Axe-Fx III Firmware 5 Beta - Mesa Dual Rectifier Tutorial

I'll check them out when I get home tonight.
I checked it and I found the Legacy Cali IR from those GuitarHack's IR's. It's this one: EDGE -1 I Inch ala Sneap pic

So like I said, that's shot with a tube power amp without removing the power amp color meaning that you get a huge low end boost and a middle scoop and a lot of presence. Essentially if you look at the speaker page on a Mesa amp sim like the IIC++ f.ex.

IKAP8d2.jpg

This part of your signal chain will be in there twice essentially. So you get a lot more of that 110hz low end which you may not hear properly on all sound systems and then you get a huge middle scoop and a lot of presence boost as well. I'm not telling you that you sound wrong or bad, on the contrary this might be able to make some bad amps sound better. But if we're talking about realism I highly advice people never to use IR's that have power color in them.

I checked it and I found the Legacy Cali IR from those GuitarHack's IR's. It's this one: EDGE -1 I Inch ala Sneap pic

So like I said, that's shot with a tube power amp without removing the power amp color meaning that you get a huge low end boost and a middle scoop and a lot of presence. Essentially if you look at the speaker page on a Mesa amp sim like the IIC++ f.ex.

IKAP8d2.jpg

This part of your signal chain will be in there twice essentially. So you get a lot more of that 110hz low end which you may not hear properly on all sound systems and then you get a huge middle scoop and a lot of presence boost as well. I'm not telling you that you sound wrong or bad, on the contrary this might be able to make some bad amps sound better. But if we're talking about realism I highly advice people never to use IR's that have power color in them.

Interesting. Case of the mystery IR solved.

The funny thing is, even though I'm supposed to get a big scoop from the power amp coloration, the RTA doesn't show an abnormal scoop when I play through it.

Last edited:
I'll hunt down that Cali IR because I think I found it once before from the Guitarhacks Mesa Stiletto IR's. If it is one of them then it's shot with a tube power amp and has amp color in it.. meaning that if you use the IR with your Fractal you're getting the power amp modeling twice in your chain. Is your power amp modeling on?

Here's the Guitarhacks pack: http://relivethefuture.com/music/patches/GuitarHacksImpulses.rar

Did you ever end up making your own IRs of the Stiletto 4x12?

That's exactly right. Don't use the EQ for adding, use it to subtract.

In any analog, passive amplifier, all the knobs are reductive. When people say "add mids" what they are really doing is just removing less mids by turning the mid knob up a bit higher. The natural sound of an amplifier is when everything is on full blast (usually 10).

The very first Cab Pack actually. Cab Pack 7 USA Trad, you should have a couple of samples in your Axe-Fx II even that were picked by Cliff. In the Axe-Fx III you even have single mics of it stock.

Just got home and tried it. :eek::smilingimp:USA TRAD 121 IS NOW OFFICIALLY MY FAV IR FOR HI GAIN. Gives me everything I love about the OG Cali IR without the extra basiness and presence.

All credit to you, man. It's funny, before the III, I never thought of the Royer 121 as a guitar cab mic. It's quicky become my favorite for any cab model I pick. :D
The Royer actually has a HUGE low end to it and I rarely use it on its own but there are some cabs that just sound magical with it straight out the box. :)

I watched the dual recto video and tried dumping the presence level. Yeah it kinda really works.
Doing drastic presence cuts with a lot of amps seem to really help in general.
I can barely bring myself to turn the treble and presence below 5. For some reason it feel soooooo wrong but it really does stop the higher strings from sounding so harsh.

Time to grow a moustache.

Back
Top Bottom