxeFX firmware updates :).

@Veritas0Aequitas I didn't see an answer about your connection. Are you using a usb adapter to connect directly to the port or is there a hub in between? I've found with some finicky devices I need a hub sitting in the middle. You might just need this connectivity until you get the Axe firmware updated then it might play better with a direct connection. Anyway I guess the point is to play around with the connections. I also believe at one point I saw someone fixing this by actually cracking the unit open and reseating a cable but start with tech support before opening up the unit.

@Veritas0Aequitas I didn't see an answer about your connection. Are you using a usb adapter to connect directly to the port or is there a hub in between? I've found with some finicky devices I need a hub sitting in the middle. You might just need this connectivity until you get the Axe firmware updated then it might play better with a direct connection. Anyway I guess the point is to play around with the connections. I also believe at one point I saw someone fixing this by actually cracking the unit open and reseating a cable but start with tech support before opening up the unit.
Sorry I have been meaning to reply to everyone but haven't had the chance.

I am using a regular USB-A to USB-B cable with a USB-C adapter on the USB-A end for my Macbook. I tried a friends Windows PC, my macbook, another macbook, and an iMac. With the other devices it was straight USB-A to USB-B, not adapter. I also tried another cable. I will try a hub and some other things but this is quite frustrating. I'm trying to rule things out progressively. I will probably open up a ticket in the next day or two.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom