Axe FX II XL+ cutting out

SHIFT838

Has anyone experienced the AXE cutting out when recording.

I have my setup as:

Axe FX II XL+
MFC101
Line6 G50 wireless
Roket 8's hooked up via XLR

The Axe is hooked up via USB to the PC.

Every now and then it seems to cut out if I am recording just for microsecond or so and then it's back.

my PC is an I7 3.8ghz system with 16gb ram running Windows 10 64bit. I use Reaper for recording.

I have removed the wireless and gone straight cable to make sure it was not the wireless and it had the same effect.

I must say, in all my years of support, I've never (that I can remember) experienced "cutting out" that was caused by an Axe-Fx and not the computer or something else in the rig.

Start to isolate things... You removed the wireless. Try removing the MFC.
Also, can you confirm that you have Reaper set up correctly to use the 48Khz clock of the Axe-Fx?

I've also noticed dropouts, while reamping with AXE XL+ connected via USB with laptop (similiar configuration and software: Win 8.1/10/10 au 64 bit and several latest versions of Reaper with ASIO and project preferences set up to 48kHz) and "message timeout" errors from the Fractal-Bot while backup. I've changed USB buffer size from 64 to 128KB and problem seemed to be solved (for now).

Try a different USB port and/or cable. If you have soundcard, try running a 1/4" from the Axe to the soundcard directly and bypass USB altogether.

i have moved my input to the back of the unit and noticed reaper was set to 44100 so i have changed it to 48000 and will test. I have also changed channels on my G50. I don't think it's a channel issue because if I import a media file to play and when it does cut out, the guitar and the media file playing cuts out.

I may switch USB cables and see if that has an affect on it. I am also thinking of purchasing a FocusRite Saffire Pro 40 unit to port the signal through for recording via firewire. I have heard from a few Fractal Axe users that they have seen issues with the USB itself doing this very thing but since they have gone to the FocusRite they have no issues.

Any opinions about that?

i have moved my input to the back of the unit and noticed reaper was set to 44100 so i have changed it to 48000 and will test. I have also changed channels on my G50. I don't think it's a channel issue because if I import a media file to play and when it does cut out, the guitar and the media file playing cuts out.

I may switch USB cables and see if that has an affect on it. I am also thinking of purchasing a FocusRite Saffire Pro 40 unit to port the signal through for recording via firewire. I have heard from a few Fractal Axe users that they have seen issues with the USB itself doing this very thing but since they have gone to the FocusRite they have no issues.

Any opinions about that?

I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 (Firewire) and I don't have any issues using it in conjunction with the Axe, but I also don't have any problems using the Axe as a soundcard via USB, either. That's why I suggested trying a different USB cable or another USB port. USB can be really flaky at times, and I still have occasions where I have to switch USB ports because my mouse or keyboard stops working intermittently.

I get message time outs because my USB cable is really long. I also get a lot iof lag between switching presets in axe edit

A shorter cable solves all these problems for me.

I get message time outs because my USB cable is really long. I also get a lot iof lag between switching presets in axe edit

A shorter cable solves all these problems for me.

I use a 25 ft. USB cable without incident, but the quality of cable might be the common denominator.

I use a 25 ft. USB cable without incident, but the quality of cable might be the common denominator.

Any particular USB cable you would recommend for quality? I have the rack on one side of the room and the computer on the other so I would be using a 25 foot cable.

I had one these like the picture laying around new so that's what I used.

Attachments

• usbcable.GIF
    usbcable.GIF
    69.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Any particular USB cable you would recommend for quality? I have the rack on one side of the room and the computer on the other so I would be using a 25 foot cable.

I had one these like the picture laying around new so that's what I used.

I bought two from Monoprice, though it appears they no longer carry the 25 ft. variant. However, they offer 16 ft. and 32 ft. (and longer) lengths, though the 32 ft. is currently out of stock.

Mine used to do this. Turned out to be my laptop and I never figured out why or how to fix it. I even sent it back for a new motherboard (I think? It was a major part) and it worked for a bit but started again.
Bought a new laptop in the end and never experienced it again.

Back
Top Bottom