Axe FX II Shopping list

Velokki

Inspired
Naturally, buying an AXE FX II is not just buying the unit only. I'd like some good help here, fellow fractaliacs.

Currently, my shopping list is as follows:

-The main unit itself, Axe FX II
-MFC-101
-6m ethercon, possibly stomplabels
-Alto Truesonic Active TS115 FR speakers, pair
-Some kind of case for it with storage and transportation in mind - I'm clueless about this one, could you please recommend me some?
-A basic rack for the unit to stand on at band practice and gigs - recommendations?
-Cables - recommendations for this, too?
-Anything else that might be practical?

I'm really stoked... and scared at the same time. Gonna dish out a shiiiiitload of money on this one. But I've made my decision not to make any more compromises on the gear I buy. So, hit it. I want quality. I don't want my Axe FX to drop because of a cheap rack or be damaged in transit inside a low-quality case. But having food in the kitchen and electricity in the house would be nice too, so I'm definitely not spending money for the sake of spending money. I just don't want to buy anything twice because the first one was shitty etc.

I really want a good, complete rig now when I'm about to make the biggest investment of my life. These forums are without a doubt the best place for help in these matters! You already got your rigs, I haven't - help me build mine and let's make it a killer!

Hi mate

I'd recommend these Ethernet cables, as they have the neutrik rj45 connectors

http://bit.ly/17sxAFo

Also flightcasewarehouse.co.uk are the business for flight cases. Check out the Boschma range they do as well, not too expensive, but light and awesome.

ProAudioShop are brilliant for all the custom cabling you'll need (eBay) and are real quick

I've put a photo of the bigger rig I use, where I have the 4 cable method, but you should be able to see the Boschma case (I have a 2u Matrix 1000 amp in there too)

Happy building mateImageUploadedByTapatalk1371844035.737195.jpg

Idk what your budget is on this whole purchase but I would suggest keeping away from the TSAlto's unless you absolutely can't afford anything else. I owned one before moving up to the RCF NX series after attending the axe fest west shootout... they simply do not compare to any of the higher budget wedges. It wasn't worth the $350 I lost and could have put towards the amazing RCF's or something along those lines that really makes the axe fx shine. Just my 2 cents.

Idk what your budget is on this whole purchase but I would suggest keeping away from the TSAlto's unless you absolutely can't afford anything else. I owned one before moving up to the RCF NX series after attending the axe fest west shootout... they simply do not compare to any of the higher budget wedges. It wasn't worth the $350 I lost and could have put towards the amazing RCF's or something along those lines that really makes the axe fx shine. Just my 2 cents.

Well... I haven't. I'm still going to do a lot of research on the speakers. I don't know why, but I just don't feel that the Matrix Q12a would be loud enough to handle really loud metal drums and a venue of attendees. Many people seem to be having two Q12s in their setup instead of just one, which doesn't really raise my confidence in buying them. And I definitely can't afford two. Perhaps I should buy both the Matrix Q12a and some better-than-Alto FR speakers at the same time. Then return those which I don't like. Argh. This is so hard.

Hey man,

I think you have the right idea. I remember making the same list before I bought my Axe Fx II and MFC-101. You won't regret your purchases as long as you have done your research. Here are the Ethercon cables I purchased from amazon for the MFC101 MarkII:

Amazon.com: 25ft Durable Cat5e Cable with Neutrik EtherCon Series RJ45 Connectors: Computers & Accessories

They work great.

I would also recommend a power conditioner. It was like 100 dollars for the Furman I purchased. If you look around there is a recent post about power conditioners. And then you could make a decision on what's best for you.

Good luck bro.

Well... I haven't. I'm still going to do a lot of research on the speakers. I don't know why, but I just don't feel that the Matrix Q12a would be loud enough to handle really loud metal drums and a venue of attendees. Many people seem to be having two Q12s in their setup instead of just one, which doesn't really raise my confidence in buying them. And I definitely can't afford two. Perhaps I should buy both the Matrix Q12a and some better-than-Alto FR speakers at the same time. Then return those which I don't like. Argh. This is so hard.

My guess is that people have two of any kind of speaker to run the Axe in stereo. I have a pair of QSC K10's for stereo, that are plenty loud for practice, and as needed for house shows, etc. At venues I go direct to FOH - although my band likes to have the K10s as well for extra stage volume (so people in the front get blasted since we all set up at the front of the stage in line - drums in the center).

What kinds of venues do you play? What size rack will you need? My concern was/always is weight and ergonomics. So I have a light Gator 3 space rack that I love with a Vafam Sound front panel so I don't have to remove the back for hooking up all cables, etc.

Highly recommend a front panel:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/rigs-routing/68827-rig-vafam-sound-panel.html

I'd put the speakers higher on your list. Get something cheaper than the MFC if good speakers are otherwise out of your budget. Also don't worry about stereo at first, mono is perfectly fine. I'm happy with the Atomic FR combo I have so if you can afford it, the Atomic CLR should be a pretty good choice (or a used active Atomic FR). But they're not for everyone so read more on speakers to find something that works for you.

So yeah. Axe-Fx 2 first, good speakers second, controller third.

Quiklok WS540 is a great rack stand that will fit a full range cab under it.

I ordered a 40ft best tronics cat 5. Works great and is of excellent quality.

Check out the Diago Pedalboards.

I'd put the speakers higher on your list. Get something cheaper than the MFC if good speakers are otherwise out of your budget. Also don't worry about stereo at first, mono is perfectly fine. I'm happy with the Atomic FR combo I have so if you can afford it, the Atomic CLR should be a pretty good choice (or a used active Atomic FR). But they're not for everyone so read more on speakers to find something that works for you.

So yeah. Axe-Fx 2 first, good speakers second, controller third.

Totally agree. My CLR money is set aside and I got an FCB1010 with UNO which is great.

The carvin power conditioner is a much better value than the Furman and worth a look.

Yes, I have the Carvin AC120S and its a great unit and reasonably priced. While your ordering one you can also get the Carvin 4U rack case. I think you'll get $10 off when ordering it with the AC120 and it fits the Axe prefect. I have mine on an On Stage amp stand.

I dd the same thing when I decided to go with the Axe-FX II last July. My rig is in my signature, and here are some photos:

People seem to be giving the Alto's a hard time.

The way I see it is that your hearing is already muffled by earplugs when playing with a band and other instruments. Ofcourse a 300€ wedge will not be as good as the JBL PRX612 which seems to be the best bang for buck. But I don't think they can be three times better.

My philosophy: I have amazing monitoring at home Beyerdynamic DT880 (flattest headphones) and KRK monitors. I can wank away with those all I want.

I've been playing live for years with real amps that can't even be cranked on club stages. So my live monitoring has been what ever they have at clubs... beaten crappy EVs and Behringers. So I think just one Alto will serve most guitarists pretty well.

And I dont like the fact that I have two monitors pointing at "the spot where I should stand" when I'm never in one spot throughout a gig.

How many of us have actually witnessed a CLR live? You can't simply assume it's the best option. F.ex. I got the Atomic Reactor when I first got my Axe-Fx and it was unusably low volume for my band. Nowhere near a Single Rectifier with the same tubes and watts etc.

The comparison video on YouTube made the JBL seem like the best option.

How many of us have actually witnessed a CLR live? You can't simply assume it's the best option. F.ex. I got the Atomic Reactor when I first got my Axe-Fx and it was unusably low volume for my band. Nowhere near a Single Rectifier with the same tubes and watts etc.

The comparison video on YouTube made the JBL seem like the best option.
Agreed, I had a reactor too.... and was highly skeptical of the the CLR. Now that I own one in 3minutes I concluded... it blows away the RCF. Live I have witnessed, Nay,.. I have heard it and BELIEVE!!!! Have you?

Back
Top Bottom