Axe-Fx III Multi Mic / Preamp Setup Question

Hi All,

After watching Leon's @2112 "Recording Tips & Tricks - Video" it got me thinking about signal routing, etc with multi mic's for drum's.

After reading that section of the manual again it looks like you could have 4 mic inputs to work with. I would love to hear your thoughts on the below setups. Although after costing mic pre's it might be cheaper and easier to just get a 4-8 input Focusrite Clarett or Apogee Element.

For this setup I am thinking that you could use something like the 4 channel Warm Audio Mic Pre going into the Left and Right inputs of Input 2 and 3 on the AxeFx III for 4 channels of audio.

wa-412-gallery-front.jpg

Then the AxeFx III would be set up using Input 3 Left and Right going into Output 2 for 2 channels of audio, then Input 2 Left and Right for the other 2 channels of audio. The manual states the Input 2 defaults to Input's 7 and 8 in your DAW via USB. This would be recording just the dry mic signal to your DAW, You could then route each signal to an EQ, 1 would be panned (Balance) Left to effect that channel of audio and 1 would be panned Right for the other.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 9.35.43 PM.png
You could then route the EQ and or Compressor blocks to a Mixer block to adjust a basic mix for monitoring which would then go to Output 1, with some Reverb, etc added if you want just for monitoring purposes.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 9.36.54 PM.png
The in your DAW, Logic in my case, you would have 4 Channels of audio using Inputs 3,4,7, and 8 in the software.
Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 9.41.55 PM.png
I would probably just go into a studio to record actual drums, but would this be the setup to record multi mic's? I am probably going to grab an inexpensive single channel mic pre soon to record acoustic guitar.

My mind just tends to wonder about the possibilities and the logistics of the setup.

Thanks for your thoughts and help!

Absolutely, you can use the III for recording in this way. I do something similar live for small solo/duo gigs: run a few mics into an external pre, into Axe input 3 L/R, add eq and reverb, mix the levels, and output to powered speakers. No mixing board needed.

And for larger gigs--just the guitar goes to Out 1 FOH, and I mix in my vocal mic for IEM on Out 2. Like a lot of musicians, I've replaced a SERIOUS amount of stage gear with the Axe III :)

Back
Top Bottom