Axe-Fx II vs Axe-FX Ultra Comparison CLIPS!!

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

Thanks to BORNintoMUSIC for reamping these clips with the Axe-Fx II. It's a PRS Custom 24 in the Fender and Marshall clips, first neck pickup split coil and then a full humbucker, I don't know what guitar they used in that Killswitch Engage song. The Recto thing isn't straight up comparable since it's the Recto New model in the Ultra and Recto Orange Modern in the Axe-Fx II so it might sound different because of that. All samples are going through the same IR I provided so this should simply showcase the difference of the amp simulation. I feel like the Marshall and Fender clips were driven a bit louder through the Axe-II and maybe vice versa on the KsE reamp.

Opinions are more than welcome!!

This is interesting. I think you're right about the Axe II stuff being driven a bit harder for the first two clips as even the waveforms on soundcloud seem to stay a bit fatter longer. Aside from that, I want to say that the Axe II sounded a bit more dynamic than the Ultra. Tone isn't necessarily better but that's the whole "eye of the beholder" type of thing. Or ear in this case. I wonder if It's because It's driven a bit harder, I saw which was which, or maybe in fact the II is more dynamic.

Yeah I'm broke so I can't really get my hands on an Axe II to determine that. :lol
I think the II actually is more dynamic though.

Great comparison. I think the clean Fender clip sounds a lot chimier with the Axe 2. The Ultra sounds a bit dull or dead in comparison. Concerning the rest of the clips I think it's hard to tell what's better. The JC800 is driven a bit more and seems to have more treble. The Ultra clip sounds fuller and warmer which I like better. The Recto clips are too different to compare but both sound awesome.

JCM800 on the Ultra sounds fatter.. More midrange. Are you running master high or low on the AXII? Master up fattens it IMO.

On my real JCM800, it sounded thin when i played low. Turn up master; and it barked (at the moon)

I thought the II sounded more 3D on the KSE file and the cleans had more sparkle as well. The in between tone was a toss up and they were pretty similar. The Ultra definitely holds up though and I consider it an old friend every time i hear an old recording of my band and it set Ed me faithfully for years.

This test was kind of a personal pursuit for me. I know I'll be using external IR's most of the time 1) because I want my Axe-Fx to sound different than other units 2) I own real amps and a studio so I make a lot of impulses 3) I might even use match EQ at times. So "what if" both GEN1 and GEN2 use the same IR?

Saying that "there are no differences" would be idiotic. Sure there's a difference and I feel like it's more like DVD quality vs HD quality rather than "one sound more like a real amp than another". I think that is a perfect comparison of the difference between the units in this comparison. After that everything else is personal preference.

My personal preference is that I'm very happy with the Ultra and pleased with the quality. It's certainly good enough for both studio and live situations. If I ever need more "realness" I have several real amps at the studio.... which I have matched into the Ultra. :D

Hahaha... my band is releasing a full length album soon where half of the songs are played on a real Orange Rockerverb and the other half is Axe-Fx matched. The difference is extremely small. Maybe something a bit different in the presence but other than that it's all the same.

I'll have to see if I want to share all of my matches but some of them might be coming soon... :)

Back
Top Bottom