Axe FX II XL with Logic 9

kmachman

Inspired
I have my Axe's output 1's going to a mixer to a PA, outputs also going to my RME UFX and also have it plugged in USB to my Mac. The Mac communicates great with the Axe, until I try to open Logic.

The moment I boot up Logic the Axe goes dead quiet. Teh lights on the front are still showing a signal, but nothing comes out. Even in the PA hooked up direct.

I have tried to choose the Axe for the input in Logic and still nothing happens even when i arm the track. I also try to choose my RME as an input and output in Logic, but still no sound coming from the Axe.

Even after I close down Logic, I have no sound coming from the Axe in my PA. I have to turn the power off on the Axe and back on, then it somehow resets itself and gives me sound again from my PA and RME.

Does anyone have any ideas WTF is going on and what i am missing?

I am running OSX 10.9.6 and all the most current drivers are installed for the Axe.

Sounds like your output volume is getting set to zero if the input meters are still lighting up.

Is it possible your Logic project is sending a MIDI CC change when opened? Output 1 is CC #11 by default.

What do your output meters (Utility > Status) look like before/after launching Logic?

Did you make sure that your audio setting for logic is 48 not 44.1?

Yes i tried that as well... but even when i turn off Logic, i still get no sound coming from the AXE into my PA. Why would that turn off?
I have to reboot the axe to make it work again

Are you using the TotalMix software that comes with the FireFace. I have a UC and it works great with Logic. You need to make sure that the TotalMix software is routing the signals to the computer. TotalMix is amazing software. Gives you a lot of flexibility. You can have presets with different in/out combinations.

Are you using the TotalMix software that comes with the FireFace. I have a UC and it works great with Logic. You need to make sure that the TotalMix software is routing the signals to the computer. TotalMix is amazing software. Gives you a lot of flexibility. You can have presets with different in/out combinations.

I tried, but the moment Logic boots up, my axe shuts off all sound (even though the lights on the front panel are blinking). I try to choose the UFX in the logic prefs and still nothing... Like i say, even after i shut down logic, the axe still does not give me sound even though it is also hooked up direct to the PA system. I have to reboot the axe then it gives me sound.

Is Logic somehow sending a midi message to the axe? I dont know. It is very frustrating. I guess i will just have to try unplugging the USB all together. Just thought it would be handy to use the Axe as its own interface.

Could you perhaps share the Logic project and/or Axe Patch? Is this happening regardless of the Axe patch or only for a particular one?

Check in I/O to see what output your USB is set to. Most set it to Output 1. If its set to Output 2 and you dont have an FX loop block anywhere or Copy Out1 to Out2 on, you won't get sound.

Could you perhaps share the Logic project and/or Axe Patch? Is this happening regardless of the Axe patch or only for a particular one?

It is just a blank project started from scratch. Makes no difference what patch i am on with the Axe.

It is just a blank project started from scratch. Makes no difference what patch i am on with the Axe.

What I've learned experimenting a bit is that if the Axe receives a MIDI CC to set the output volumes, the Axe will be muted no matter what you do. Loading another patch, changing the front-panel Output 1 or Output 2 knobs all have no effect.

So, I'm still thinking that Logic is setting a MIDI CC to 0 and muting the output:

Can you confirm what your Output 1 and Ouptut 2 controller numbers are in I/O > CTRL? The defaults are:

Input (#10 by default)
Output 1 (CC #11 by default)
Output 2 (CC #12 by default)

So, how to test this theory... If you have an expression pedal connected, you could try setting it to Output 1 moving it to see if you get the volume back. If not, you could create a volume fader in Logic and see if that restores volume:

I'm running Logic Pro X so I can't send you a project, but you could create a simple MIDI Environment to test this theory out. In Logic:

Window > Open MIDI Environment
New > MIDI Instrument
- defaults to MIDI Channel 1, change this if the Axe is on a different channel (#1 is the default for the Axe)
New > Fader > Vertical 1
- In the inspector, set the fader to send CC #11 (it will be labeled "Expression") or whatever your Output 1 is set to in I/O > CTRL
- drag a line from the upper-right of the fader (a little plug icon) to the MIDI Instrument created above
Move the fader up / down / and then back up to non-zero

If I do this and move the fader to 0, I cannot get output from my Axe until I reboot it. Changing patches, moving the Output 1/2 knobs does nothing.

fader2.jpg

Last edited:
What I've learned experimenting a bit is that if the Axe receives a MIDI CC to set the output volumes, the Axe will be muted no matter what you do. Loading another patch, changing the front-panel Output 1 or Output 2 knobs all have no effect.

So, I'm still thinking that Logic is setting a MIDI CC to 0 and muting the output:

Can you confirm what your Output 1 and Ouptut 2 controller numbers are in I/O > CTRL? The defaults are:

Input (#10 by default)

So, how to test this theory... If you have an expression pedal connected, you could try setting it to Output 1 moving it to see if you get the volume back. If not, you could create a volume fader in Logic and see if that restores volume:

I'm running Logic Pro X so I can't send you a project, but you could create a simple MIDI Environment to test this theory out. In Logic:

New > MIDI Instrument
- defaults to MIDI Channel 1, change this if the Axe is on a different channel (#1 is the default for the Axe)
New > Fader > Vertical 1
- In the inspector, set the fader to send CC #11 (it will be labeled "Expression") or whatever your Output 1 is set to in I/O > CTRL
- drag a line from the upper-right of the fader (a little plug icon) to the MIDI Instrument created above

If I do this and move the fader to 0, I cannot get output from my Axe until I reboot it. Changing patches, moving the Output 1/2 knobs does nothing.

View attachment 23204

Thanks! I will try this tonight when i get home... Been away all week... This sounds like the issue for sure...

Input (#10 by default)

New > MIDI Instrument
New > Fader > Vertical 1

View attachment 23204

Well I have finally had some time to “waste" today… and thats exactly what it has been so far…

I tried everything you said and created that midi fader for the expression volume… It looks exactly like what you pictured… Moving that fader did nothing in the way of restoring my output volume.

Logic still turns down the output volume to zero in the AXE FX…

This is very frustrating, as i would like to use the reamp feature as well… but Logic keeps turning the output volume right off, and i am having to reboot the AXE every time… Gonna wear out that switch…

This is a detailed description of what i have set up…

Axe FX is plugged via USB to iMac running Mavericks and Logic 9.1.8. All USB drivers for Axe are current and reinstalled.
Axe is also running out to a PA system using XLR cables from the the balanced outputs of output 1. Also i have running out of the unbalanced output 1 using 1/4” cables to my RME UFX.
Logic is set up so that input and output are AXE FX II. (although i have tried even just using UFX as both input and output as well, with still the same problem; having the Axe FX’s volume turn right off after it boots.)

It just makes no sense and is very frustrating that this will not work. Somehow, someway Logic is sending a signal to cut the output volume in the Axe.

Does anyone else have any other ideas on what to try? Or maybe a similar experience?

Do you think Fractal support would even look at this?

This is a Logic issue as GarageBand works well….

Last edited:
I'm not having any troubles as I just purchased a XL and am running on my iMac with Logic X. I go from output 1/4 on the Axe L&R to both inputs on my interface 2i2 Scarlett, then the interface is connected to my Presonus monitors. Axe is also connected via usb for Axe Edit.

I just scanned over this so maybe I missed something.
also, I'm not familiar with the RME UFX

It seems to me that it should be set up so that Logic sees only the RME UFX as the I/O device (via USB). Connect Axe OUT1 TRS to balanced inputs on the RME. Try using RME headphone jack to feed a mixer/PA line input. Do the appropriate setup in Logic preferences.

Back
Top Bottom