Axe-Fx II or AX8 for band practice and live shows?

It is a custom made breakout/patch panel from VFAM sound. I'm not sure if they make them anymore, as I believe the owner had medical issues or is no longer with us.. and shop is closed -someone else will likely confirm this. However, I picked another up from Reverb used (looks like to be user built), and am tweaking it for my III right now. You might want to check Bestronics as well.
Yes, sadly Hans passed away several years ago. He was a really cool guy that did excellent work at a very reasonable price.

VAFAM Sound website is no longer up...

You can also design your own panel here - it's probably what I would do if I decided to get another one:

https://www.redco.com/Advanced-Custom-Panel-Designer.html?type=3

Yes, sadly Hans passed away several years ago. He was a really cool guy that did excellent work at a very reasonable price.

VAFAM Sound website is no longer up...

You can also design your own panel here - it's probably what I would do if I decided to get another one:

https://www.redco.com/Advanced-Custom-Panel-Designer.html?type=3

Vafam made me several panels while they were a going concern. I was always happy with their work.

Thanks for the link to the Redco site. I wasn't aware they existed.

I currently don't own a Fractal product, and almost pulled the trigger on a Helix the other day before realizing the error of my ways. The last two live shows I went direct into the PA using a Joyo Ameican Sound pedal (Deluxe Reverb amp) coupled with a Mooer Radar pedal (cabinet sim) into a direct box... and I liked it so much that I decided to look into one of these.

I'll check out the available presets. I play mostly classic rock (Stones, Beatles) and would also need a good 80s clean guitar tone with the chorus or Dimension D/compression. Lots of the 80s guitar was heavy with delay/reverb and other effects too.

My gut feel is that you could be quite happy with an AX-8 given your musical preferences and experience. BTW, I really like that you've gigged with a stripped-down two-pedal rig into a DI. :)

Maybe this becomes an aspirational question for you to answer. As in: what *else* do you think you might do, musically, over (picking a number...) the next five years? In your position, if I really dug what I'm doing now *and* anticipated doing more of the same, I think I'd consider it a mistake (again: imagining myself in your shoes; just putting this out there for your consideration...) to tie myself down with the larger unit. You can throw the AX-8 in a bag (there's a WorldTour brand that makes bags in a wide range of sizes; I've been using them for years) with a power cord and two instrument cables and be ready to play any venue that has a decent PA. It's literally a no-brainer: the AX-8 goes at your feet. Done.

With the II+MFC, you have more to carry; both bulk and weight. Just one more cable, true, but now you have to figure out where to put the rack case *and* the MFC. If you always play venues with real stages, that's not going to be a problem. If you play dive bars or other venues where the "stage" is a corner of the room, maybe space should be a consideration...

Again, just food for thought... Hope this helps.

I bought the AXE-FX2 + MFC-101 from on Saturday at what I think was a very reasonable price... he was asking $450 more for the package but I made him a lower offer which he accepted. I also picked up a Gator GR-3S 3U case for it, which should be arriving shortly.

One noob question so far... is there a way to browse through the presets on the MFC-101 without making a program change? When I use the Up and Down buttons it changes to the next preset in the series immediately. and I'd like to be able to browse to find the next one I want first without making any changes to the one I was previously on.

Thanks - I did read the manual thoroughly but didn't seem to find an answer, so I guess it's not possible.
Did you check the Wiki on it? I don't know if that's possible either (I have an MFC) but I'd kind of be surprised if it was though there is a different bank select mode which the Wiki covers.

One noob question so far... is there a way to browse through the presets on the MFC-101 without making a program change? When I use the Up and Down buttons it changes to the next preset in the series immediately. and I'd like to be able to browse to find the next one I want first without making any changes to the one I was previously on.
What are your Bank Size and Bank Style settings on the MFC?

See pages 17-18 in the manual.

What are your Bank Size and Bank Style settings on the MFC?

See pages 17-18 in the manual.

Yeah, that looks like the hot button. Setting BankStyle to "None: The change loads nothing, showing the newly selected bank number or song name in the display until a preset is selected via footswitch."

Thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom