AXE FX II with Focusrite Saffire 40 Pro

SHIFT838

I have come into possession of a Focusrite Saffire 40 Pro and I have heard it can really help dial in recording settings when used with guitar processors.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit and getting it hooked up with the Axe FX II XL+ ?

If so, what's the best way to get it all wired up and how?

I use SPDIF with my Focusrite. So it doesn't get in the way and color the wonderful sound of my Axe-FX with its meh preamps. :)

I could use an SPDIF cable to the focusrite then of course a firewire to the PC for all the recording correct? The SPDIF you are mentioning is just the SPDIF RCA type data cable?

I have a pair of Roket 8's i hook up via XLR to the Axe already. Once I have that hooked up i should just be able to select the focusrite in reaper for the recording input and thats it then?

Yes, that sounds right. That's the exact setup I use as well.

A bit of off topic, but somewhat related question:
My SPDIF signal from Axe->Sapphire is too "hot" - it is resulting in digital clipping. I don't think reducing the gain slider on the SPDIF channels on the Sapphire (via the PC mixer interface) actually helps with the clipping. I say this because I still see the signal strength shooting well above 0dB in the Sapphire. Going through the Axe FX settings, I don't see a way to reduce the signal strength coming out of the Axe (there is a way to increase the signal, though).

Anyone have suggestions on this issue?

I reduce my output signal from the Axe using 'Axe-Edit'

The preset that I am using if it's clipping I can click on the 'Output' on the axe-edit (far right of your effects) and change the output level.

Have you tried that?

I could use an SPDIF cable to the focusrite then of course a firewire to the PC for all the recording correct?
FireWire or Thunderbolt to the PC from the Focusrite is what you want.

I have a pair of Roket 8's i hook up via XLR to the Axe already. Once I have that hooked up i should just be able to select the focusrite in reaper for the recording input and thats it then?
So here's how I do it:

Focusrite -> iMac via FireWire
Focusrite main TRS outputs -> Tannoy nearfield monitors
Axe-Fx II -> iMac via USB
Axe-Fx II SPDIF out -> Focusrite SPDIF in

So the Focusrite for me is basically a mixer. It mixes audio from my PC with audio from my Axe-Fx II and sends it to my monitors or headphones. If I'm recording in Logic or GarageBand my interface is actually set to the Axe-Fx II. The Focusrite is necessarily set to run at 48 kHz. On the exceptionally rare occasionally I need to use a mic to record, I'll switch the project to the Focusrite, record, switch back to the Axe-Fx II. I do all of this on an incredibly old and slow iMac. Works very well for me.

FireWire or Thunderbolt to the PC from the Focusrite is what you want.

So here's how I do it:

Focusrite -> iMac via FireWire
Focusrite main TRS outputs -> Tannoy nearfield monitors
Axe-Fx II -> iMac via USB
Axe-Fx II SPDIF out -> Focusrite SPDIF in

So the Focusrite for me is basically a mixer. It mixes audio from my PC with audio from my Axe-Fx II and sends it to my monitors or headphones. If I'm recording in Logic or GarageBand my interface is actually set to the Axe-Fx II. The Focusrite is necessarily set to run at 48 kHz. On the exceptionally rare occasionally I need to use a mic to record, I'll switch the project to the Focusrite, record, switch back to the Axe-Fx II. I do all of this on an incredibly old and slow iMac. Works very well for me.

Do you use firewire 400 or 800? Is there any latency when it comes back through your monitors when your recording?

Do you use firewire 400 or 800? Is there any latency when it comes back through your monitors when your recording?
No latency. I don't monitor through the DAW. The signal doesn't make a trip in to the computer and then back out. Firewire 400.

No latency. I don't monitor through the DAW. The signal doesn't make a trip in to the computer and then back out. Firewire 400.

I think the Saffire comes with a Firewire 400 9pin to 6pin cable. which actually connects to a firewire 800 port on the PC. I will either have to buy a different cable for a 6pin to 6pin or a new adapter card.

I think the Saffire comes with a Firewire 400 9pin to 6pin cable. which actually connects to a firewire 800 port on the PC. I will either have to buy a different cable for a 6pin to 6pin or a new adapter card.
Use whatever ports you have available. It'll be fine. There's no appreciable difference between 400 and 800 for the purposes of recording audio.

SPDIF in/out to Saffire, FireWire to thunderbolt adaptor to MBP.
Word clock set to Auto on XL, sync set to spdif and 48 on Saffire. That's how I use mine!

Reactions: NMG
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I was told by Focusrite to just hook it up via Analog this way:

Axe FX II XLR Outputs --> Saffire XLR Inputs (I chose #3 and #4 on back of the unit)
Focusrite Outps 1 / 2 --> Rokit Monitors
Focusrite Firewire to Windows PC firewire (plugged in when both saffire and PC were powered off of course)

Installed the drivers and Saffire Mix Control program.

I set the Analog 3 & 4 to the mixer outputs

My PC default audio is now set to Saffire Speakers

But I hear nothing from the KRKs or via the headphone jack from the saffire pro 40.

I have even gone into Reaper and made sure the Saffire inputs and outputs are set correctly.

I do see the levels increase when I strum my guitar on both the AXE and the Saffire as well as the Mix Control. So i know i'm getting a signal, just no output.

What am I missing?

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I was told by Focusrite to just hook it up via Analog this way:

Axe FX II XLR Outputs --> Saffire XLR Inputs (I chose #3 and #4 on back of the unit)
Focusrite Outps 1 / 2 --> Rokit Monitors
Focusrite Firewire to Windows PC firewire (plugged in when both saffire and PC were powered off of course)

Installed the drivers and Saffire Mix Control program.

I set the Analog 3 & 4 to the mixer outputs

My PC default audio is now set to Saffire Speakers

But I hear nothing from the KRKs or via the headphone jack from the saffire pro 40.

I have even gone into Reaper and made sure the Saffire inputs and outputs are set correctly.

I do see the levels increase when I strum my guitar on both the AXE and the Saffire as well as the Mix Control. So i know i'm getting a signal, just no output.

What am I missing?

In Mix Control, I have Monitor Output 1 set to Mix 1 (L) and Monitor Output 2 set to Mix 1 (R).

I also have Line Output 3 set to Mix 1 (L) and Line Output 4 set to Mix 1 (R).

Also, make sure you don't have Anlg In 3 and Anlg In 4 muted.

I'm running a Saffire PRO 14 and this is how I configured the Mix Control:

Mix Control.jpg

i have been able to finally get some sound and get the headphones working. It's gotta be a configuration issue.

I am still trying having issues playing my guitar and hearing it live. I can record via reaper, and then playback and I hear it through the monitors. But when i am doing the actual recording I do not hear anything besides the backing track that is imported into Reaper, so I do not hear my guitar.

I can change routing preset output to DAW 1 and 2 and hear the guitar play, but then not the backing track within reaper. is there a way to get the routing set to utilize both DAW1/2 as well as the Analog1/2 at the same time so i can hear what I recording along with in real time?

I am obviously missing something.

See attached image.

mixer1.JPG

i have been able to finally get some sound and get the headphones working. It's gotta be a configuration issue.

I am still trying having issues playing my guitar and hearing it live. I can record via reaper, and then playback and I hear it through the monitors. But when i am doing the actual recording I do not hear anything besides the backing track that is imported into Reaper, so I do not hear my guitar.

I can change routing preset output to DAW 1 and 2 and hear the guitar play, but then not the backing track within reaper. is there a way to get the routing set to utilize both DAW1/2 as well as the Analog1/2 at the same time so i can hear what I recording along with in real time?

I am obviously missing something.

See attached image.

View attachment 36071

You have Monitor Output 1 & 2 set to DAW 1 & 2.

Try setting Monitor Output 1 to Mix 1 (L) and Monitor Output 2 to Mix 1 (R).

You also have Line Output 3 and 4 set to Off.

Try setting Line Output 3 to Mix 1 (L) and Line Output 4 to Mix 1 (R).

I've included some other suggestions below.

Enable stereo and select Mix 1 outputs:

1.jpg

1-1.jpg

Set Mix 1 volume:

2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Scarlett 18i - and the "mix control" software is possibly the worst program ever. I was where you are a few years ago. NOT user friendly, and really hard to find what your settings are supposed to be. Jason has some good solutions for you above. I REALLY wish they would update this software.....

I have saffire pro 40 as well. I had a heck of a time getting spdif to work. Opted to use USB from the Axe and use Saffire for mixing/monitoring. I had to create an aggregate device with my mac to get it all to work.

Back
Top Bottom