Axe-Fx II Producing a High B

Overdrive

Inspired
My Axe-Fx II is producing a high B, sort of a ringing sound. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? It does it on high gain presets. If you turn the guitar's volume off, it goes away, but turn up the volume pot again, and when some "background" noise starts building up, there's the high B.

It does this on more than one preset.

Is something about to "go"? :-(

You need to post the exact conditions. Have you tried multiple guitars? Multiple cables? Unless it's on every preset it's probably the preset. Has something else changed electrically in your house to affect ground hum? Is the guitar you're using need a fresh 9V if it's got active pickups? What firmware are you using? Did this occur after changing the firmware?

As Chris would say - post a preset.

I've tried multiple guitars and multiple cords. It's coming from both K10 speakers, so it's not one of them. Pickups are not active. FW is 16.01, which I've been using for a long time, the noise is new. (I know, I need to update FW.) Nothing in the house has changed electrically. It does it on more than one preset, none of which previously had the noise.

I attached the preset. But as noted, the preset and FW version are old, the noise is new. I fear a hardware issue that will need service...

Attachments

• Brit JVM OD2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
I guess I'll ask what may be a silly question, but how do you have your guitar tuned? Standard? As in, EADGBE? Or are you down a half-step? I'm wondering if your second string is getting active from some sort of sympathetic driver. How loud do you have the speakers and how close to them are you? If the guitar cord you are using ( assuming this is how you connect), is long enough, can you step through the doorway, and shut the door, while holding the connected guitar. Does the high B dissipate or go away?

Or, have you tried turning off your speakers, and listened with some headphones? Is the high B still present?

Good luck,

Lee

New air conditioner? Some sort of interference the pickups are collecting?

You are going to shit a solid gold brick after you update. I'm excited for you.

Are you close to your computer? My pickups catch interference from my computer when it's running , turn it off or move away and it's gone!
Doubt it's the AxFx, I'd say your pickups are picking up interference! Shielded all my guitars with shielding paint and it helped tremendously!

Last edited:
I would try moving your setup to a new environment (maybe even to another room in your house) to help rule out possible electrical issues and computer interference.

G'day,

Just to confirm - I loaded your preset onto an XL+, and plugged in an american strat - Same result. I'm tipping microphonic pickups as I also get that with a Tele - lowering the gain, or adding capacitance to the input has been my only solution.

Pauly

edit: Scratch that - Adding capacitance did nothing... now my ears hurt dangnabbit

I've tried multiple guitars and multiple cords. It's coming from both K10 speakers, so it's not one of them. Pickups are not active. FW is 16.01, which I've been using for a long time, the noise is new. (I know, I need to update FW.) Nothing in the house has changed electrically. It does it on more than one preset, none of which previously had the noise.

I attached the preset. But as noted, the preset and FW version are old, the noise is new. I fear a hardware issue that will need service...

Well, after reading that, seems like it has something to do with the preset, if Pauly was able to recreate the problem.
That's good right? Check it with headphones, like mentioned prior. If it goes away something is vibrating.

G'day,

Just to confirm - I loaded your preset onto an XL+, and plugged in an american strat - Same result. I'm tipping microphonic pickups as I also get that with a Tele - lowering the gain, or adding capacitance to the input has been my only solution.

Pauly

edit: Scratch that - Adding capacitance did nothing... now my ears hurt dangnabbit

Thanks for that valuable research and result!

Well, after reading that, seems like it has something to do with the preset, if Pauly was able to recreate the problem.
That's good right? Check it with headphones, like mentioned prior. If it goes away something is vibrating.

True, although still a mystery is why the FAS Lead 2 also does it--and neither of them has done it until recently. Nothing has changed as far as I'm aware, but I must be wrong somehow.

I'll next try the headphones and problem solve from there if I hear it in them, too.

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Yeah, I always hated intermittent problems, too. Some of the hardest in which to isolate the root of the problem.

Best of luck,

Lee

Most modern power supplies are "switchers", and have a high-frequency component to them that you usually don't hear but as they age sometimes the transformers will start to loosen up and produced a high-pitched singing noise that's difficult to isolate. I wouldn't expect to be able to hear that through the monitors, though.

Most modern power supplies are "switchers", and have a high-frequency component to them that you usually don't hear but as they age sometimes the transformers will start to loosen up and produced a high-pitched singing noise that's difficult to isolate. I wouldn't expect to be able to hear that through the monitors, though.

Interesting! I think I may hear that, too. Lots of electronic gear in that room.

Another unusual thing to think about is your blood pressure. If it's high, it can cause ringing in the ears. Makes it tough to find a source for what you think you're hearing, since there isn't one.

A neat way to find out if the sound is real is to fire up a spectrum analyzer. They have apps for that for the iPad and others that work surprisingly well. Have a look around.

Another unusual thing to think about is your blood pressure. If it's high, it can cause ringing in the ears. Makes it tough to find a source for what you think you're hearing, since there isn't one.

A neat way to find out if the sound is real is to fire up a spectrum analyzer. They have apps for that for the iPad and others that work surprisingly well. Have a look around.

That's fascinating! My BP is under control, and I actually think I have mild tinnitus from years of loud guitar amps and cymbal hits close to my ears. :) But I'll check it out! You never know--4 years of ear training in college, and I can hear things in the house nobody else but maybe the cats hear.

That is true I having serious ringing, and of course it is a note, but does not bug me, thank god.
I still ironically hear EVERYTHING. It can be a curse sometimes, lol. Run through a decent power
conditioner and keep the unit away from any LCD TV's, they are the worst for buzz and hum.
You want an outlet with clean shot to the service and it should be clean, for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom