Axe Fx II with Poweramp-Speaker Cabinet and Cab Sims On ?

Rain

Fractal Fanatic
Hi everyone, is anyone using the Axe FX II with a Poweramp Thru Speaker Cabinet and The Cab Sims On ? I just want to see if anyone is using it this way and what the pros and cons are. I use this set-up with the Cab Sims off with my band, we have a very loud stage volume and would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks,

Rock It !!!!!!!

I'm using a combo amp in 4CM, the cab is a 1x12 open back with an EVM12L in it. I find that for some patches, I like having cab sims on. I've read here that the EVM12L has a fairly flat response for a guitar speaker, so that might be why I like cab sims on sometimes. I'm sure it depends largely on the cabinet you're using. I view the cab sims as just one additional possibility for tone shaping; I don't worry that it might be "wrong" to use a cab sim into a real cab. On the con side, of course, since I'm not using FRFR, I guess I'm not hearing the AxeII as the designers intended, unless I happen to be using a preamp sim that's matched to an EVM12L cab and I have cab sims off.

I don't have a II yet, but there's been multitudes of discussions on this from the gen 1 days. There's always some guys who say they prefer cab IRs even when using a real guitar cab. The first question I'd ask them is what volume they are playing? To me it would often sound OK while fiddling around at bedroom volume but as soon as you crank up to gig levels, IR on top of a real cab just sounds weird and wrong. As you'd expect. IMO.

I play without them on. As has been mentioned I notice that it just sounds weird as hell when they're on and played at band volumes which is the only volume i play when playing through my RT 2 50 and cabinet.

I use them on probably 1/3 of the time when I'm running into a 'normal guitar amp/cab' of some kind.
I usually have things set up with the Axe in 4 cable mode into a Badger 30 into a 2x12 with greenbacks. At the same time I have the XLR's output to a mixer that feeds my FRFR. I keep the FRFR off when the Badger is the "amp". Using a footswitch dedicated to turning cab blocks on or off.

This way I can have 3 different rigs at the tap of a switch or two:
1) use the Axe for just effects with the Badger, no amp or cab blocks
2) use the badger and 2x12 as the power amp and cab for an Axe preset that includes an amp block, sometimes includes the cab block turned on
3) use just the Axe with amp and cab blocks through the FRFR

Last edited:
Thanks, anyone else...??

Me. I play with cab sims on in nearly every patch. However, my power amp/guitar cab
setup is about as close to FRFR as it can get. Matrix GT800 solid state power amp, thru
2x12 open back pine cabs loaded with EVM 12L Classics. I also use 3rd party cab/speaker
IR's by Redwirez and Ownhammer taken with the "null mic" Earthworks TC30 (so flat, you hear
no mic coloration at all). I find this gives me sterling results at volume, in a live setting.

Thanks, anyone else...??

I ran my Ultra with no power amp or cab block. Tried it but found that it just didn't cut through enough and when you did crank it, it did get a little weird sounding,(over processed/emphasis on some frequencies and lack of emphasis on other). Just didn't sound like a live rig to me. Haven't had the time to mess around with a live setup on the II as of yet.

Using Randall RT2/50 and Genz Benz G-flex 2x12(stereo w/ vintage Celestion G12-65's) or 2 Marshall 1960b's (w/vintage G12-65's).

Peace,

Back
Top Bottom