Axe-FX II vs the FM3

I have both, and the AXE II runs with tube preamps, while the FM3 works alone due to Cygness being qutie a step forward IMO (vs early Ares in the Axe II), though typically with an external Multi-FX in the FX Loop to extend it's capabilities.
As a sidebar, I wish you'd make a thread (if you haven't already) talking about your approach to marrying it with tube preamps. I know we've talked about it before- I saved the messages :)

As a sidebar, I wish you'd make a thread (if you haven't already) talking about your approach to marrying it with tube preamps. I know we've talked about it before- I saved the messages :)
Hi Chris, not much to it, just take the Power Amp and Power Supply parameters of the power section you want for your tube preamp, and add them to the "Tube Pre" in the Axe (Gen 3 in this case), then turn off Preamp Sag, lower the Input Trim to .5, and use the Master Volume, Presence, Depth if applicable, and the Power Amp Trim controls as desired to hit the virtual power section as hard or as easy as needed, and set the Speaker Impedance Curve to something applicable for your guitar cab or IR.

That's the authentic way, but of course you have all the other Amp Block controls as well as desired (EQ, Dynamics etc...).

So I've been out of the current fractal news loop for awhile and have just been enjoying my Axe-FX II Mark II. At this point I'm finally thinking of upgrading.
I'm not sure at what point in Cygnus that the FM3 is at but does it really sound and feel identical to the FX III in terms of raw amp tones?

From what I remembered the DSP in the Axe-FX II is more powerful than the DSP in the FM3, but I'm not sure how this manifests in real world use. I don't tend to make complex chains, I've experimented with dual-amps but I believe I could probably live without it. Just trying to figure out how much of an actual perceivable upgrade the FM3 will be to the Axe-FX II Mark II.

Sorry if this topic as been brought up before.
Hi,
How has your FM3 ride been so far? I also own the II Mk II and was looking for something compact which I can carry around. But it looks like the FM3 is already 2 years old now so was wondering if there is a new version coming soon. I am not in a hurry but would love to hear experiences from the II to FM3.
Thanks.

But it looks like the FM3 is already 2 years old now so was wondering if there is a new version coming soon
Fm3 is my first Fractal, so can't comment on 2to3 experience, but a few cents if I may - take a look at the timeline here: https://www.fractalaudio.com/about/
  • ~6 years of so between major models, meaning device line-ups
  • FM9 got a "turbo" update very quickly, being the last model on the market
  • FM3 didn't get any hints for "turbo" being planned in two years, so not sure if it even makes sense to wait
  • We already got two major modelling algorithm updates for the current line-up, with FM3 and FM9 still lagging behind a bit, so many FW updates to come
Not sure if it worth the wait until "new new" model is coming - from the pace of FW releases for the III, FAS plans to implement A LOT of things before going into the next major model. I'd really like to hear from FAS if they plan on FM3 Turbo, but FM3 has a lot of resale value, so it's pretty much safe bet to invest in it immediately.

I briefly tested the new beta 4 firmware on axe fx III. Many amp sims sound and feel different to current fm3 firmware to me.

But I believe that's temporary, per usual, and dependent on firmware advances the core of which fm3 is most likely to get.

Once fm3 gets whatever the final release of Cygnus X-2 is, considering all we've seen so far, I believe it'll sound more or less the same to axe fx running similar firmware (even though by that point axe fx may have Cygnus X3 Lel).

I say "more or less" because latency will be most likely be different -- whether this is perceptible while playing or not, I don't know -- and there's a few extra controls on axe fx 3 amp sims. I don't typically care about these, so it's not an issue for me.

I've made tests where, considering similar firmware, I saw no meaningful or even perceptible differences between fm3 and axe fx 3... Not for any of my tones at least, either for feel or recorded. It would have been impossible for me to tell you which is which even in a blind feel test.

And usually I'm quite perceptive when it comes to stuff like, I would say.

Preset switching is fast enough that the limitations of the FM3 have never been a problem for me live or close.
Unless you are making big money for a very picky audience, you'll likely be fine with a 3.
If you prefer a single "everything" preset and scenes just b/c you like that framework, you may want a 9 or a III.

Hi,
How has your FM3 ride been so far? I also own the II Mk II and was looking for something compact which I can carry around. But it looks like the FM3 is already 2 years old now so was wondering if there is a new version coming soon. I am not in a hurry but would love to hear experiences from the II to FM3.
Thanks.
I recently got an FM3 after playing my Axe II for 10 years. My 2 biggest complaints were always that the low end didn't chug and move with you as well as tube amps, and the mids could kind of get stiff and cocked-wahish when boosting high gain amps with drives.

I think the FM3 is much improved in both of those cases. The low end sounds and feels more realistic overall, and I dont notice the "stiff but blurred" feeling as much. There are more effect types which makes dialing in effects easier, and it has more of those 'modern' effects like cloud reverbs and such if you are into that.

One bad thing is the limitations. On the II I never had to think about if I could add a block. On the FM3 if you want to run the highest res cabs and reverbs you will have to make compromises on other effects you can use. However, it is nice you can do more with each block in some cases. Like the amp block now has input EQ, Drive, etc... so it kinda combines what would take 3-4 blocks on the II to do in one block.

Back
Top Bottom