Axe-Fx III - instrument input not working

I tried another cable as well. These are all separate cables from what I was using live.

This was happening on all the presets I tried, including the stock presets. It's almost like whatever mechanism detects which instrument input is in use is having an issue.
i'd contact support just to be sure. it's hard to tell what's happening just from what has been discussed here.

support.fractalaudio.com

Support had me open it up and reseat ribbon cables, press on DSP board in case it came loose.

The ribbon going to the front instrument and headphone input had an epoxy over it, so I left that alone, reseated the other end to the board.

Tech wasn't expecting the epoxy. Not sure if this is something they started doing to try and minimize this issue in the past.

Anyway, so far I'm not seeing the issue again. We'll see how it does over the next month. I will update the thread in case anyone else runs into this.

I wonder if it would be a good thing to open up and reseat all cables as preventative measure? Nothing worse than rig problems on stage. Well maybe there is...

Sorry to hear about trouble.

But will agree with @unix-guy. Of the 1000's of people that have received units, they never post or even visit this forum. Failures are disproportionately represented (if you look at post count of those with problems...it's usually their first posts.) It tends to make people think 'widespread', when that's not remotely close to the truth.

Sorry to hear about trouble.

But will agree with @unix-guy. Of the 1000's of people that have received units, they never post or even visit this forum. Failures are disproportionately represented (if you look at post count of those with problems...it's usually their first posts.) It tends to make people think 'widespread', when that's not remotely close to the truth.

I appreciate that, but you have to understand, for me, the failure rate is 100%.

I'm not saying this is a bad product, I'm just posting this info here so that if someone runs into the same thing they will have a frame of reference and more easily troubleshoot the issue.

I should also mention that the Axe FX III has been transformative for me. I'm triggering samples per scene, electronic drum kit changes per scene, and eventually some light show elements, in addition to running the vocalist through it with automated vocal effects. I'm definitely all in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom