Axe-Fx III, Matrix GT1000FX, 2 Xitone Passives: WOW!

Snouttrout

Inspired
I recently posted to the forum about some of the my concerns I had about using the Axe Fx III. At the time, my setup was the Axe Fx III, Matrix GT1000FX, and real mesa boogie 4x12. The combination sounded great, but I wasn't enjoying the sound coming out of the PA. After reading the forum, I took a chance and ordered myself a pair of Xintone passive 12 inch FRFR cabinets. I experimented at home with different cabinet models. I am using the JP2C amp model and I stumbled onto one of the ML audio 4x12 cab IRs. I think it's the 1014--4x12 USA Trad 121 c1 ML, but I'd have to check. All I can say is that this is the best sound I've ever had. It is incredibly focused and tight. (I tried the legacy Petrucci cab model but I had trouble dialing in a sound that worked for me.) I was completely surprised at how great it sounded. I play in a metal band, and my drummer uses the PA for this kick drum. I could have crushed him with volume if I had wanted to.

People haven't really commented on the volume of the Xitones with the matrix GT1000FX. Those two cabs were every bit as loud as the 4x12 and had the same punch you'd expect from a 4x12. After using these cabs with the Axe, I don't really understand all of the amp in the room debate. This is the sound I am looking for, and I can't wait to experiment with different amp and cabinet settings.

I'm also using my AxeFx III with the GT1000FX and 2 passive Xitone's . Most of the time I use only one but powering up 2 using one as a stage wash for the drummer and bassist really is a powerful rig . It's a great time to be a guitarist !! Good luck on your journey .

Funny to see this post, I just finished a very inspiring jam with this exact setup! I find the volume is plenty loud, but I'm in a small room and have to stand 3 feet away from the drum kit. The cymbals can drown out my guitar at times, but then again my drummer hits them hard. I probably should be more concerned that his drums are going to make me deaf than anything else... How far away are you from the drums when you play?

Otherwise this is an awesome setup. The only thing I had to do was adjust my Global EQ to cut some highs and mids that were bothering me through the XiTones. The same presets sound perfect without any EQ on my studio monitors.

Funny to see this post, I just finished a very inspiring jam with this exact setup! I find the volume is plenty loud, but I'm in a small room and have to stand 3 feet away from the drum kit. The cymbals can drown out my guitar at times, but then again my drummer hits them hard. I probably should be more concerned that his drums are going to make me deaf than anything else... How far away are you from the drums when you play?

Otherwise this is an awesome setup. The only thing I had to do was adjust my Global EQ to cut some highs and mids that were bothering me through the XiTones. The same presets sound perfect without any EQ on my studio monitors.

My cabs are about 10 ft away and they are extremely loud

I looked further into this and this combination of the matrix power amp and passive FRFR(PA cabs) seems to have been/be a long standing practice with FAS users , since the early days of the first axe fx ultra.(so what is that over a decade ago).

What is the difference between a power amp and PA system vs an “amp style” single speaker FRFr (like an atomic CLR wedge?)? Pros/cons???

It seems to me almost like a half stack (Mesa dual rectifier pre/power amp + passive cab) vs a recto combo [vs. Mesa tri axis+2:90+can, really if you think about it]

I also want to consider upgrading from using studio monitors and am trying to decide between a simple All in 1 FRFR solution or the matrix route

(Also did anyone else buy an axe fx iii with the option for the FC6? Cuz I see someone got it with theirs but I just bought mine and I didn’t have that option)

I looked further into this and this combination of the matrix power amp and passive FRFR(PA cabs) seems to have been/be a long standing practice with FAS users , since the early days of the first axe fx ultra.(so what is that over a decade ago).

What is the difference between a power amp and PA system vs an “amp style” single speaker FRFr (like an atomic CLR wedge?)? Pros/cons???

It seems to me almost like a half stack (Mesa dual rectifier pre/power amp + passive cab) vs a recto combo [vs. Mesa tri axis+2:90+can, really if you think about it]

I also want to consider upgrading from using studio monitors and am trying to decide between a simple All in 1 FRFR solution or the matrix route

(Also did anyone else buy an axe fx iii with the option for the FC6? Cuz I see someone got it with theirs but I just bought mine and I didn’t have that option)

I am new to the Axe Fx and the world of FRFR cabs. But in my experience, it is very important that you get either a very good FRFR speaker system or a high quality PA. I was not happy with the sound I was getting when using it direct to my PA, but I LOVE the sound from the Xitones. The only con I have right now would be that I don't really have a place to put my Axe Fx, as the Xitones are wedges. Otherwise I love it the sound and have tremendous volume, enough for any gig.

I am new to the Axe Fx and the world of FRFR cabs. But in my experience, it is very important that you get either a very good FRFR speaker system or a high quality PA.
Same thing.
FRFR = PA Speaker
The above is like saying - you either need to get a car or an automobile.
Not trying to be a wise ass, just trying to give context.

I was not happy with the sound I was getting when using it direct to my PA, but I LOVE the sound from the Xitones.
This simply means that the speakers you dialed in your presets on, did not translate well to your PA (could be because your PA is low quality, or could be some other reason - like the speakers you dialed in your presets are not flat / low quality)

Flat doesn't mean quality, but when dialing presets, if you dial in on the flattest speakers you have available, they should translate well across platforms (other FRFR/PA speakers).

Well dialed presets will sound good on the Xitones....or CLR....or Yamaha DXR....or RCF NX12ma...etc.

As I said, I’m new to the FRFR thing; however, my presets did not sound good on the EV ZLX 12 p. The same presets sound great on my XiTones. So, as I said, high quality PA or good FRFR cabs.

I get your point. PAs should be FRFR but not all PAs are created equal.
It wasn't my point...

And to be clear, not all "FRFR" are created equal, either... And in fact FRFR is not a very accurate term.

There is really no difference in a "PA monitor wedge" and an "FRFR wedge". They are the same thing, although there are some FRFR solutions that were "designed" for modelers.

This is what @BBN what trying to say.

You have taken my post about enjoying the AxeFx with Xitones into a debate about FRFR and PAs. All I'm saying is I enjoyed the AxeFx with the Xitones. I also asserted that all PAs are not created equal. I'm not sure what you're trying add other than FRFR = PA. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to say that I prefer my Xitones to the PA I tried. I didn't think my PA was of the best quality so I suggested that a good PA or FRFR cab should be used. It's fine with me if you don't want to distinguish PAs from FRFR cabs as being distinct.

Last edited:
You have taken my post about enjoying the AxeFx with Xitones into a debate about FRFR and PAs. All I'm saying is I enjoyed the AxeFx with the Xitones. I also asserted that all PAs are not created equal. I'm not sure what you're trying add other than FRFR = PA. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to say that I prefer my Xitones to the PA I tried. I didn't think my PA was of the best quality so I suggested that a good PA or FRFR cab should be used. It's fine with me if you don't want to distinguish PAs from FRFR cabs as being distinct.
Sorry, I'm really not trying to make this a debate... Only provide some education.

It isn't that I don't want to make a distinction between the two. There IS no distinction. That is the whole point.

But I'll leave it there. Enjoy your Xitones... I definitely enjoy mine.

Contrary to what you are hearing from others....I hear things the same way you do...
My Turbosound IQ10's and IQ12's have a few different built in speaker sims...the Meyer Cab emulation is the flattest of them but none are "Flat" FRFR...they all color the sound before you even start EQ'ing....

My Laney FRFR and my Headrush FRFR sound more like an amp in the room than the IQ's do or the EV's I had before them.

Just my 2 cents....

On a different topic, I noticed that I don't actually need to use any noise gates! This is really amazing, as I've never really enjoyed using them. Maybe they're automatically engaged or something? If it is, I've not noticed any typical noise gate problems that occur when you back off the volume. Really impressive.

I didn't think my PA was of the best quality so I suggested that a good PA or FRFR cab should be used. It's fine with me if you don't want to distinguish PAs from FRFR cabs as being distinct.

They're not distinct. They are the same thing.
There are high quality and low qualify PA/FRFR.
XiTone is a FRFR. XiTone is a PA speaker.

Your EV speaker is lower end, thus why you likely didn't like it. It is still considered both a PA speaker and a FRFR solution.
FRFR is just another way of saying PA speaker.

On a different topic, I noticed that I don't actually need to use any noise gates! This is really amazing, as I've never really enjoyed using them. Maybe they're automatically engaged or something? If it is, I've not noticed any typical noise gate problems that occur when you back off the volume. Really impressive.
The Input block has a default gate enabled...

I usually turn it down or off...

Back
Top Bottom