Axe FX III Into Headphones - How to tweak cab for best sound?

deakle

Experienced
So I play exclusively through headphones. Any tips on how to tweak the cab block for the best tone? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

As a fellow headphones user, what improved my experience the most was using AutoEQ. You input your headphone model, and it will give you 10-band EQ settings (to be applied to Global EQ) based on those headphones that make your output through them more "neutral". Instantly improved my enjoyment playing, creating presets and my mixes overall.

So I play exclusively through headphones. Any tips on how to tweak the cab block for the best tone? Any and all suggestions appreciated.
This doesn't really answer your question but it might be a good idea to flatten out the Output 1 to match your headphones first. Save a Parametric EQ block tweaked to your specific headphones to take that part of it out of the equation. Then tweak your cab block to taste.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results

Add some reverb or FullRes cabs. Monitoring through headphones can be unnaturally dry and in your face sounding. It can help to add a touch of room ambience to push the tone back in the soundscape a bit.

The best thing I’ve found you can do to improve “direct” listening is to get the sense of physical space (reverb) right.

Start spending some real time tweaking the reverb block, or even experimenting with long form IR’s / convolution reverb if you can. That will get you closer to sounding like you’re listening to an amp in an actual physical space, rather than a direct feed of a close mic’d cab.

I generally have a little to a lot of reverb depending on what im doing. A lot of reverb is usually ran parallel to maintain clarity.

Few tricks I've learned along the way, thanks to the members here. This is what I've applied to my headphone preset.

1. Amp Dynamics Tab: Gain Enhancer.
Kind of replicates a speaker in the room effect, (adjust out Compression to taste)
2. Cab: Room/Air
I use the Room Level option to apply a bit of a room reflection, just to create a depth or feel of a room.
For me, it's Room Level 16% - Room Size 10.0m - Room Shape, Hall
3. Enhance
Width 50%
Depth 25%
4: Reverb
Small splash of your taste, I use Gold Plate @ 11% mix
5: Cab Align
I use two cabs and play with the align tool to create a room depth. Using, per se, a SM57 close proximity and a Ribbon further away from the grille to create a depth.

This is my headphone patch, hope it helps and especially look forward to the next tip that adds to my list.

Thise room reverb IRs are wonderful for headphone experience. Just remember to turn them off for other uses.

As a fellow headphones user, what improved my experience the most was using AutoEQ. You input your headphone model, and it will give you 10-band EQ settings (to be applied to Global EQ) based on those headphones that make your output through them more "neutral". Instantly improved my enjoyment playing, creating presets and my mixes overall.

I didn’t know about this AutoEq. The correction curve on that site is similar but not exactly the same as the curve from the Jaakko site that’s maybe more commonly known. So I have both in a GEQ block. I think the AutoEq curve for my phones might be the more accurate of the 2.

I use phones a lot since most of my play time is at night. I prefer speakers but phones get the job done. I’m on the FM3 so I don’t use the Enhance etc. because of cpu. I run stereo and use some reverb and delay. I enjoy it. It took me awhile to get used to it. I use Ultrares always. I can hear the difference. I add some room as well to the cab block.

Playing with a mono dry is terrible in headphones so I always use 2 slightly different amps + cabs hard panned and the enhancer block to get a very wide image. I also always practice with at least a bit of reverb. Using good neutral headphones that has some clarity helps, best I’ve found in the <$1k range are the Ollo S5X.

Some firmwares ago i stopped applying cuts to the cab(s). Just use the options in the amp block and go these days. Worth trying both ways!

I actually never minded a mono sound in headphones... Never owned a real cab before only a few small combos.

I use my Shure SE846 stage in ear monitors and don't have to do anything, but tweak my preset. But a PEQ block helps tweak the tone.

Back
Top Bottom