Axe-Fx III no output after disconnecting FC-12

Kuceracrew

I’ve had my III for about 6 months and my FC12 for about 3 months. Prior to that I also owned an AX8 and an Ultra.
I’m trying to troubleshoot an output issue I’m having with my III that occurs after I have disconnected my FC12 from my III.
My live set up is simple...guitar direct to III, III to my FRFR, III XLR (FASLINK II) to my FC12. Using a simple default scene layout with the FC12. Fractal EV-1 expression pedal connected to FC12 and being used for volume only.
When I have finished playing a set I typically power down by first uncoupling the XLR that connects the III to my FC12 and then power down my III after that.
I have noticed that after I uncouple the FC12 from the III, and before powering down my III, that the output signal from my III goes away. In other words, there is input signal showing on the III but the output signal shows nothing and there is no longer any guitar signal coming through my FRFR.
If I reboot my III then my output signal returns (with LED’s showing the same on the III) and I have guitar signal to my FRFR again. If I then couple my FC12 to my III then everything works as expected as well.
So...this seems like strange behavior to me. Why would my III provide input and output signal as normal prior to the FC12 attached, continue to do the same after attaching the FC12, and then once I uncouple my FC12 (with my III still up and running) show input signal , but no output signal?
Am I overlooking something obvious like an I/O setting? Does this seem like an issue that can possibly be troubleshooted? If so, is this an issue with my III or my FC12...or both? Should I reach out for support/warranty work with FAS? Has anyone else experienced this output issue?
(Sorry for the long post and all of the questions)
It’s not a huge deal in the big picture, but having to reboot my III to get the output from my III to work after decoupling my FC12 just doesn’t seem right.
Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

I’ve had my III for about 6 months and my FC12 for about 3 months. Prior to that I also owned an AX8 and an Ultra.
I’m trying to troubleshoot an output issue I’m having with my III that occurs after I have disconnected my FC12 from my III.
My live set up is simple...guitar direct to III, III to my FRFR, III XLR (FASLINK II) to my FC12. Using a simple default scene layout with the FC12. Fractal EV-1 expression pedal connected to FC12 and being used for volume only.
When I have finished playing a set I typically power down by first uncoupling the XLR that connects the III to my FC12 and then power down my III after that.
I have noticed that after I uncouple the FC12 from the III, and before powering down my III, that the output signal from my III goes away. In other words, there is input signal showing on the III but the output signal shows nothing and there is no longer any guitar signal coming through my FRFR.
If I reboot my III then my output signal returns (with LED’s showing the same on the III) and I have guitar signal to my FRFR again. If I then couple my FC12 to my III then everything works as expected as well.
So...this seems like strange behavior to me. Why would my III provide input and output signal as normal prior to the FC12 attached, continue to do the same after attaching the FC12, and then once I uncouple my FC12 (with my III still up and running) show input signal , but no output signal?
Am I overlooking something obvious like an I/O setting? Does this seem like an issue that can possibly be troubleshooted? If so, is this an issue with my III or my FC12...or both? Should I reach out for support/warranty work with FAS? Has anyone else experienced this output issue?
(Sorry for the long post and all of the questions)
It’s not a huge deal in the big picture, but having to reboot my III to get the output from my III to work after decoupling my FC12 just doesn’t seem right.
Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
Do you have a volume modifier (amp level, volume block, something along those lines) connected to the expression pedal and when you disconnect the FC the expression pedal signal disconnects and it defaults the knob to “0”?

... from the Layout screen , on the front panel, if you page right to “Meters”, should make trouble shooting easy. Just visually check and see which block is no longer graphically showing output (lower bars) or input (upper bars) level after you disconnect the FC, and then investigate the modifiers there.

Last edited:
Do you have a volume modifier (amp level, volume block, something along those lines) connected to the expression pedal and when you disconnect the FC the expression pedal signal disconnects and it defaults the knob to “0”?

... from the Layout screen , on the front panel, if you page right to “Meters”, should make trouble shooting easy. Just visually check and see which block is no longer graphically showing output (lower bars) or input (upper bars) level after you disconnect the FC, and then investigate the modifiers there.
I’ve got my EV-1 connected to the Pedal 1 jack on my FC12. I’m not using the pedal to engage/disengage a volume block that is embedded in any preset/scene. I’m using the pedal simply as a traditional global volume pedal. Again, when I reboot my III the output works just as normal. It’s only after decoupling the FC12 from my III that I am seeing this output issue.

I’ve got my EV-1 connected to the Pedal 1 jack on my FC12. I’m not using the pedal to engage/disengage a volume block that is embedded in any preset/scene. I’m using the pedal simply as a traditional global volume pedal. Again, when I reboot my III the output works just as normal. It’s only after decoupling the FC12 from my III that I am seeing this output issue.
Out of curiosity when you unplug the FC12 is the EV-1 in the heel down position? Does this issue still happen if you put the EV-1 toe down first, and then unplug the FC12?

Back
Top Bottom