Axe Fx II Sound Quality Loss When Recording Via USB ???

Just my two cents:

This is a well known phenomena. It actually is not really caused by the acoustic sound of the guitarstrings that you hear (extra) while recording (a good headset should cancel this for instance), but by the vibrations of the instrument you experience while playing. I'm sure there is a name for this, but I don't know it.

Here's a test, have a friend play the guitar while you record him or her in your DAW at a volume that drowns out the acoustic string noise. Then play it back. To your ears there will be little to no difference, but the player will experience a lot of difference. The vibrations travelling through the body are gone.

Same thing when you hear a recording of your speaking voice and you ask yourself the question, do I really sound like that? Yep, without experiencing the vibrations going through your body, you do.

The solution: dial in your sound using a looprecording en resist the urge to start fiddeling around with the knobs again when you start recording and you come to the conclusion that it suddenly "sounds so much better"..........

My guess is that the Axe is recording at 48Khz, and your Cubase project is set to 44.1Khz

Wait... this thread is from 2013?!

Just my two cents:

This is a well known phenomena. It actually is not really caused by the acoustic sound of the guitarstrings that you hear (extra) while recording (a good headset should cancel this for instance), but by the vibrations of the instrument you experience while playing. I'm sure there is a name for this, but I don't know it.

Here's a test, have a friend play the guitar while you record him or her in your DAW at a volume that drowns out the acoustic string noise. Then play it back. To your ears there will be little to no difference, but the player will experience a lot of difference. The vibrations travelling through the body are gone.

Same thing when you hear a recording of your speaking voice and you ask yourself the question, do I really sound like that? Yep, without experiencing the vibrations going through your body, you do.

The solution: dial in your sound using a looprecording en resist the urge to start fiddeling around with the knobs again when you start recording and you come to the conclusion that it suddenly "sounds so much better"..........

It's an audible phenomena. You can drown it out to an extent simply by turning up the volume of the incoming signal when using headphones. You can also reproduce the effect to an extent by recording two tracks, one with the amp'd signal and the other using a mic aimed at the body of your guitar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom