Axe FX III EMI issues? Thinking about upgrading from the II.

I have my III in a place that feels like a constant magnetic storm on the surface of the sun. Terrible EMI issues that I can't fix. My III has no problems at all. The guitars on the other hand...
Question, did you use an Axe 2 or other amp modeler in this same place and have the ability to compare that to the Axe 3 and see how the two handle EMI issues?

Re-upping the thread to see if anyone else has any experiences to share!
I actually bit the bullet on the Greenwave filters I referenced earlier. I can tell you there is a noticeable difference in the noise level once implemented. Furthermore, the meter helps me identify which positions are best, which outlets are the cleanest, and which items give off the most EMI. It should be noted they filter out high frequency EMI. The EMI in my room is generally around 4k, so they are working well for my use case.

Do you constantly have a laptop or something connected via USB? If it's a grounding issue Cliff mentioned using a USB Isolator in another thread...

I actually bit the bullet on the Greenwave filters I referenced earlier. I can tell you there is a noticeable difference in the noise level once implemented. Furthermore, the meter helps me identify which positions are best, which outlets are the cleanest, and which items give off the most EMI. It should be noted they filter out high frequency EMI. The EMI in my room is generally around 4k, so they are working well for my use case.
Which exact greenwave filters did you get and would recommend?

With axe fx 3 mk 2 standard connected via USB to my PC I have some weird "digital" noise around 10 kHz when using axe edit. It's especially noticeable with high gain tones. However I don't think it's an axe issue since it's going on only with guitars connected to unit and depends on my position in the room. But I also have setted axe fx 2 mk 1 and axe fx standard in same place as my axe fx 3 and have no issues at all. With plugins (scarlett 6i6 placed on the top of the rack with axe fx) - no noise.
I tried USB isolator but with no luck.

If I remember correct with my previous PC I didn't notice that. Also with my laptops.

On the other hand it's not a big deal since I can do tracking without axe edit or if I'm using laptop.

Have no problems with noise in this setup when reamping through tube amp using axe fx as USB interface (very pleasant workflow without any ground loops).

really want to fool-proof my setup against any odd EMI issues. Curious to hear your thoughts
There are many EMI-related threads on the forum, you might want to check them via search function.
Two things are often mentioned: dim lights as a source of EMI, and PC cases with open/transparent sides or vent holes which pass through the EMI.
No device can help but you should be able to fix these if they are what causes EMI in your studio.

I used to struggle with it a bit, but the recent noise gate improvements are real game changers. I can gate as aggressively as I want without the annoying chirp I used to get.

Hi fractal friends :)

I'm curious to hear from Axe-III users on how this unit handles EMI issues. Do you know personally whether the III significantly reduces EMI as opposed to the II? I'm currently dealing with a pretty bad EMI issue on my II XL and am crashing on solutions to this. In one of the Axe III's updates, they added an "Improved noise gate in the Input block, now also includes EMI filtering" so I'm curious to hear how well it deals with EMI problems. This is an expensive fix to my problem, but its one I'm willing to make considering that it would be nice to have a continually updated/supported piece of equipment.

I really want to fool-proof my setup against any odd EMI issues. Curious to hear your thoughts!
Only problem with EMI I’ve had is from my patch bay which I have not been able to solve.

I have my III in a place that feels like a constant magnetic storm on the surface of the sun. Terrible EMI issues that I can't fix. My III has no problems at all. The guitars on the other hand...
Just to follow up on this post, I've had crazy EMI issues where I play which is my basement office. I have tried every possible thing I could think of but nothing helped. I tried everything and could not track down where the interference was coming from including RF meters. I also shielded every cavity of my single coil guitars. Shielding did absolutely nothing and my single coils were close to unplayable. I was literally about to get rid of my single coils and move to all noiseless and forget about that full bell like tone I love.

Turns out that the gas company came today and removed the gas meter that was right next to the room I play in. What do yo know? 0 interference issues - even with my 50's wired single coils. I am absolutely blown away. (I almost want to sue the electric company for all the problems and headache they caused me for their terrible equipment!)

Just to follow up on this post, I've had crazy EMI issues where I play which is my basement office. I have tried every possible thing I could think of but nothing helped. I tried everything and could not track down where the interference was coming from including RF meters. I also shielded every cavity of my single coil guitars. Shielding did absolutely nothing and my single coils were close to unplayable. I was literally about to get rid of my single coils and move to all noiseless and forget about that full bell like tone I love.

Turns out that the gas company came today and removed the gas meter that was right next to the room I play in. What do yo know? 0 interference issues - even with my 50's wired single coils. I am absolutely blown away. (I almost want to sue the electric company for all the problems and headache they caused me for their terrible equipment!)
Awesome that this has been resolved and a great bit of info for others with similar issues!

Used to play in a cafe that had really old ceiling fans that played havoc. I changed to Fender Noiseless pickups in my strat and that solved the problem. Was not using AxeFx then, but just sayin' more than one way to address the issue.

Yeah I've shielded the guitars pretty well tbh. Where I currently live, there is an insane amount of dirty power it seems so I get awful EMI noise, EVEN WITH a rocktron hush pedal... its a nightmare.
Do you have some recommendations for me what do do? In Gibsons SG I just see a grey paint under the electronics, in past there was a metal sheet. Is it that or did you optimized your cable positions?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom