Axe-Fx III and Mac mini M1 - Reaper and Garage Band don't receive audio from Axe-Fx III

Just got a Mac Mini with M1 chip and Reaper isn't recognising any signal from either of my interfaces (RME & Axe III). I tried the RME into Garage Band and managed to get it to record, but no luck with the Axe FX (using USB - not tried anything else). Was working with my PC and Reaper last week. Has anyone got any insight into this or how to deal with it? Ideally I want an aggregate device of the two, but that seems pointless until I can get them to record individually.

Update, I've been able to record signal from the RME and Axe FX III in Garage Band, both as single units and as part of the aggregate device...so this is definitely a Reaper issue.

Last edited:
Update: I downloaded the intel version of Reaper and it works okay and I get signal now!
Yeah maybe time before there is a universal or native M1 version of Reaper.
I know Microsoft has updated Office beta ring to a universal app and it no longer requires Rosetta 2 to run. And it is way faster now as well.
So hopefully this is the path Reaper follows.

I've just downloaded the "M1" version of Reaper for MacBook Pro M1 Big Sur... I'm getting the same issue as OP.

I've just downloaded the "M1" version of Reaper for MacBook Pro M1 Big Sur... I'm getting the same issue as OP.
Probably best to install the Intel version for now as the M1 version doesn't prompt you to permit microphone access, the Intel one does upon first start up. Incidentally, I've decided to give the Logic free trial a go and it's by far my user friendly than Reaper is, IMO. I may switch permanently!

Probably best to install the Intel version for now as the M1 version doesn't prompt you to permit microphone access, the Intel one does upon first start up. Incidentally, I've decided to give the Logic free trial a go and it's by far my user friendly than Reaper is, IMO. I may switch permanently!
how do you get the free trial?

think I've found a way to "wake up Reaper". If you select "allow use of different input and output devices (legacy option, not recommended)" it begins to work, however if you unselect and apply, it continues to receive audio from the AxeFXIII

I’ve had my M1 MacMini for a couple weeks now and I was initially concerned whether Logic would really play nice with the new chip, or if I’d need to slide back over to Logic on my i7 MacMini for a while. I’ve been w Logic for 10+ years and am stoked it is as amazingly stable on the new architecture as it is. Hope you continue to have success with your choice of recording software. Lee

how do you get the free trial?
I think there's an option next to the buy now button on the apple website - logic x page.
I’ve had my M1 MacMini for a couple weeks now and I was initially concerned whether Logic would really play nice with the new chip, or if I’d need to slide back over to Logic on my i7 MacMini for a while. I’ve been w Logic for 10+ years and am stoked it is as amazingly stable on the new architecture as it is. Hope you continue to have success with your choice of recording software. Lee
I agree with this, it's working brilliantly for me so far. I think I'm definitely going to make the switch after my trial...gives me three months to save as it's such a long trial period! Bonus!

Back
Top Bottom