Axe fx II with ENGL Gigmaster 30

Skyadron

Inspired
Hello everyone!

A friend of mine came over to record one of his songs last weekend and we decided to try something different this time.
It doens't make much sense, I guess (lol). But we connected my ENGL gigmaster head to the Axe Fx's FX Loop (FX send > amp input > Amp's Fx send > Axe's FX Return, that way I get a clean signal from the pre amp section of the head), so I could use the Axe Fx's noise gate, and put an EQ before the amplifier to filter the low end a little bit before it could get to the amp, then I added a cab after the FX Loop and it sounded like this:
I guess I'll do that more often, as I'm really happy with the results :lol.

Sounds killer man. I've used my two Engl Gigmasters in modified 4CM before and have gotten amazing results. Axe Fx => Engl effects return => traditional cabs.

I guess I don't understand how you're running it though. If you're running the EGLE's clean tone back into Axe Fx, I'm not sure what you're gaining, other than some tube preamp warmth to your signal. I assume you're running direct into your recording interface, and not through a traditional cab? BTW, are you running the Engl's powersoak in "speaker off" mode?

Thanks for sharing! :)

Sounds killer man. I've used my two Engl Gigmasters in modified 4CM before and have gotten amazing results. Axe Fx => Engl effects return => traditional cabs.

I guess I don't understand how you're running it though. If you're running the EGLE's clean tone back into Axe Fx, I'm not sure what you're gaining, other than some tube preamp warmth to your signal. I assume you're running direct into your recording interface, and not through a traditional cab? BTW, are you running the Engl's powersoak in "speaker off" mode?

Thanks for sharing! :)

Actually, it's not the clean sound! The distortion is coming from the gigmaster. The signal that comes from the ENGL's FX send is after the preamp, so it's after the input gain, distortion and EQ, but before the power amp, so I'm actually not getting the EL84 tubes to color the tone. After that, instead of using an amp block, I put the FX Loop, so the signal chain in the axe fx was like
Input > EQ > FX Loop > Cabsim > Output

And the gigmaster 30 doesn't have a speaker off mode, so I just turned it on and kept it on standby (in standby the pre amp still works, but not the power amp, so there was no sound coming from the cabinet even though I had it connected for security reasons. Never turn a head on without it being connected to a cab).

I'm glad you liked it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom