Axe FX II Wiki

M0JXD

New (second hand) Axe-FX II MkII owner here. I've been learning everything I can about it, it's an awesome piece of gear.

I've noticed that as the current gen units get more updates, discrepancies in the Wiki are increasing and it's getting harder to work out what actually applies to the previous gen units. It's like the wiki is slowly being rewritten to the point it will only apply to the modern family. A lot of information in the Wiki supplements the manual, so this means information is being lost.

For example, the Dimension Chorus. On the wiki page it says:
"The Chorus block provides three Dimension types: Dimension 1, 2 and 3. These correspond to the modes on the original device."

However, Axe-FX II only has two Dimension Chorus types. If we look at the page history, it turns out that these types do not correspond with actual modes as it does with the current generation of devices, but instead the inclusion of the analog BBD algorithm:
"Dimension 1 is the same as previous firmware and is "digital". Dimension 2 (firmware 17 and later) uses the new BBD algorithm."

It should be noted that this information is not mentioned in the Axe-FX II manual, and that the link to the source for the quote is broken due to the forum being restructured. As far as I can tell, having searched the forum, this older wiki page the only place with this information.

Other examples:

Flanger and Phaser blocks were re-done in Ares 12 - so a lot of that information has changed and no longer applies.
There was a "Shimmer" page, but it has been deleted and older versions seem inaccessible, although it looks like it has been gone a while.
On an older 2017 version of the Pitch page, the link to "Simeon's ADSR trick" is broken (the link is missing with no further explanation of the trick on the current page).

Would it be possible to create a new legacy wiki like how the Std/Ultra have, so as new firmware for the modern units comes out, information relating to the older (and still very good!) units does not get overwritten and lost? Or maybe some other alternative?

I understand your POV and request. You have a sharp eye. 👁️

Over the years I've tried to safeguard the wiki information about the previous hardware generation. But it's quite possible that some data was deleted when it became obsolete due to firmware updates for the current hardware.

@Greg Ferguson and I already have gone through the wiki and have separated the published quotes by current / previous generation, as much as possible.

To go through all wiki pages again and label all content by generation, frankly would require too much work for us volunteers. And I also doubt that it would benefit many users. You are the first to ask attention for this.

As I see it, the current wiki is quite complete(d), even though Greg and I still edit weekly and sometimes daily. Firmware updates will be processed, and the occasional error will be corrected, but that's mainly it.

If / when a new hardware generation is released some time in the future, the creation of a whole new wiki will be in order. But only if there's enough demand for it. The current wiki can then be frozen and archived, still allowing access as a repository, to allow the new wiki to focus solely on the new hardware.

Last edited:
If it's OK to add info about the previous products in the same manor as they are separated now I'll happily do my part to help if I find stuff :)

In fairness I usually spend more time reading manuals than actually using the equipment they're for. A lot of Gen-2 units are going on the second hand market at increasingly lower prices so there will likely be a slow and steady influx of new users.

I want to say a big thank you to you and Greg for the Wiki (plus the amp/drive guides) because they've been awesome resources. Honestly I agree the wiki is very complete and informative and in retrospect my post is quite nit-picky.

Maybe a note on the Axe-FX II page saying that to find the the most applicable information it can be worth going through the page history to before the Axe III came out (2017) would be useful.

Last edited:
No worries, I fully understand it. Good tip, I'll think of a way to add it.

Last edited:
Just to add, Cliff is one of, if not the most, prolific developers I have ever seen. Keeping up with his output is tough, partly because of his rate, but also because it’s hard to integrate it into the existing wiki pages. Is it new and needs to be added, but where? Is it a change and obsoleted previous information, then we need to find the references to the old information and archive or delete it …?

It’s a worthwhile task but sometimes I have to sit back and think about the change because we never want to do damage.

Back
Top Bottom