Axe Fx II - Tuner & Setting Intonation

axel

Power User
Just curious, is the Axe Fx II tuner accurate enough to use when setting intonation on a guitar, or is a more accurate tuner needed?

Strobe tuners seem to be the weapon of choice in a lot of guitar shops, but I've had good luck using all kinds of tuners. Anything capable of around +/- 1 cent accuracy is plenty good enough. I think tuning technique is just as if not more important than tuner accuracy. A guitar will never tune or intonate perfectly anyway.

It's fine. On the front panel, the little "wheel" that turns acts as a strobe. Get it stable (as stable as possible) with an open string and a 12th fret harmonic, and you should be good. The accuracy of the tuner in the Axe unit is not in question. It's plenty accurate. In fact, about all tuners are "accurate", because detecting a frequency is not difficult technology. Some are quicker than others, or track a bit better though.

(The Axe tuner works fine, although I prefer using a Perterson strobe tuner for intonation/setup work, but I already had it.

My understanding is that almost any tuner is "accurate" enough. It's just math. Not even complex math.

But the displays can make some tuners better for use onstage and some are better for intonation on a workbench.
Meaning that that needle type is often "damped" to keep the needle from bouncing around. The tuner is doing the math but displaying an average of what it sees happening. They react a bit slower. That's a good thing onstage.

Strobe tuners just show the data in a more raw format. Better for intonation when you're taking your time.

The little wheel in the Axe acts like a strobe while the other part acts like a needle..... you get both displays.

Back
Top Bottom