Axe Fx III Cab Blocks thru real cab?

Hypieran

Anyone ever use cab blocks even using a power amp and real cab setup? I just started messing with it today I'm 4cm Mark V 35 into v30 cab. It's not bad the cab blocks on with Ownhammer IRs.

Yeah it is darker, but with a little eq action little low cut etc I think if I tinker itd rock. I love the Ownhammer IRs they are nice. I have California Duo and it's weird considering I have v30 speakers. I like the darkness I think. Only thing I wanna do is get it less muffled. That's my only issue currently almost sounds distant.

Yeah it is darker, but with a little eq action little low cut etc I think if I tinker itd rock. I love the Ownhammer IRs they are nice. I have California Duo and it's weird considering I have v30 speakers. I like the darkness I think. Only thing I wanna do is get it less muffled. That's my only issue currently almost sounds distant.
Try turning on the 50us preamp type in the cab block, and bumping up the mid parameter on the preamp page....very powerful!

I used to run the cab sims on when I had the Ultra going thru my guitar cab and SS power amp, because it sounded better IMO. But with the Axe II it didn’t cut it for me. Either case I made both work and sound sound really good. With the Axe III I run it thru Atomic CLRs with 3rd party IR’s and now I have the best tones I’ve ever had. With a guitar cab and power amp you need to tweak the amp sims and grab the most compatible IR’s for your setup, as the IR is coloring your tone and the guitar cab colors it again, giving that similar speaker tone in all your presets.

The times I did it was by accident, and the tone sounded like it had a blanket over it. I have a Mesa cab and probably had a very similar IR going into it. It’s just an EQ curve so I’m sure that isn’t always the case (sounding dark). If you find one that works and you like it, I don’t see a problem.

Only thing I wanna do is get it less muffled. That's my only issue currently
This is what happens in my experience trying it - the traditional guitar speaker can't reproduce what the IR is trying to deliver, so result = muffled. Mic'd cab model into cab makes little sense as a way to methodically "model" a target sound, but could it happen to produce a sound I like? - sure, I'm confident I could get lucky if I threw the dice enough times.

Last edited:
There is no right or wrong. As long as the Fractal is getting the right power supply, in the end if you like the sound, it's right. There are suggested ways to get you to an end game, but turning methodology on its ear and experimenting is never a bad thing. Add, delete, route in weird ways and do whatever inspires you and sounds good. Add 8 IRs and run it WDW through 3 - 4x12 cabs if you want. It's not wrong if it sounds good.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Been flirting with getting a QSC K10.2 or a Gemini 2 2x12 but I do love the Mark V with the Axe so it's a dilemma. I'm pretty in love with Boogie tone so not sure I need FRFR. Again thank you all for your input, much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Been flirting with getting a QSC K10.2 or a Gemini 2 2x12 but I do love the Mark V with the Axe so it's a dilemma. I'm pretty in love with Boogie tone so not sure I need FRFR. Again thank you all for your input, much appreciated.
What are your goals? Do you gig?

I use cab sims on with a matrix into a yamaha 12" passive wedge, sounds good and I've not even tweaked it. That was for rehearsal, live I bypass the cab block and use a bogner oversized with v30s. It sounds pretty close with the sims on or off, so again , tailored IRs and some adjustments I bet it would be pleasing either way. I wouldn't understand using IRs with a real cab tho unless I didn't necessarily care for the cab sound and that's not the case

What are your goals? Do you gig?
Play with friends on weekend we just get together and play some stuff some songs we like. Also some other stuff we wrote nothing regular show wise. I do a lot of jamming home recording. I considered just grabbing studio monitors for home, but I'd rather have basically one rig for home and out.

Play with friends on weekend we just get together and play some stuff some songs we like. Also some other stuff we wrote nothing regular show wise. I do a lot of jamming home recording. I considered just grabbing studio monitors for home, but I'd rather have basically one rig for home and out.
The home recording part dictates you need a decent set of monitors anyway if you want to produce anything above good demo quality (yes, you can get pro results on cans, too but still). How are you on weight? Do you mind grabbing a separate power amp and speaker cab? Personally, I want to grab and go. I've tailored my sounds to enable me to grab a FRFR speaker and to me it always sounds great.

The home recording part dictates you need a decent set of monitors anyway if you want to produce anything above good demo quality (yes, you can get pro results on cans, too but still). How are you on weight? Do you mind grabbing a separate power amp and speaker cab? Personally, I want to grab and go. I've tailored my sounds to enable me to grab a FRFR speaker and to me it always
Might just grab Gemini 2 2x12 its $2200 but it would enable me to play at home and out. Also I use mainly my $300 studio monitor headphones directly into axe when I'm recording. I do think I might get some HS8 monitors. Always wanted them heard they are great.

I’m putting my CLR up for sale I like the sound of my Axe3/FM3 through a tube combo amp so much, and yes, I use the amp modeling and cab modeling both turned on. Makes my 1x12 open back sound like a 4x12 but with the in the room sound of the open back cab and directionality of a guitar speaker. Perfect marriage between the two.

Mind you, not every guitar amp sounds good, my Vibro Champ and Supro both sound like garbage playing the Axe into them, but my Tone King with Celestion Cream Alnico 90 watt speaker sounds perfect

Back
Top Bottom